Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: cheap NZ and Loire

Betsy decided she wanted to lose 5 (politely doesn't mention I could
lose 20), and has returned to the Sonoma diet. First week she doesn't
have wine. So I opened a half-bottle to go with chicken and veggies
(snow peas, artichokes) en papillote and some grilled asparagus. The
wine was the Box O' Birds Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Lots of NZ SB
typicity -gooseberries, lime, a little grass and jalapeno. But a bit
more concentration is needed, comes across as a tad dilute. Also
suspect there's a touch of RS. Short finish. OK for the $6 I paid for
half, but not looking for more. B-/C+

Last night was flank steak with chiles and garlic, with a broccoli/
pepper/chevre side. Wine was the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent
Rouge" Touraine. Pretty bright wine, all cherries and strawberries, a
peppery spice. Pleasant herbal edge, a very nice wine that had enough
body for the steak, but lively enough to handle the spice and the goat
cheese. B++-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 11:18�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy decided she wanted to lose 5 (politely doesn't mention I could
> lose 20), and has returned to the Sonoma diet. First week she doesn't
> have wine. So I opened a half-bottle to go with chicken and veggies
> (snow peas, artichokes) en papillote and some grilled asparagus. The
> wine was the Box O' Birds Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). Lots of NZ SB
> typicity -gooseberries, lime, a �little grass and jalapeno. But a bit
> more concentration is needed, comes across as a tad dilute. Also
> suspect there's a touch of RS. Short finish. OK for the $6 I paid for
> half, but not looking for more. B-/C+
>
> Last night was flank steak with chiles and garlic, with a broccoli/
> pepper/chevre side. Wine was the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent
> Rouge" Touraine. Pretty bright wine, all cherries and strawberries, a
> peppery spice. Pleasant herbal edge, a very nice wine that had enough
> body for the steak, but lively enough to handle the spice and the goat
> cheese. B++-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

\
The SB was a '06

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default cheap NZ and Loire

> Last night was flank steak with chiles and garlic, with a broccoli/
> pepper/chevre side. Wine was the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent
> Rouge" Touraine. Pretty bright wine, all cherries and strawberries, a
> peppery spice. Pleasant herbal edge, a very nice wine that had enough
> body for the steak, but lively enough to handle the spice and the goat
> cheese. B++-

Usually a good pairing, goat cheese and CabFranc. Great notes.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 12:37�pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> > Last night was flank steak with chiles and garlic, with a broccoli/
> > pepper/chevre side. Wine was the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent
> > Rouge" Touraine. Pretty bright wine, all cherries and strawberries, a
> > peppery spice. Pleasant herbal edge, a very nice wine that had enough
> > body for the steak, but lively enough to handle the spice and the goat
> > cheese. B++-

> Usually a good pairing, goat cheese and CabFranc. Great notes.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

actually, I think the L'Arpent Rouge is Pineau d'Aunis, an obscure but
rather tasty red grape. Like CF, usually a bit lighter.
Posted to alt.food.wine

>> Usually a good pairing, goat cheese and CabFranc. Great notes.
>
> I find a ripe sauvignon does it for me.

Funny, I was thinking a Chenin Blanc. Appears Loire grapes go well with
goat - at least, provided it is a well-behaved goat, not a mature Banon -
what would you have with that? I have a guess, but let's see if I'm right

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Not sure what you were thinking that I was thinking of...

I think I forgot. You have any idea what I might have been thinking of? Even
so, can't say if you're right ...
Cheers
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 16, 2:40�pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
> >> Last night was flank steak with chiles and garlic, with a broccoli/
> >> pepper/chevre side. Wine was the 2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent
> >> Rouge" Touraine. Pretty bright wine, all cherries and strawberries, a
> >> peppery spice. Pleasant herbal edge, a very nice wine that had enough
> >> body for the steak, but lively enough to handle the spice and the goat
> >> cheese. B++-

> > Usually a good pairing, goat cheese and CabFranc. Great notes.

> I find a ripe sauvignon does it for me.
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Sauvignon Blanc is my fallback for most goat cheeses. In this case I
wanted sometrhing for the meat main course, but with enough acidity
and spice to not get killed by the (modest amount of) goat cheese.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Not sure what you were thinking that I was thinking of...
> I was thinking of a dry rancio from the Roussillon, or failing that any
> other oxydative white with lots of character. Is that what you thought I
> thought?

Funny, oxidative white was what came to my mind, too, Mike: Jura
Savignin, vin jaune, or even a Madeira. For a real twist, what about
Ch. Musar's white?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils wrote on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 06:43:45 GMT:

??>>> Usually a good pairing, goat cheese and CabFranc. Great
??>>> notes.
??>>
??>> I find a ripe sauvignon does it for me.

NGL> Funny, I was thinking a Chenin Blanc. Appears Loire grapes
NGL> go well with goat - at least, provided it is a
NGL> well-behaved goat, not a mature Banon - what would you
NGL> have with that? I have a guess, but let's see if I'm right

I know that it has become customary to use the French word for
the animal :"chèvre" to indicate the cheese but people do eat
goat so let's not confuse things by translating the cheese name
:-) To tell the truth, Indian curries made with goat can be
pretty good but I wouldn't drink Chenin Blanc with them!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I know that it has become customary to use the French word for the animal
> :"chèvre" to indicate the cheese but people do eat goat so let's not
> confuse things by translating the cheese name :-) To tell the truth,
> Indian curries made with goat can be pretty good but I wouldn't drink
> Chenin Blanc with them!

In Chateauneuf-du-Pape, on the town square, is a restaurant that has the
funniest menu card I've had the pleasure to read - it is, apparently,
translated by a computer from French. Hence you can get "hot goat" (chevre
chaud) and various other exotic delights. (I remember at the time finding
the translation of "filet de rouget" entertaining, filet was translated as
"net" and ... never mind ).

As for Indian curry with goat I might consider an Alsace Pinot Gris, or a
Rioja, provided the curry isn't too hot.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 17, 3:33�pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> > Ch. Musar's white?

> They make white? Did not know that. Will have to try. I find the reds
> rather uneven year to year...
>
> --

I find them rather uneven bottle to bottle.
Not a fan of the whites, though some say they must have at least 15
years on them,I've only tried younger.