Posted to alt.food.wine

Default I need to drink more Rheingau wines...

.... and not just the Nahe/Mosel/Alsace/Aussie Rieslings.

Opened a 2004 Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling
Spatlese this weekend.
Pale yellow colour. Lovely rich nose that keeps opening up with time
to show strawberries, apple, peach, citrus fruits and some earthy
notes. This is AWESOME on the palate - full bodied, leesy, chewy and
creamy in texture with great balance and bright strawberry and peach
flavours. Medium length finish, and it's a ridiculously good value at
$20. Now to hunt down the 06.

Salil

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 1:15�am, Salil > wrote:
> ... and not just the Nahe/Mosel/Alsace/Aussie Rieslings.
>
> Opened a 2004 Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling
> Spatlese this weekend.
> Pale yellow colour. Lovely rich nose that keeps opening up with time
> to show strawberries, apple, peach, citrus fruits and some earthy
> notes. This is AWESOME on the palate - full bodied, leesy, chewy and
> creamy in texture with great balance and bright strawberry and peach
> flavours. Medium length finish, and it's a ridiculously good value at
> $20. Now to hunt down the 06.
>
> Salil

Leitz is a real favorite in our house. I find this wine and the Rud.
Klosterlay Kab to be fine values year in and out. Thanks for update on
the '04.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 05:58:59 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>On Apr 1, 1:15?am, Salil > wrote:
>> ... and not just the Nahe/Mosel/Alsace/Aussie Rieslings.
>>
>> Opened a 2004 Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling
>> Spatlese this weekend.
>> Pale yellow colour. Lovely rich nose that keeps opening up with time
>> to show strawberries, apple, peach, citrus fruits and some earthy
>> notes. This is AWESOME on the palate - full bodied, leesy, chewy and
>> creamy in texture with great balance and bright strawberry and peach
>> flavours. Medium length finish, and it's a ridiculously good value at
>> $20. Now to hunt down the 06.
>>
>> Salil

>Leitz is a real favorite in our house. I find this wine and the Rud.
>Klosterlay Kab to be fine values year in and out. Thanks for update on
>the '04.

Rheingau has always been my favorite region. Small area, but the wines
I've experienced have always been notably rich and rewarding.
Unfortunately, the availability in the hinterland is limited and what
does make it here is either low quality or high priced.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 9:33 pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> Rheingau has always been my favorite region. Small area, but the wines
> I've experienced have always been notably rich and rewarding.
> Unfortunately, the availability in the hinterland is limited and what
> does make it here is either low quality or high priced.

I've started enjoying Rheingau wines more, but as you said the good
stuff isn't easy to come by here. I love Robert Weil's wines, but most
of the better ones from Kiedrich Grafenberg have huge price tags
attached - although an 04 Grafenberg Spatlese I had earlier this year
was truly sublime. Johannisberg is also fairly pricey and hasn't been
as consistent as a lot of my other favourites from other regions like
Donnhoff, Selbach-Oster or Schmitt-Wagner, all of whom I consider far
better value for money at their price points.
Leitz is the first producer I've come across from the Rheingau who's
really delivering awesome value with consistency for me. I was blown
away by the 06 Dragonstone, and the 04 Magda was another knockout.
Dale, will keep an eye open for the Klosterlay Kab. BTW - any
experience with his wines from the Berg Schlossberg vineyard? I've
seen a few from 04 at some moderate prices - and a 2000 I'm thinking
of gambling on, given an extremely low price for the vintage.

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 1, 12:15�am, Salil > wrote:
> ... and not just the Nahe/Mosel/Alsace/Aussie Rieslings.
>
> Opened a 2004 Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling
> Spatlese this weekend.
> Pale yellow colour. Lovely rich nose that keeps opening up with time
> to show strawberries, apple, peach, citrus fruits and some earthy
> notes. This is AWESOME on the palate - full bodied, leesy, chewy and
> creamy in texture with great balance and bright strawberry and peach
> flavours. Medium length finish, and it's a ridiculously good value at
> $20. Now to hunt down the 06.
>
> Salil

Each year, vintners from the Rheingau, one of Germany's most important
wine regions, present their products to connoisseurs and ordinary
tipplers alike. There are more than 600 different wines to taste in
the beautiful Fressgasse (officially, Grobe Bockenheimerstrase, a
small street in the heart of Frankfurt framed by exquisite food shops
and caf�s), the majority being tangy Rieslings. I developed a taste
for Rheingau here.

I would strongly recommend Prinz von Hessen 1998 Riesling Kabinett
Rheingau Johannisberger Klaus. This is one of my favorites, since it
seems to cover a lot of bases very well. It is sleek, multi-layered,
full of orange, lime, nectarine, and mineral. Very good now, but will
be even better in a couple of years. A bargin at $13.

You can find more information about this and other vintages
below.

I invite you to join my blog.
http://rowanhawthorn.blogspot.com/

--
Rowan Hawthorn

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 2, 2:47�pm, Salil > wrote:
> On Apr 1, 9:33 pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>
> > Rheingau has always been my favorite region. Small area, but the wines
> > I've experienced have always been notably rich and rewarding.
> > Unfortunately, the availability in the hinterland is limited and what
> > does make it here is either low quality or high priced.

> I've started enjoying Rheingau wines more, but as you said the good
> stuff isn't easy to come by here. I love Robert Weil's wines, but most
> of the better ones from Kiedrich Grafenberg have huge price tags
> attached - although an 04 Grafenberg Spatlese I had earlier this year
> was truly sublime. Johannisberg is also fairly pricey and hasn't been
> as consistent as a lot of my other favourites from other regions like
> Donnhoff, Selbach-Oster or Schmitt-Wagner, all of whom I consider far
> better value for money at their price points.
> Leitz is the first producer I've come across from the Rheingau who's
> really delivering awesome value with consistency for me. I was blown
> away by the 06 Dragonstone, and the 04 Magda was another knockout.
> Dale, will keep an eye open for the Klosterlay Kab. BTW - any
> experience with his wines from the Berg Schlossberg vineyard? I've
> seen a few from 04 at some moderate prices - and a 2000 I'm thinking
> of gambling on, given an extremely low price for the vintage.
>
> Cheers,
>
> �Salil

I'm afraid I don;t think I've had a Berg Schlossberg (from Leitz or
anyone). Mostly I buy the Rud Mag spatlese, the Rud Klost. kab, and
the Dragonstone. I also have liked a couple of Berg Rosenecks and Berg
Rottlands (I think Spatlese level). But I'd probably take a chance on
any Leitz wines at good prices.

WTN: 2 good wines- Rheingau and Savigny les Beaune DaleW Wine 0 15-02-2010 04:25 PM
TN: '07 Rheingau, '06 Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 23-02-2009 06:46 PM
TN: My wine's too big for my salad (Rheingau) DaleW Wine 13 17-08-2008 09:25 PM
TN: CA, NZ, Rheingau, LI DaleW Wine 0 16-02-2006 09:46 PM
A question on when to drink certain wines.... Roberta Wine 7 22-11-2005 11:52 PM