Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chablis, Pomerol, Bourgueil

Before I went to Tuscan tasting Friday (separate notes), I had dinner
at home- leftover chicken bouillabaisse. I opened the 2005 Vincent
Mothe Chablis AC. Had bought this on rec of a good friend who works at
a good store. He had said more Cote d'Or than Chablis. He's right. Big
ripe pear fruit, a bit of earth, some light vanilla. Next night it was
still young, fresh, and fruit driven. This is a big fruit forward
Chardonnay, pretty decent in that light, but not what I want in
Chablis. If I didn't already have a bunch of Pernot/Matrot Bourgogne
blancs I might think about getting some, but I pass on more. B

Saturday I took an experimental walk with Lucy (she had minor surgery
Th, can't wear collar, so used her harness) across town to retrieve my
car. Then took her to Newark airport to greet David as he arrived home
for spring break (Basset hounds are very popular at airports). Betsy
was working double, I braised a small chuck roast in wine and lamb
stock. Wine was the 2005 Christian Moueix Pomerol. Plummy fruit, some
currant, just a little graphite. Mild tannins, decent length. Does
taste like Pomerol. Good for negoce Pomerol. B

David has said that he doesn't get much good Asian food in Scotland.
So tonight Betsy (with Dave's help) made jantaboon (stir fried beef
with fresh rice noodles) and kanah namman hoi (Chinese broccoli with
mushrooms, Betsy used white beech mushrooms). I opened the 2006
Catherine & Pierre Breton "Trinch!" Bourgueil. *Whoo hoo. My favorite
version of this to date. Black cherries and berrries, a little
woodbark, some tobacco and spice. This is ripe but with good acidity.
Good length, food-friendly, juicy and slurpable. Great for what it
is., this is definitely a buy more. B++

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Before I went to Tuscan tasting Friday (separate notes), I had dinner
> at home- leftover chicken bouillabaisse.

Chicken bouillabaise? Whassat?

> David has said that he doesn't get much good Asian food in Scotland.
> So tonight Betsy (with Dave's help) made jantaboon (stir fried beef
> with fresh rice noodles) and kanah namman hoi (Chinese broccoli with
> mushrooms, Betsy used white beech mushrooms). I opened the 2006
> Catherine & Pierre Breton "Trinch!" Bourgueil. Whoo hoo. My favorite
> version of this to date. Black cherries and berrries, a little
> woodbark, some tobacco and spice. This is ripe but with good acidity.
> Good length, food-friendly, juicy and slurpable. Great for what it
> is., this is definitely a buy more. B++

Good to hear about the '06 Trinch! We quite liked the '05 around here,
so if the '06 proves to be even better, it'll be quite a hit. The
dishes that Betsy made are Vietnamese?

Thanks for the interesting notes.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 11:34�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Chicken bouillabaise? �Whassat?

Sorry, I usually put in quotation marks. It's a recipe for a Provencal
fricassee with fennel and Pernod, accompanined by aioli. Judy Rodgers
also has a recipe for "Chicken bouillabaise", though hers doesn't use
the Pernod

> Good to hear about the '06 Trinch! We quite liked the '05 around here,
> so if the '06 proves to be even better, it'll be quite a hit. �The
> dishes that Betsy made are Vietnamese?

Really liked the "Trinch!" . Deserves the exclamation point this
year.
I believe both dishes are Thai, but will check.

Posted to alt.food.wine
PK PK is offline

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> DaleW wrote:
>> Before I went to Tuscan tasting Friday (separate notes), I had dinner
>> at home- leftover chicken bouillabaisse.

> Chicken bouillabaise? Whassat?

sounds fishy to me!

pk

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 30, 10:51�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> I believe both dishes are Thai, but will check.

The kanah namman hoi is listed as Thai. From "Savoring Southeast
Asia" by Joyce Jue. Chinese broccoli and mushrooms (called for
straw,but she saw some gorgeous white beech mushrooms). With chiles,
garlic, fish sauce, and oyster sauce (though last sounds more
Cantonese to me- do Thais use oyster sauce?).

A bit OT for the cooks: do most people who cook just keep one type of
fish sauce? We tend to buy nuoc mam (Vietnamese) if at Chinese
grocery, nam pla if at little Thai store. Use interchangably. Does
anyone think its neccessary to stock both?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Dale,

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:43:32 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>A bit OT for the cooks: do most people who cook just keep one type of
>fish sauce?

Yes. I usually go for a thai one based on shrimps, which I get at a
Chinese supermarket in South London.

>grocery, nam pla if at little Thai store. Use interchangably. Does
>anyone think its neccessary to stock both?

Nope, absolutely not.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges

TN: Fireblock (Clare) and Guion (Bourgueil) DaleW Wine 1 21-05-2010 05:28 PM
TN: Champagne, Saar, Chablis, and Lalande de Pomerol DaleW Wine 0 06-01-2010 02:01 AM
Bourgueil 2004 Joseph Coulter[_3_] Wine 1 30-07-2007 02:45 AM
Bourgueil Joseph Coulter Wine 1 22-05-2006 09:20 PM
TN: outlying wines (outside Pomerol and Chablis) Dale Williams Wine 0 22-08-2004 02:03 AM