FoodBanter.com

-   -   1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/152395-1996-caymus-napa-valley.html)

Bi!! 28-03-2008 10:53 AM

1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet

I opened one of my few remaining bottles of 1996 Caymus Cabernet last
night. As I'm finding with many of the '96 Napa cabs, it's time to
drink up. The wine was a bit brickish in the glass showing a brownish-
red tint. The aroma was full of golden plums, cedar and cigar with a
hint of leather and exotic spice. The wine had gained quite a bit of
complexity in a medium bodied frame. While there is still plenty of
upfront red fruit, plum and currant on the palate, the secondary
flavors of leather, tea and tobacco are starting to creep in. The
tannins are smooth and well resolved. Not a blockbuster but quite
pleasant. If you got 'em...drink 'em. "B+"

JB 28-03-2008 07:04 PM

1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet

Bill,

Thanks for the report. I have a couple and I'll not try to hold on to them
for much longer.

John

Bi!! 28-03-2008 08:13 PM

On Mar 28, 3:04�pm, "JB" > wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the report. I have a couple and I'll not try to hold on to them
> for much longer.
>
> John
>
> --"Bi!!" > wrote in message

> >I opened one of my few remaining bottles of 1996 Caymus Cabernet last
> > night. �As I'm finding with many of the '96 Napa cabs, it's time to
> > drink up. �The wine was a bit brickish in the glass showing a brownish-
> > red tint. �The aroma was full of golden plums, cedar and cigar with a
> > hint of leather and exotic spice. �The wine had gained quite a bit of
> > complexity in a medium bodied frame. �While there is still plenty of
> > upfront red fruit, plum and currant on the palate, the secondary
> > flavors of leather, tea and tobacco are starting to creep in. �The
> > tannins are smooth and well resolved. �Not a blockbuster but quite
> > pleasant. �If you got 'em...drink 'em. "B+"- Hide quoted text -

FYI, I've had these since release at 55F in my cellar.