Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN 2000 Claret and mini vertical

Solihull Fine Wine Soc, March Tasting

A look at some 2000's which should be "a pointe" also a mini vertical of
four years of a classed growth.

Blind as usual

Ch Potensac, cru Bourgeois, a youthful with some purple, a very simple
generic nose of cassis and cedar, but very restrained. A gentle mouthful,
fruit and spice. short. Disappointing.

Ch Marsau, Cotes de Francs. ( A new one on me). Bright brick, an organic
marshmallow tobacco nose. Berry fruit and spice, some tannins. Faded after
an hour.

Ch Cantenac Brown, Margaux, bright but poor extract, cinnamon cedar forest
floor nose, great entry, fruit and tannins in balance but finished short.

Brown, Pessac Leognan, bright and viscous extract++ , a raw bab nose, very
seaweedy, toast, Excellent balance of fruit and serious tannins, spice.
Excellent,

Carillion d'Angelus, St Emilion, ( 2nd wine of Angelus), a bright deep
stunner, restraind complex, violets and berries, leather, soft entry,
restrained fruit, soft tannins, long. wonderful, but not yet, a real
sleeping beauty. WOTN

Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine, huge
legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar and
minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN

Now a mini vertical of Grand Puy Lacoste.

1995, hint of brown, a little dull, a nose of stewed fruit and chips!! odd,
a weak mouthful of fruit and pathetic tannins, also hints of MSG.. an odd
bottle or is it this poor? Others felt I was being a little harsh.

1990, huge extract, no age, perfumed cassis, organic, soft chewy tannins and
fruit, almost blackcurrant juice, long. Excellent

1986. deep brick rather dull, oh dear a mixture of taint and slight
oxidisation, reflected in the dried out palate. Pity, should have been
lovely.

1982 Some age but sparkled in the glass, classic claret, old cupboards and
leather, cedar. Soft entry, tannins going but still spice and fruit, a most
pleasant wine at the peak, good but not great.

The big boys of 2000 need a lot more time.

I thought the Grand Puy Lacoste flight was a St Emilion....back to the
classroom JT !!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote in
k:

> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine,
> huge legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some
> cedar and minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity,
> berries and tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN

Great to read. I may open one of my two bottles because it is available in Spain at about 50 Euro/bottle.

Thanks for your note.

Santiago
Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote in message
k...
> Solihull Fine Wine Soc, March Tasting
>
>> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine,
>> huge

> legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar and
> minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
> tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN

I opened the '99 on Sunday. Big disappointment! Short and characterless!
Tonight I opened a '97 Ch. Cap de Faugères. What a contrast - beautiful,
heady cassis and dark fruit on the nose and palate, and about a quarter of
the cost of the BHB.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 9:50�pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "John T" > wrote in message
>
> k...> Solihull Fine Wine Soc, March Tasting
>
> >> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine,
> >> huge

> > legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar and
> > minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
> > tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN

> I opened the '99 on Sunday. �Big disappointment! �Short and characterless!
> Tonight I opened a '97 Ch. Cap de Faug�res. �What a contrast - beautiful,
> heady cassis and dark fruit on the nose and palate, and about a quarter of
> the cost of the BHB.
> Graham

Nice note. Surprised the Cap de Faugeres lasted so long, though I
think I liked the '97. I do think Right did better in '97. CdF is
usually a value,.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 1:51�pm, "John T" > wrote:
> Solihull Fine Wine Soc, March Tasting
>
> A look at some 2000's which should be "a pointe" also a mini vertical of
> four years of a classed growth.
>
> Blind as usual
>
> Ch Potensac, cru Bourgeois, a youthful with some purple, a very simple
> generic nose of cassis and cedar, but very restrained. A gentle mouthful,
> fruit and spice. short. Disappointing.
>
> Ch Marsau, Cotes de Francs. ( A new one on me). Bright brick, an organic
> marshmallow tobacco nose. Berry fruit and spice, some tannins. Faded after
> an hour.
>
> Ch Cantenac Brown, Margaux, bright but poor extract, cinnamon cedar forest
> floor nose, great entry, fruit and tannins in balance but finished short.
>
> Brown, Pessac Leognan, bright and viscous extract++ , a raw bab nose, very
> seaweedy, toast, Excellent balance of fruit and serious tannins, spice.
> Excellent,
>
> Carillion d'Angelus, St Emilion, ( 2nd wine of Angelus), a bright deep
> stunner, restraind complex, violets and berries, leather, soft entry,
> restrained fruit, soft tannins, long. wonderful, but not yet, a real
> sleeping beauty. WOTN
>
> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine, huge
> legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar and
> minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
> tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN
>
> Now a mini vertical of Grand Puy Lacoste.
>
> 1995, hint of brown, a little dull, a nose of stewed fruit and chips!! odd,
> a weak mouthful of fruit and pathetic tannins, also hints of MSG.. an odd
> bottle or is it this poor? Others felt I was being a little harsh.
>
> 1990, huge extract, no age, perfumed cassis, organic, soft chewy tannins and
> fruit, almost blackcurrant juice, long. Excellent
>
> 1986. deep brick rather dull, oh dear a mixture of taint and slight
> oxidisation, reflected in the dried out palate. Pity, should have been
> lovely.
>
> 1982 Some age but sparkled in the glass, classic claret, old cupboards and
> leather, cedar. Soft entry, tannins going but still spice and fruit, a most
> pleasant wine at the peak, good but not great.
>
> The big boys of 2000 need a lot more time.
>
> I thought the Grand Puy Lacoste flight was a St Emilion....back to the
> classroom JT !!

thanks for notes. I have the Potensac (damn), Bahans, Brown. Data
appreciated!

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Mar 12, 1:51�pm, "John T" > wrote:
>> Solihull Fine Wine Soc, March Tasting
>>
>> A look at some 2000's which should be "a pointe" also a mini vertical of
>> four years of a classed growth.
>>
>> Blind as usual
>>
>> Ch Potensac, cru Bourgeois, a youthful with some purple, a very simple
>> generic nose of cassis and cedar, but very restrained. A gentle mouthful,
>> fruit and spice. short. Disappointing.
>>
>> Ch Marsau, Cotes de Francs. ( A new one on me). Bright brick, an organic
>> marshmallow tobacco nose. Berry fruit and spice, some tannins. Faded after
>> an hour.
>>
>> Ch Cantenac Brown, Margaux, bright but poor extract, cinnamon cedar forest
>> floor nose, great entry, fruit and tannins in balance but finished short.
>>
>> Brown, Pessac Leognan, bright and viscous extract++ , a raw bab nose, very
>> seaweedy, toast, Excellent balance of fruit and serious tannins, spice.
>> Excellent,
>>
>> Carillion d'Angelus, St Emilion, ( 2nd wine of Angelus), a bright deep
>> stunner, restraind complex, violets and berries, leather, soft entry,
>> restrained fruit, soft tannins, long. wonderful, but not yet, a real
>> sleeping beauty. WOTN
>>
>> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine, huge
>> legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar and
>> minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
>> tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN
>>
>> Now a mini vertical of Grand Puy Lacoste.
>>
>> 1995, hint of brown, a little dull, a nose of stewed fruit and chips!! odd,
>> a weak mouthful of fruit and pathetic tannins, also hints of MSG.. an odd
>> bottle or is it this poor? Others felt I was being a little harsh.
>>
>> 1990, huge extract, no age, perfumed cassis, organic, soft chewy tannins and
>> fruit, almost blackcurrant juice, long. Excellent
>>
>> 1986. deep brick rather dull, oh dear a mixture of taint and slight
>> oxidisation, reflected in the dried out palate. Pity, should have been
>> lovely.
>>
>> 1982 Some age but sparkled in the glass, classic claret, old cupboards and
>> leather, cedar. Soft entry, tannins going but still spice and fruit, a most
>> pleasant wine at the peak, good but not great.
>>
>> The big boys of 2000 need a lot more time.
>>
>> I thought the Grand Puy Lacoste flight was a St Emilion....back to the
>> classroom JT !!

> thanks for notes. I have the Potensac (damn), Bahans, Brown. Data
> appreciated!

double damn from me, I have some Potensac _and_ Cantenac Brown...

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

> double damn from me, I have some Potensac _and_ Cantenac Brown...

Emery, the C-brown wasn't that bad, the only real negative comment made was
the lack of extract for a wine of this standard in this vintage,

The Potensac was disappointing, I have been a follower for many years, yet
skipped the 2000. I certainly would go and open a bottle and see what you
think.

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Mar 12, 9:50?pm, "graham" > wrote:
> "John T" > wrote in message
>
> k...> Solihull Fine Wine
> Soc, March Tasting
>
> >> Bahans Haut Brion, Pessac Leognan. (2nd of HB), purple brooding wine,
> >> huge

> > legs, a dumb nose that gave hints of layers of complexity, some cedar
> > and
> > minerals. A mothful fo big tannins yet fruit and acidity, berries and
> > tomato. Infanticide. Will be wonderful 2nd WOTN

> I opened the '99 on Sunday. ?Big disappointment! ?Short and characterless!
> Tonight I opened a '97 Ch. Cap de Faug?res. ?What a contrast - beautiful,
> heady cassis and dark fruit on the nose and palate, and about a quarter of
> the cost of the BHB.
> Graham

Nice note. Surprised the Cap de Faugeres lasted so long, though I
think I liked the '97. I do think Right did better in '97. CdF is
usually a value,.
Thanks, Dale.
I have one bottle left!!
About 2 years ago, a local shop must have bought in a job-lot. I bought a
couple of bottles on the recommendation of a very experienced and ethical
assistant (he'll recommend the cheap stuff if he he thinks it's good value).
I kept going back for more, buying in 2s and 3s (and drinking them) until
they had sold out. The '04 was selling for nearly double what I paid for
the '97.
I don't know what is wrong but every decent (i.e., expensive) left banker
I've had recently has left me underwhelmed, including a '96 Pichon B (more
on that when I can find my notes).
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

The 1982 Grand Puy was a lovely wine (and still is). Sounds like you
had a nice but not top notch experience with your bottle.The only
solution is to try another soon. Bring it over here with you and I'll
pop a 1970.....

TN : 2000 claret, left or right bank.? JT Wine 2 12-02-2011 08:57 AM
82 Cos, 2000 Bin 389, 2000 Gloria, 99 Stellenzicht, 85 Grahams Bill S. Wine 1 21-03-2010 08:06 PM
Two Rhones and a Claret Bill S. Wine 2 18-01-2009 01:37 AM
Claret interested Wine 13 01-08-2005 06:11 PM
TN: Gloria mini-vertical, meeting Mark S. Dale Williams Wine 29 17-10-2004 11:33 AM