Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Feb. Lunch Notes

2006 Chteau Thieuley Blanc - this white Bordeaux showed a light
citrus nose (it was a bit too cold at the beginning) And I thought it
had a small hollow spot in the middle, but it filled in well and
showed flavour interest with a fresh finish.

2006 Le Vieux Pin Pinot Noir Voila - this BC wine was salmon pink
colour with a copper tinge, reticent nose that finally showed some
strawberry, soft low acid finish - would have been much better a bit
crisper.

1995 Bodegas Julián Chivite Navarra Reserva - browning edges, mature
leathery nose, mature on palate, and losing fruit since the last time
I tasted it. heading nowhere good, time to drink up..

1999 Doudet-Naudin Pommard Les Vignots - another reticent nose, but
sweet fruit was present. Very pleasant but showing age and also
needing to be drunk up.

1985 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon (Sonoma)- in keeping with our apparent
theme of superannuated wines I had unearthed this one, the regular,
not the jack London bottling. Fairly dark in colour with ambering
edges, it showed a pruny sweet fruit nose, was smooth on palate with
no remaining tannin, but a nice hit of caramel at the end and good
acid.

1987 Philip Togni Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa)- always love the old
Tognis and this was no exception. Good colour, with a spicy plum nose
with hints of dill, then relatively soft in the mouth for these wines
in terms of both tannin and acidity, both present but moderate, and
good levels of fruit. Very enjoyable.

2000 Tommasi Crearo della Conca d'Oro Veronese IGT - sweet warm
spirity nose with a hint of spearmint, good weight, not too tannic,
and a good finish, but spoiled for me by excessive sweetness on
palate.

1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino - lovely mature nose on
this wine, typical berry and a bit of oak, perhaps a touch on the
sweet side. Typical excellent acidity and an all round pleasant wine.
A winner. No rush on this.

2000 Te Awa Farm "The Boundary" - a New Zealand Bordeaux blend with a
rich sweetish nose (but not too sweet), with spice and a bit of
leather. Medium weight and a dry medium length finish. One to look
for.

2001 Plaisir de Merle Cabernet Sauvignon - this Cape wine was dark,
with a fairly sweet nose with white pepper, mint and fruit, very good
acidity - some might say too much but I thought it correct to the
source and not over the top. Could use more time.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"2006 Chteau Thieuley Blanc - this white Bordeaux showed a light
citrus nose (it was a bit too cold at the beginning) And I thought it
had a small hollow spot in the middle, but it filled in well and
showed flavour interest with a fresh finish.

Bill
A fave with our wine chains over here, at GBP 6.64, not going to break the
bank, and its lovely in summer.

Waitrose tasting note
"This is an aromatic wine with a good intensity of exotic flavours,
particularly citrus and pineapple. Full-bodied and dry, this wine has a
smoky finish and is an excellent partner to white fish, asparagus or mussels
in a white wine sauce."

Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:25 PM
May Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 27-05-2010 09:11 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 2 28-02-2005 01:25 AM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 14 12-09-2004 09:46 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 30-11-2003 11:00 AM