FoodBanter.com

-   -   Brewer Clifton, Cliff Lede, Clio (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/150482-brewer-clifton-cliff-lede.html)

Bi!! 06-03-2008 05:53 PM

Brewer Clifton, Cliff Lede, Clio

Tasted last night with friends these are all new vintage releases in
our market.

2006 Brewer Clifton Rio Vista Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir- This wine
was so light in color that I mistook it for a Rose in the glass. Pale
pink and a bit watery in the glass. Nose of strawberry and flowers
with typical pinot cola notes. Much bigger on the palate than the
color would suggest much like a Volnay. Red cherry, vanilla, apple
pie spice, a firm minerality and a fair amount of acidity on the
palate. Slightly tannic on the finish. This one needs a few years. B
+

2005 Cliff Lede Stag's Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon-Very dark
purple in the glass. Heavy nose of cassis, roasted meat, mint, and
oak. Fruit forward and lush with a somewhat heavy use of oak. Plenty
of black currant, fig, plum and black coffee on the palate. Medium
heavy on the palate the wine could use a few years to come together.
Very soft ripe tannins. "B"

2005 Bodegas El Nida Jumilla "Clio"-70% Monastrell and 30% Cabernet.
A real inky black whopper of a wine. Nose of blueberries, espresso
and black dirt. Huge mouthful of wine. Very ripe blackberry,
blueberry, spice, black pepper and black coffee. Everyting about this
wine is black including your teeth after drinking it! Smooth tannins
with a fair amount of oak on the finish. Needs a number of years. "A"

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 11-03-2008 10:45 PM

Brewer Clifton, Cliff Lede, Clio

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> Tasted last night with friends these are all new vintage releases in
> our market.
>
> 2006 Brewer Clifton Rio Vista Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir- This wine
> was so light in color that I mistook it for a Rose in the glass. Pale
> pink and a bit watery in the glass. Nose of strawberry and flowers
> with typical pinot cola notes. Much bigger on the palate than the
> color would suggest much like a Volnay. Red cherry, vanilla, apple
> pie spice, a firm minerality and a fair amount of acidity on the
> palate. Slightly tannic on the finish. This one needs a few years. B
> +
>
> 2005 Cliff Lede Stag's Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon-Very dark
> purple in the glass. Heavy nose of cassis, roasted meat, mint, and
> oak. Fruit forward and lush with a somewhat heavy use of oak. Plenty
> of black currant, fig, plum and black coffee on the palate. Medium
> heavy on the palate the wine could use a few years to come together.
> Very soft ripe tannins. "B"
>
> 2005 Bodegas El Nida Jumilla "Clio"-70% Monastrell and 30% Cabernet.
> A real inky black whopper of a wine. Nose of blueberries, espresso
> and black dirt. Huge mouthful of wine. Very ripe blackberry,
> blueberry, spice, black pepper and black coffee. Everyting about this
> wine is black including your teeth after drinking it! Smooth tannins
> with a fair amount of oak on the finish. Needs a number of years. "A"

Really loved this Jumilla when we bought a bottle at Bobbie Flay's in
the Borgata. I had the 2003 and it was ready.

Bi!! 12-03-2008 12:54 AM

On Mar 11, 5:45�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �"Bi!!" > wrote:
> > Tasted last night with friends these are all new vintage releases in
> > our market.

> > 2006 Brewer Clifton Rio Vista Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir- �This wine
> > was so light in color that I mistook it for a Rose in the glass. �Pale
> > pink and a bit watery in the glass. �Nose of strawberry and flowers
> > with typical pinot cola notes. �Much bigger on the palate than the
> > color would suggest much like a Volnay. �Red cherry, vanilla, apple
> > pie spice, a firm minerality and a fair amount of acidity on the
> > palate. �Slightly tannic on the finish. �This one needs a few years. �B
> > +

> > 2005 Cliff Lede Stag's Leap District Cabernet Sauvignon-Very dark
> > purple in the glass. �Heavy nose of cassis, roasted meat, mint, and
> > oak. �Fruit forward and lush with a somewhat heavy use of oak. �Plenty
> > of black currant, fig, plum and black coffee on the palate. �Medium
> > heavy on the palate the wine could use a few years to come together.
> > Very soft ripe tannins. "B"

> > 2005 Bodegas El Nida Jumilla "Clio"-70% Monastrell and 30% Cabernet.
> > A real inky black whopper of a wine. �Nose of blueberries, espresso
> > and black dirt. �Huge mouthful of wine. �Very ripe blackberry,
> > blueberry, spice, black pepper and black coffee. �Everyting about this
> > wine is black including your teeth after drinking it! �Smooth tannins
> > with a fair amount of oak on the finish. �Needs a number of years. "A"

> Really loved this Jumilla when we bought a bottle at Bobbie Flay's in
> the Borgata. I had the 2003 and it was ready.- Hide quoted text -

I bought a 6 pack of the 2003 on release and I still have 3 bottles
left. I agree that it's drinking well right now. The 2005 is just so
massive that I think it needs a little time to come together.