Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ping---> Lord St. Helier

My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs. We
just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less that
$13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to receive 91
points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this. Have you any
advice for me? Thanks!

BTW my wife and I are determined to visit NZ in the near future but will
give plenty of warning beforehand.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Professor" > wrote in message
> My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.
> We just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less
> that $13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to
> receive 91 points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this.
> Have you any advice for me? Thanks!
>
> BTW my wife and I are determined to visit NZ in the near future but will
> give plenty of warning beforehand.

If Mr. St. Helier isn't around I invite anyone else's input with knowledge
of
Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:03:48 GMT, "Professor" >
wrote:

>"Professor" > wrote in message
>> My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.
>> We just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less
>> that $13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to
>> receive 91 points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this.
>> Have you any advice for me? Thanks!
>>
>> BTW my wife and I are determined to visit NZ in the near future but will
>> give plenty of warning beforehand.
>>

>If Mr. St. Helier isn't around I invite anyone else's input with knowledge
>of
>Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc.

Quick Google of Te Tera SB showed the pricing isn't remarkable:

http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?item=38072

Quality gets high marks:

http://winodepot.invisionzone.com/in...showtopic=9236
http://ambassadorofwine.blogspot.com...s-te-tera.html

The 91 point rating came from Wine Spectator.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Professor" wrote .........
> My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.
> We just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less
> than $13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to
> receive 91 points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this.
> Have you any advice for me? Thanks!

Firstly, most people, when referring to NZ Sauvignon are really talking
about SB from the Marlborough region in the South Island - zingy, vibrant,
gooseberry flavours.

Te Tera is made by Martinborough Vineyards in the Martinborough region in
the southern North Island.

SB from Martinborough is a little more "tropical" - hints of passionfruit
and guava - I am not saying better or worse than Marlborough - just
different.

Te Tera rates alongside Palliser Estate as one of the better Martinborough
Sauvignons - I like it (but I have been a long time advocate of this region)

I cannot comment on the price - but by NZ standards, it seem more than
reasonable at $US13.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "Professor" wrote .........
>> My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.
>> We just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less
>> than $13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to
>> receive 91 points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this.
>> Have you any advice for me? Thanks!
>>

> Firstly, most people, when referring to NZ Sauvignon are really talking
> about SB from the Marlborough region in the South Island - zingy, vibrant,
> gooseberry flavours.
>
> Te Tera is made by Martinborough Vineyards in the Martinborough region in
> the southern North Island.
>
> SB from Martinborough is a little more "tropical" - hints of passionfruit
> and guava - I am not saying better or worse than Marlborough - just
> different.
>
> Te Tera rates alongside Palliser Estate as one of the better Martinborough
> Sauvignons - I like it (but I have been a long time advocate of this
> region)
>
> I cannot comment on the price - but by NZ standards, it seem more than
> reasonable at $US13.
>
> st.helier

Thanks! Cloudy Bay seems to be the best Marlborough SB that makes it here
to the Northeast US in quantities and retails for $30+/bottle, not exactly
cheap. It goes very well with your NZ oysters which I was blown away by
when I tasted some last fall. We so look forward to visiting NZ sometime
soon.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Professor" wrote ..............

> Thanks! Cloudy Bay seems to be the best Marlborough SB that makes it here
> to the Northeast US in quantities and retails for $30+/bottle, not exactly
> cheap. It goes very well with your NZ oysters which I was blown away by
> when I tasted some last fall. We so look forward to visiting NZ sometime
> soon.

Well, when your plans start to take shape, please let me know (initially via
this forum) and I shall be only too glad assist (and even host if you plan
to come my way)

Cheers

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 6, 1:21 pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:03:48 GMT, "Professor" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Professor" > wrote in message
> >> My wife and I have become quite fond of New Zealand's Sauvignon Blancs.
> >> We just received an offer of some 2006 Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc for less
> >> that $13/bottle. Are you familiar with this wine? It is reputed to
> >> receive 91 points from somebody but I've become wary of claims like this.
> >> Have you any advice for me? Thanks!

> >> BTW my wife and I are determined to visit NZ in the near future but will
> >> give plenty of warning beforehand.

> >If Mr. St. Helier isn't around I invite anyone else's input with knowledge
> >of
> >Te Tera Sauvignon Blanc.

> Quick Google of Te Tera SB showed the pricing isn't remarkable:
>
> http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?item=38072
>
> Quality gets high marks:
>
> http://winodepot.invisionzone.com/in...nborough-viney...
>
> The 91 point rating came from Wine Spectator.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"www.thunderchief.orgwww.thundertales.blogsp ot.com

Professor is a known spammer. Beware

PING CHUNG [ Proof of LORD Almighty GOD: Pastorio died on April Fool's day and diabetic FR continues to rage. Cary Kittrell General Cooking 0 20-04-2007 06:25 PM
PING: Lord St Helier Matt S Wine 10 21-09-2006 04:11 AM
Lord St Helier in Provence Cwdjrx _ Wine 6 24-09-2005 06:37 PM
st. helier... Dan the Man Wine 8 20-08-2004 03:43 AM
Attention Lord St Helier!!! (was Attention Swooper) swooper Wine 1 16-11-2003 06:19 AM