Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Alsace, Pfalz, Loire, Brazil

Had some friends over for dinner tonight. Supposed to be 2 couples,
but one person got sick, so that couple bailed, we ended up with just
4 of us. Which ended up being nice, good friends sharing a lot.

Nancy and Ron brought a couple dozen Bluepoint oysters, we had fun
shucking (once I got back into the groove), with traditional sides
plus a very cool sauce of dashi with pepper-infused daikon. Wine was
the 2005 Pepiere (Marc Olliver) Muscadet. Definite saline/seabreeze
notes, good fruit, but the salinity and mineral notes dominate.
Excellent length and depth for a under-$10 wine, B+.

Betsy had made coq au Riesling as well as a broccoli rabe/pea saute,
we had a couple of Rieslings with it:

2004 Francois Baur "Herrenweg" Riesling
Bigger styled Riesling, some petrol, honey notes (though totally dry),
citrus fruit with floral overnotes. Good acidity, lots of body,
bracing. B+/B

2006 Reichsrat von Buhl "Armand" Riesling Kabinett
Sweet, ripe, peaches, Rainier cherries, and citrus. Tasty, but could
use a little more depth. B

We also had a red, as Ron is primarily a red guy. I haven't had many
Brazilian wines, but enjoyed the 2004 Salton "Desejo" Merlot.
Definitely "internationally" styled, but I have no expectations for
Brazilian reds, so that's ok by me. A bit of toasty oak, round red
berry and plum fruit, ripe but balanced. A nice wine, I'd happily
drink again. B/B+

Good night, good wine, good friends.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Alsace, Pfalz, Loire, Brazil

> 2004 Francois Baur "Herrenweg" Riesling
> Bigger styled Riesling, some petrol, honey notes (though totally dry),
> citrus fruit with floral overnotes. Good acidity, lots of body,
> bracing. B+/B

Dale,
We have been regulars with Francois Baur for ten years (first time was in
1998), and we have seen them change into biodynamics ... also the changes
brought on by the warming ... your description tallies perfectly with how we
perceive their wines - mucho fruit and brawn, perhaps less elegance.

Madame Veronique confided in us that she missed the possibility of making a
less fruit driven wine, a few years ago. The warm summers give too much
sugar, to the point that we for the first time last spring tasted a Muscat
that was semi-sweet despite not being VT. The times they are (a-)changing,
are they not?

CHeers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 17, 8:32�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> > 2004 Francois Baur "Herrenweg" Riesling
> > Bigger styled Riesling, some petrol, honey notes (though totally dry),
> > citrus fruit with floral overnotes. Good acidity, lots of body,
> > bracing. B+/B

> Dale,
> We have been regulars with Francois Baur for ten years (first time was in
> 1998), and we have seen them change into biodynamics ... also the changes
> brought on by the warming ... your description tallies perfectly with how we
> perceive their wines - mucho fruit and brawn, perhaps less elegance.
>
> Madame Veronique confided in us that she missed the possibility of making a
> less fruit driven wine, a few years ago. The warm summers give too much
> sugar, to the point that we for the first time last spring tasted a Muscat
> that was semi-sweet despite not being VT. The times they are (a-)changing,
> are they not?
>
> CHeers
>
> Nils

Indeed, I think the days of light and elegant Alsace wines may be
behind us.
I did remember you liked Baur, one of the reasons (along with retailer
rec) that I bought. My only previous Baur experience was a rather
disappointing '98 Brand Riesling.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 17, 8:41 am, DaleW > wrote:

> Indeed, I think the days of light and elegant Alsace wines may be
> behind us.

Perhaps you are right if the warming trend of recent years continues.
However the positive side of this is perhaps there may be more SGN
wines in Alsace and more BA and TBA in colder regions of Germany such
as the Saar. We will know the end is near when Clos Ste. Hune can no
longer produce a dry Riesling and it drinks well early on :-). I also
suspect that it would take quite a bit of warming before Austria can
no longer produce a good dry Riesling. There have been cycles of cool
and warmer years in the past. For example there was a cycle of many
cooler and unripe years for Bordeaux in the 1930s. I think it would
take observation over several decades to separate such short period
cycles from a long term effect such as global warming with much
confidence.

TN: Bdx, Burgs, Loire, and Alsace DaleW Wine 0 13-02-2012 06:22 PM
TN: Mostly Alsace, plus Loire, Gaillac at a fun event DaleW Wine 0 12-12-2010 10:16 PM
TN: Loire, Alsace, and a pink Wachau DaleW Wine 0 30-10-2010 11:33 PM
TN: Alsace white, Loire red DaleW Wine 0 13-03-2009 11:38 PM
TN: Loire, Pfalz, and satellite Bdx DaleW Wine 0 17-11-2007 04:17 AM