Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Many Burgs and others, at Peter Pratts

Today was the 3rd annual Peter Pratt's Peter Lugeresque lunch. Peter
Luger's has great steaks, but a horrible wine list and won't allow
corkage. So every January 50-60 wine geeks gather at Peter Pratt's
Inn, where they cook a bunch of porterhouses from Luger's retail
outlet, along with sides of creamed spinach, fried onions, potatoes,
and mushrooms. That's after about 6 different passed appetizers
(mushroom quesadillas were my fave), caesar salad, and tomatoes with
balsamic.

My table was originally Burgundy, but the Rhone table folded in as a
second Cali table formed. Nice group of people at my table, and good
to see old friends at many other tables. I'm especially grateful to
John Belden, who brought me several samples from the Bdx table. But my
heroes are Chris Kravitz and Aaron deMello, as I didn't have to drive!

The wines:

Whites from my table:

2002 R & V. Dauvissat "Vaillons" Chablis 1er
Good wine, but just a little dull, some chalk and mineral
notes,someone said it showed better later but I didn't revisit. B

2004 W. Fevre Bougros "Cote de Bouguerots" Chablis GC
Wow, this showed nicely. I've had issues with Fevre's wood in the
past, but any oak is in background here. Pear and citrus fruit, lots
of mineral, great length. A-

2004 Moreau "Valmur" Chablis 1er
Clean, saline, good length. B+

1999 J. Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune blanc
No pre-ox here. Good acids, clean pear and grapefruit, a little oak.
Holds well through day, and is very good with some of the cheeses. A-/B
+

Whites from other tables:

2001 F.X. Pichler "Loibner Berg" Smaragd Riesling
Thanks Diane. Lovely minerally Riesling, some petrol too. Good on
palate, but GREAT on nose. A-/B+

1993 Druid (Dujac) 'Limozin' Meursault
Tasted very late in day, but showing well. B+/B

Bubbly from my table
2002 Jose Dhondt Blanc de Blancs
Apple, spice,biscuits, nice. B+

Bubbly from another table:
1981 Lanson Brut Champagne (from Magnum)
Thanks Jay! A (pleasant) cheesy/leesy note over solid apple fruit with
some lemon zest. Mature but not at all tired. B+

Reds from my table
1997 Grivot Clos Vougeot.
This was a table fave, but just didn't quite do it for me. A little
oak, ripe red fruit, I (alone) thought short. B-

1998 Geantet Pansiot Charmes-Chambertin
This was one I was sceptical of stylistically, but it wasn't over the
top. Ripe, full, a little oak. B/B+

1997 Jadot Charmes-Chambertin
A bit of ass in the glass. I thought it might blow off, but still
there much later. Other than the brett, a ripe and easy wine. B

2003 Usseglio "Mon Aieul" Chateauneuf-du-Pape
A bit of a shocker in the middle of the Burgs. Huge, sweet, dense.
Even with meat I didn't especially enjoy today, but with right
accompanying wines and food this might go much higher than B/B-

1993 Damoy Chambertin-Clos de Beze
Dark fruit, good acids, some mocha and cinnamon. Youthful, really
nice. A-/B+

1993 Gros Freres amd Souers Clos de Vougeot "Musigni"
Still showing some oak, some found too acidic, while I found it
shockingly flat for a '93. Sweet, a bit empty, I brought it so can
loudly proclaim it worst wine of table. C+

2000 J. Drouhin Griotte-Chambertin
Luckily, I brought this too, so I don't feel bad. Is this a great
vintage of Drouhin Griotte? No, but it is a solid year that is
drinking well right now (seems to be my theme re 2000 Burgs). Lovely
middleweight, red plum and red cherry accented by cocoa and earth. Not
the longest wine of the night, but tasty and elegant. A-/B+

2001 Comtes de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny
I think most people who really like Vogue might really like this wine.
A little TOO exuberant/flashy for me, big sweet red fruit and exotic
spices. Can't deny quality, but not my style. B

2001 Mugneret-Gibourg "Feusselotes" Chambolle-Musigny
Ay caramba! More my style. Higher acids, beautiful red cherry and
berry fruit, some white pepper, tasty. I love 2001 Chambolles! A-/B+

2004 Comtes de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny
I wouldn't have guessed this was same wine as the 2001 in 100 guesses.
Still sweet fruit, but with a big green/herbal note. I think many
people would not like this, but I did. B+

Reds from other tables:
1993 Jadot "Amoureuses" Chambolle-Musigny
This was what I was hoping for from my '93, lovely balanced wine. A-/B
+

1985 La Mission Haut Brion
Huge tobacco and earth nose, nice balance of fruit, tannins,and acid, B
+/A-

1989 Angelus
Really wonderful nose of coffee and forest floor, but quite hard and
ungenerous on the palate. Needs time, for now B.

1990 Angelus
Woo hoo, more like it. Similar nose to the '89, but here the palate is
lush and giving. Maybe the '89 will equal in time, but for today the
champ. A-

1990 Figeac
Apparently some thought this corked, but not to me. This wine always
has some green, but it's a bit more in this bottle. Kind of herb meets
uncured tobacco. I like, but not as much as some bottles of this. B+/B

1985 Leoville Las Cases (from mag)
Format shows, could use a little time. Ripe cassis fruit, lead pencil,
damp forest floor. Fruit really leads, but without overwhelming the
secondary elements. Nice wine! A-

1989 Leoville Las Cases
This is nice, but pales after the '85. Blackcurrant fruit, a little
cedar, some tannins. B+

Dessert:
Moscato (d'Asti?) --producer unknown- John brought this over as a
palate cleanser, unusual, a waxy note that made me guess sparkling
Loire. No, Italian, so I got Moscato on guess 2. Not complex, but
quite pleasing. B

1977 Dow Vintage Port
Pretty bottle, not so heavy, bright and lively. B+

1976 Taylor-Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Port
Burnt sugar/caramel, quince and dark berry, B+

There was also a 6 putts Tokay that I never saw bottle of, but thought
good.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Great notes from an interesting evening, Dale. Two questions:

> 2004 W. Fevre Bougros "Cote de Bouguerots" Chablis GC

What's the deal here? Bougros is a GC vineyard, so what's the extra
designation? Is that a lieu-dit or something?

> 1997 Grivot Clos Vougeot.
> This was a table fave, but just didn't quite do it for me. A little
> oak, ripe red fruit, I (alone) thought short. B-

Is the problem here producer or year? If the former, I'll take that '98
Grivot Vosne-Romanée out of the shipper.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 27, 11:18�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Great notes from an interesting evening, Dale. �Two questions:
>
> > 2004 W. Fevre Bougros "Cote de Bouguerots" Chablis GC

> What's the deal here? �Bougros is a GC vineyard, so what's the extra
> designation? �Is that a lieu-dit or something?

Yes, it's a parcel of Bougros (they have a regular Bougros also). They
have a similar deal in Fourchaume.

> > 1997 Grivot Clos Vougeot.
> > This was a table fave, but just didn't quite do it for me. A little
> > oak, ripe red fruit, I (alone) thought short. B-

> Is the problem here producer or year? �If the former, I'll take that '98
> Grivot Vosne-Roman�e out of the shipper.

Not enough experience to know, sorry!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 27, 8:27�pm, DaleW > wrote:

> 1993 Gros Freres amd Souers Clos de Vougeot "Musigni"
> Still showing some oak, some found too acidic, while I found it
> shockingly flat for a '93. Sweet, a bit empty, I brought it so can
> loudly proclaim it worst wine of table. C+

I actually took home remaining 1/3 of '93 "Musigni" . Didn't taste
Mon, but on Tues I did. Some slight oxidative notes, but actually
holding ok, and tasted better than Sunday. Showing more '93 acid, more
delineated black cherry fruit. Not great, but better.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On Jan 27, 8:27�pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
>> 1993 Gros Freres amd Souers Clos de Vougeot "Musigni"
>> Still showing some oak, some found too acidic, while I found it
>> shockingly flat for a '93. Sweet, a bit empty, I brought it so can
>> loudly proclaim it worst wine of table. C+

> I actually took home remaining 1/3 of '93 "Musigni" . Didn't taste
> Mon, but on Tues I did. Some slight oxidative notes, but actually
> holding ok, and tasted better than Sunday. Showing more '93 acid, more
> delineated black cherry fruit. Not great, but better.

And why does this get the designation "Musigni"?? And why doesn't it
run afoul of conflict with Musigny AOC? Just curious...

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

snip preceeding.

> And why does this get the designation "Musigni"?? And why doesn't it run
> afoul of conflict with Musigny AOC? Just curious...
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Hi Mark

Clos Vougeot is a large vineyard and is often further subdivided.
Anne Gros GC Clos de V is labelled "maupertui" for example.

see http://www.burgundy-report.co./maps/closvougeot.jpg

cheers greybeard

(making 1st post for about a year)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"greybeard" > wrote in message
> snip preceeding.
>>
>> And why does this get the designation "Musigni"?? And why doesn't it run
>> afoul of conflict with Musigny AOC? Just curious...
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>> --
>> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Hi Mark
>
> Clos Vougeot is a large vineyard and is often further subdivided.
> Anne Gros GC Clos de V is labelled "maupertui" for example.
>
> see http://www.burgundy-report.co./maps/closvougeot.jpg
>

> cheers greybeard
>
> (making 1st post for about a year)

sorry, typo, try this instead:
http://www.burgundy-report.com/maps/closvougeot.jpg

greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 30, 5:13�pm, "greybeard" > wrote:
> "greybeard" > wrote in message

> > snip preceeding.

> >> And why does this get the designation "Musigni"?? �And why doesn't it run
> >> afoul of conflict with Musigny AOC? �Just curious...

> >> Mark Lipton
> >> --
> >> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> > Hi Mark

> > Clos Vougeot is a large vineyard and is often further subdivided.
> > Anne Gros GC Clos de V is labelled "maupertui" for example.

> > seehttp://www.burgundy-report.co./maps/closvougeot.jpg

> > cheers greybeard

> > (making 1st post for about a year)

> sorry, typo, � try this instead:http://www.burgundy-report.com/maps/closvougeot.jpg
>
> greybeard- Hide quoted text -

As Greybeard mentions, the "Musigni" is a lieu-dit within the CdV. I
believe it abuts Musigny.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

>>> Clos Vougeot is a large vineyard and is often further subdivided.
>>> Anne Gros GC Clos de V is labelled "maupertui" for example.
>>> seehttp://www.burgundy-report.co./maps/closvougeot.jpg
>>> cheers greybeard
>>> (making 1st post for about a year)

>> sorry, typo, � try this instead:http://www.burgundy-report.com/maps/closvougeot.jpg

> As Greybeard mentions, the "Musigni" is a lieu-dit within the CdV. I
> believe it abuts Musigny.

Thanks to both of you. I was reasonably sure that it must constitute a
lieu-dit within the CdV vineyard, but the apparent similarity to Musigny
AOC is what threw me. As clear as mud, I'd say.

Mark Lipton

Peter Lucas, PLucas, PeterLucas, Peter, PL... Shona General Cooking 9 21-02-2009 03:11 AM
[tn] Old Burgs never die ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 14-01-2006 11:20 AM
Many Burgs, some others with Peter Luger steaks- but at Peter Pratts DaleW Wine 0 08-01-2006 06:13 PM
TN: Some '88 Burgs Mark Lipton Wine 2 26-09-2005 06:08 PM
[TN] Old Burgs never die ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 8 06-04-2004 06:05 AM