Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [OT] I'll miss my mate, Ed.

Today is a typical summer Sunday in paradise; this morning we drove out to
our favourite beach; I plunged into the pristine Pacific surf, and wallowed
for the best part of half an hour.

I returned to the sand, and laid in the sun in quiet contemplation.

The beach was not overly crowded - a few dozen sun-seekers maxing their tans
and fishermen trying their luck; but no overt exuberance on display.

I few hundred kilometres to the south and west, a couple of crazy young men
arrived in NZ having paddled their canoe from Australia, and though some
40,000 people were on the beach to welcome and congratulate them on their
feat, they, in themselves were sad, because the one person who they wished
to meet was absent.

You see, Ed is dead!

To most of the world, Sir Edmund Hillary was simply the first man to reach
the summit of the Everest, and return.

To the Nepalese people, he attained an almost god-like stature, not because
of his climbing exploits, but because, upon his return from the mountain
tops, when he could have used his instant fame to make a personal fortune,
most of the money he earned went back to the Nepalese people.
Sir Ed established the Himalayan Trust in 1960 to battle poverty in the
mountain villages of Nepal. The trust has built three hospitals, 13 health
clinics, more than 30 schools, and bridges and roads.

To New Zealand, he was a hero - and he became "our mountain".

As a boy, I recall listening to the "wireless" when almost on cue, during
the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, an excited NZ Prime Minister announced
to the country that the NZer (Hillary) had conquered Everest.

In later years, I was spellbound when this adventurer drove a modified farm
tractor to the South Pole.

Later still, the adventurer became a diplomat and humanitarian.

Through my entire adult life, somewhere "out there" was Ed Hillary: unlike
most other adults, I knew that superman was real, and was a Kiwi.

And what made him real was the fact that, though he could have lead a life
in the stars, he chose, forever, to keep his feet on the ground.

His name and address appeared in the Auckland phone directory: he often
answered his own phone; speaking at length with a child who dared call to
get assistance with a school project.

Sir Edmund liked a drink: no doubt at State functions or at Her Majesty's
garden parties, he would have consumed the finest of wines - he preferred
Jameson's Irish Whiskey.

I never met Ed, but know others who did. He was just bloody good company
with an incredible generosity of spirit, and an incredible modesty as well.

Most New Zealanders of my age grew up in awe of him, but over time the
mystique around 'the legend' disappeared and we just ended up loving him.

He is truly, the greatest New Zealander to have ever walked this earth.

And I shall miss him.

--

Andrew St.Helier-Bourke

Posted to alt.food.wine

Cheers to that, mate. Ed Hillary was a hero in the old-fashioned sense
of the word.

Curiously, his name had re-surfaced in our family in recent weeks
before his death. My daughter recently returned from an 8 week trek in
the Himalayas - she not really knowing who Sir Edmund was except as a
name in a book. But whilst hiking, she met a number of trekkers and
climbers who, when they spoke of the 'greats', always concluded the
conversation with either Mallory or Hillary. But what impressed her the
most: the locals were mostly unaware of Mallory and most of the others,
but all of them know who Ed Hillary is. His continued work on behalf of
the Sherpa people has left a legacy that will be remembered in those
high mountains for a very long time - and for reasons far greater than
his ascent of a mountain.

Raise a glass to one of the great Kiwis. And then send us some more
recommends on some good Kiwi wines. I'm still annoyed that I can't get
that wonderful Omahu Gravels Viognier over here.

On 2008-01-12 19:11:11 -0800, "st.helier" > said:

> Today is a typical summer Sunday in paradise; this morning we drove out to
> our favourite beach; I plunged into the pristine Pacific surf, and wallowed
> for the best part of half an hour.
>
> I returned to the sand, and laid in the sun in quiet contemplation.
>
> The beach was not overly crowded - a few dozen sun-seekers maxing their tans
> and fishermen trying their luck; but no overt exuberance on display.
>
> I few hundred kilometres to the south and west, a couple of crazy young men
> arrived in NZ having paddled their canoe from Australia, and though some
> 40,000 people were on the beach to welcome and congratulate them on their
> feat, they, in themselves were sad, because the one person who they wished
> to meet was absent.
>
> You see, Ed is dead!
>
> To most of the world, Sir Edmund Hillary was simply the first man to reach
> the summit of the Everest, and return.
>
> To the Nepalese people, he attained an almost god-like stature, not because
> of his climbing exploits, but because, upon his return from the mountain
> tops, when he could have used his instant fame to make a personal fortune,
> most of the money he earned went back to the Nepalese people.
> Sir Ed established the Himalayan Trust in 1960 to battle poverty in the
> mountain villages of Nepal. The trust has built three hospitals, 13 health
> clinics, more than 30 schools, and bridges and roads.
>
> To New Zealand, he was a hero - and he became "our mountain".
>
> As a boy, I recall listening to the "wireless" when almost on cue, during
> the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2, an excited NZ Prime Minister announced
> to the country that the NZer (Hillary) had conquered Everest.
>
> In later years, I was spellbound when this adventurer drove a modified farm
> tractor to the South Pole.
>
> Later still, the adventurer became a diplomat and humanitarian.
>
> Through my entire adult life, somewhere "out there" was Ed Hillary: unlike
> most other adults, I knew that superman was real, and was a Kiwi.
>
> And what made him real was the fact that, though he could have lead a life
> in the stars, he chose, forever, to keep his feet on the ground.
>
> His name and address appeared in the Auckland phone directory: he often
> answered his own phone; speaking at length with a child who dared call to
> get assistance with a school project.
>
> Sir Edmund liked a drink: no doubt at State functions or at Her Majesty's
> garden parties, he would have consumed the finest of wines - he preferred
> Jameson's Irish Whiskey.
>
> I never met Ed, but know others who did. He was just bloody good company
> with an incredible generosity of spirit, and an incredible modesty as well.
>
> Most New Zealanders of my age grew up in awe of him, but over time the
> mystique around 'the legend' disappeared and we just ended up loving him.
>
> He is truly, the greatest New Zealander to have ever walked this earth.
>
> And I shall miss him.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> Today is a typical summer Sunday in paradise; this morning we drove out to

He was indeed a giant. Both as a mountaineer and as a human being. He was
very much
respected here in the states by anyone who even thought of climbing. I never
met him,
but I did meet Tenzing Norgay briefly in the early 70's. They were a great
team.
I will certainly be toasting his memory with a glass or two of New Zealand
wine in
the days ahead. Godspeed, Edmund.

Jim Mehl

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I will certainly be toasting his memory with a glass or two of New Zealand
> wine in
> the days ahead. Godspeed, Edmund.

Up there with the great heroes of my childhood, Hillary, Bader, Gibson and
Roy of the Rovers, Digby and Dan Dare.

I can remember climbing the big oak in our field, playing at Everest with
filched washing line and cheating with 6" nails.

St Helier, just had an e-mail from C'church, seems pretty warm in NZ.

Another slurp on the excellent Lanson NV Black Label.

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John Tav" wrote ........

> Up there with the great heroes of my childhood, Hillary, Bader, Gibson and
> Roy of the Rovers, Digby and Dan Dare.

I would add to that list, Double VC winner Charles Upham (by the by - have
you read that Peter Jackson, he of Lord of the Rings fame, is to produce a
remake of The Dam Busters?)

> St Helier, just had an e-mail from C'church, seems pretty warm in NZ.

JT - it is summer downunder - most pleasant 28-30C here in the winterless
North of the country (with sea water temps around 22C); somewhat warmer in
the Central Otago - and certainly better than the 2C and 5C you have been
experiencing!

Hurry back!

st.h

Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 4 26-07-2010 08:40 PM
Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 12 21-06-2010 06:43 PM
challenge for me mate Alan Truism General 1 09-02-2007 05:10 AM
Mate Dada Tea 29 14-09-2005 02:25 PM
Where to buy Yerba Mate! beejhorton Tea 1 07-11-2003 01:11 PM