Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine tasting party

Hello everyone!!

I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a wine
tasting party. Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.

Thanks

John

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sounds like a tricky concept to me. Winetasting can be quite daunting
for those not used to the idea. Unless you can give more detail and
persuade me that it is a good idea, I'd say the best sort of
compromise is just to serve lots of different wines and try to make
sure people try a little of each one.

We had a Champagne party once along those sorts of lines. Several
different Champagnes poured in order by us. But apart from that
everyone just stood around chatting as per a normal party.

IME just having lots of different wines on offer doesn't work. People
just decided what they liked and kept drinking that, rather being
inquisitive. And our friends are generally all into wine to a greater
or lesser degree.

Or you could maybe organise some sort of winetasting game - but I'm
not sure if the guests you have in mind would appreciate that sort of
thing.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:44:49 -0500, "John Laguna"

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:44:49 -0500, "John Laguna"
> wrote:

> I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a wine
> tasting party. Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.

To me the words "wine tasting" and "party" don't go together. Tasting
wine, comparing different wines, making written notes on what each is
like and what the differences are, rating and ranking the wines, etc.
are the things wine tasting is about. Those kinds of activities are
much too serious for a party.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ken Blake > wrote in
news
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:44:49 -0500, "John Laguna"
> > wrote:
>

>> I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a
>> wine tasting party. Any advise or a website that I can get some
>> ideas.

> To me the words "wine tasting" and "party" don't go together. Tasting
> wine, comparing different wines, making written notes on what each is
> like and what the differences are, rating and ranking the wines, etc.
> are the things wine tasting is about. Those kinds of activities are
> much too serious for a party.

The down side of such and event would be if it were like some events I
have attended in the past where two or three people bring semi serious
wine and everybody else shows up with the 47 pound Rooster or Yellow
Tail. On the other hand it could be an interesting event if all
attending have a similar philospohy and pocketbook.

An event along the lines of a Bill Spohn afternoon would be good- OK
fantastic and beyond my dreams-Some regulars post notes from events that
could be considered parties and yet have some significant wine education
involved.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John Laguna" > wrote in message
. ..
> I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a wine
> tasting party. Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.

Not sure about a 'party', but I went to a wine tasting session where
everyone sat in front of an A4 bit of paper with circles labels 1-6 with a
glass of each wine on top, and an accompanying sheet with a list of the
wines and space for tasting notes. We had a kind of 'class leader' who was
guiding us on the subject, but I guess you don't have to.

As others have said, if you just have loads of bottles about and ask people
to try each then you'll just get a couple of idiots who pour themselfs a
50cl glass from one bottle and sit there drinking that for rest of the
evening. Perhaps you should either have a party OR a wine tasting session. I
don't think trying to combine the two would work!

Posted to alt.food.wine
PK PK is offline

"Squet34678" > wrote in message
. co.uk...

> As others have said, if you just have loads of bottles about and ask
> people to try each then you'll just get a couple of idiots who pour
> themselfs a 50cl glass from one bottle and sit there drinking that for
> rest of the evening. Perhaps you should either have a party OR a wine
> tasting session. I don't think trying to combine the two would work!

it can work perfectly well!

Everyone gets a pencil and a piece of paper with a mix of serious and
humorous questions (Eg Is there a motoring connection to this wine? for
Riesling)

Employ a couple of family teenagers to go round serving tasting quantities
of each wine from bottles with hidden labels.

For the reveal, have someone knowledgeable about wine talking about each
wine over a second tasting quantity - I know that's anathema to serious
wine buffs as things are all in the wrong sequence, but this is fun not
serious.

Then open up for a free for all!

Have prizes for the most correct answers.

pk

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 6, 12:44�am, "John Laguna" > wrote:
> Hello everyone!!
>
> I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a wine
> tasting party. �Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

A lot is going to depend on how many people are you considering? Other
factors are cost (are you planning on furnishing all wines?) and level
of wine interest among others.

If (if!) for instance you have 5-9 friends who said they also wanted
to learn more about wine, you could do this:
Pick a grape. Let's say Syrah/Shiraz. Ask everyone to bring one bottle
of a Syrah priced between $10-20, wrapped in foil (you might assign
regions- Rhone, US, California, S. America, Australia - to ensure
diversity). Pour 1.5 to 2 oz pours, try, talk about, and write down
your opinions. Unveil bottles, and see if your preferences fit a
pattern.

But that's just one idea. If you can answer the questions above, folks
could give better answers.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 5, 8:44 pm, "John Laguna" > wrote:
> Hello everyone!!
>
> I just start getting intowine(GoodWine!!) and I am trying set up awinetastingparty. Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Try MyFineWineLife.com...it has a great free article (upper left
corner) called "Start a Wine Tasting Group."
Vickie
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ken Blake wrote:

> To me the words "wine tasting" and "party" don't go together. Tasting
> wine, comparing different wines, making written notes on what each is
> like and what the differences are, rating and ranking the wines, etc.
> are the things wine tasting is about. Those kinds of activities are
> much too serious for a party.

They're too serious for an enjoyable evening of wine tasting to me. We
often have friends over to do a vertical or perhaps a blind tasting.
The entire point of the evening is to have fun and enjoy wine and make a
few comments on who likes what. I enjoy wine, love touring the country
side wine tasting and stocking my cellar. Even when out at wineries
wine tasting I refuse to get all so serious about it that the fun is
removed.
Posted to alt.food.wine

PK wrote:

> For the reveal, have someone knowledgeable about wine talking about each
> wine over a second tasting quantity - I know that's anathema to serious
> wine buffs as things are all in the wrong sequence, but this is fun not
> serious.
>
> Then open up for a free for all!
>
> Have prizes for the most correct answers.

We do things like that. It's all in fun and a chance to try some
different wines. It's a wine tasting party and the point of it all is
to have fun and enjoy wine. I only invite those that are wine lovers.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 7, 11:05*pm, miles > wrote:
> PK wrote:
> > For the reveal, have someone knowledgeable aboutwinetalking about each
> >wineover a secondtastingquantity *- I know that's anathema to serious
> >winebuffs as things are all in the wrong sequence, but this is fun not
> > serious.

> > Then open up for a free for all!

> > Have prizes for the most correct answers.

> We do things like that. *It's all in fun and a chance to try some
> different wines. *It's awinetastingparty and the point of it all is
> to have fun and enjoywine. *I only invite those that arewinelovers.

Hello there... I would like to invite you to our next online wine
tasting party/event. Tastoria.com offers VIRTUAL WINE TASTING EVENTS
from the comfort of your own home with freinds and family. All you
need is a computer and high speed internet connection to join the
fun. Fore more info, please visit www.tastoria.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Abisha Lopez had written this in response to
http://www.drinksforum.com/wine/Wine...rty-37136-.htm :

John Laguna wrote:

> Hello everyone!!

> I just start getting into wine (Good Wine!!) and I am trying set up a
> wine
> tasting party. Any advise or a website that I can get some ideas.

> Thanks

> John

-------------------------------------

Hello..all,

Hope things are fine at your end. I have gone through your concern on wine
party and like to add some ideas, which will help you to host a fabulous
party!

First of all, you need to decide what type of party you want to host. It
would be great, if you will prepare the list of sparkling wines, white
wines and red wines that you will use for the party, then

Select the Date and Time
Make a list of friends to whom you want to invite.
Ready all the equipment for the party like: Ice buckets, sparkling, white
wines, Water and water glasses wine decors etc.
Prepare the foods' menu for the party
Select the venue for the party.

I think these are the major point for hosting a wine party, in addition to
this you can go for some other entertainment media to make it more
attractive.

Throwing a great wine tasting party can be a very big task. But once you
prepare your party-plan beforehand, the rest will just fall into place!
So, have fun and enjoy with your family and friends , don't forget to
invite me as a friend:-)

Thanks and regards,
Abisha

(Ewoodart.com)

Delivered via http://www.drinksforum.com/
Beer and Wine Community
Web, RSS and Twitter access to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.food.wine - 31930 messages and counting!