FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: mystery '89 CdP (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/145177-tn-mystery-89-cdp.html)

Emery Davis 01-01-2008 10:50 PM

TN: mystery '89 CdP

A few weeks ago I noticed a mouldy bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape in
the butcher's wine case. The square white label was completely degraded,
you could see just a little of the line of the words "Chateu .... ape" on each
side of the top. Clearly a CdP from the label, upon questioning the butcher's
wife (who works the register, of course) produced the cellar book, where the
only thing marked was "6 bottles 1989 Chateauneuf du Pape."

Could it be Vieux Telegraphe? The letters look right, the label (what remains)
might be, the bottle is right... For 18 EU, I can't resist the mystery.

So, with leftover chevreuil: It's not V.T., the cork is too short. Drat. Decent
grenache nose, in the mouth a well resolved wine with black cherry and spice
but a little simple and not that long. Still an enjoyable mature CdP, I suppose
a steal at the price considering what folks elsewhere pay for such things.

Go figure!

-E

--
Emery Davis