Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: NYE wines - no Champagne!

We had a quiet NYE, dinner at some nearby (walkable) friends' home.
Nice menu- I made some pancetta crisps with cheese, pear, and thyme;
the host made thick steaks, mushroom sauce, creamed spinach, baked
potatoes, and a sauteed pear dessert. We also enjoyed cheeses, pates,
and Scrabble.

We didn't even open the Champagne at midnight, but we did down a few
Bordeaux from not-so-acclaimed vintages:

1997 Ch. Margaux (Margaux)
Good dark cassis fruit, a little spice, tobacco. Some floral and berry
notes with time. Tannins are fine and resolving. This is a little
lacking in concentration and length for a First, but does hold ones
interest. I found quite good for the vintage, drinking well now. B+

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
Fully matured, resolved tannins. I really liked this, but if you think
"Low Acid" is a major superlative, you might not. Bright red plum and
raspberry fruit, some tobacco and earth. A little bitter cocoa and
earth with time. No hurry on this, but don't think it's getting
better. I think I'm only one who preferred to rounder Margaux. B+/A-

1998 Doisy-Vedrines (Barsac)
A major disappointment. Sweet, ok acidity, but lacking in complexity.
Seems a bit thin, short. This bottle was opened I think day before,
but didn't seem to be oxidized, just dull. C+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
*