FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Gruet Brut (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/144138-tn-gruet-brut.html)

godzilla 26-12-2007 05:43 PM

TN: Gruet Brut

Last night brought forth a small Turkey breast from Wally World, which I
roasted a wee bit past the desired 165F. It was abbeted by some simple
candied sweet potatoes and buttered Petit Pois (3 minutes in boiling water,
no more!) A few dried cranberries lent their scarlet hue to the finished
plate.

I had been fortunate to snare a bottle of Gruet Brut at Costco Liquors on my
last trip to the big city. Not having the forethought to secure any ice to
crack for the ice bucket, my ingenuity prevailed and and I put two blue ice
cartridges in its stead. It worked admirably. :-) The flute glasses came
out of the freezer at the last moment, which helped matters.

Having tasted this several times before, my comments remain unchanged:
Very pale color; overtone of apples and grapefruit; lively effervescence;
long finish

Is it identical to Dom Perignon or Louis Roederer Crystal (my favorite from
days gone by)? No, of course not. But, neither is it remotely in the league
of Korbel or Friexenet (both of which I have been served often and enjoyed
for what they are.) I would happily rate Gruet as the price/quality leader
to be enjoyed as often as one can find it down in the wilds of Texas.

Godzilla

DaleW 26-12-2007 07:04 PM

TN: Gruet Brut

On Dec 26, 11:43�am, Godzilla > wrote:

> Is it identical to Dom Perignon or Louis Roederer Crystal (my favorite from
> days gone by)? No, of course not. But, neither is it remotely in the league
> of Korbel or Friexenet (both of which I have been served often and enjoyed
> for what they are.) I would happily rate Gruet as the price/quality leader
> to be enjoyed as often as one can find it down in the wilds of Texas.

Indeed, just solid solid value. Thanks for reminder