Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Help! Which wine refrigerator to get? :)

Hello-
Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
wine refrigerator to get.
I'm new to this, and wouldn't even get a wine refrigerator at this
point if it wasn't for the wild temperature swings within my house.
I've destroyed too many bottles in the summer (and winter, for that
matter).

I think (!) what I would want is to have 2 temperature controls/
sections, easy access to the wine (I would prefer nice slide out
drawers to anything flimsy), and hold maybe 18-36 bottles or so. Some
of the wine I drink quickly, some I keep for a few years, a variety of
reds and whites. It would be great if it was fairly quiet and not too
much of an energy hog. My budget is very flexible.

I've been to lots of web sites, but I don't even know where to
start...brands, features, etc.

Oh - free standing or built-in doesn't matter too much. I suppose
ideally it would be one I can use free-standing for now in the house I
am renting, then maybe move to a built-in in my next home. That's very
minor, though...

Thanks *so* much for any advice!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

> wrote in message
> Hello-
> Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
> wine refrigerator to get.

I have open racks in the kitchen for eveyday drinking wines which will be
consumed within a couple of months.

For storage I have two Liebherr units in the garage, constant single temp
and humidity. All wine fridges tend to be rather functional, and for that
reason mine are out of sight.

If you want a unit indoors look at Liebherr and best of all Eurocave, though
these are rather pricey.

see here for UK details
http://www.wineware.co.uk/Liebherr_fridge-for-wine.htm

John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks John-
One question I forgot to ask:
Most of the "high-end" manufacturers make it clear that they are not
for storage for "more than a few months"?
It sounds like you use them for storage, however.

Are they just making a clarification between these refrigerators,
where I am supposed to keep wine at the temps I want to serve? And the
storage temp is very different?

So far my way of "storing" wine has been putting it in the coolest
closet of my house and just leaving it there
:-O

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 13:47:50 -0600, Joseph Coulter
> wrote:

> the "coldest"part will range from the 60's to
>the mid 70's over the course fo the year, This is not acceptable
>variation

Do you have any evidence for it being too much variation?

I ask partly because intuitively +-5F does not seem like very much to
me, and partly because (although it is oft repeated) I have never seen
any evidence whatsoever for temperature variation being harmful. But
I have a genuine interest in seeing some! if indeed it does exist.

OTOH I would probably not be so happy about keeping my wine in the mid
70s anyway.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Posted to alt.food.wine

unfortunately, for me over the course of the year the coldest part of
the house probably ranges from 50s-80s (!) yikes
i live in a relatively warm area with no air conditioning, so summers
can be brutal. oh my poor wine!!!

On Dec 16, 11:47 am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> For many of us, refrigeratino is the only means of storage available.
> You mention the coldest part of your house, if that is a fairly steady
> cool temp you may be money ahead by keeping with the plan, however if
> your house is like mine the "coldest"part will range from the 60's to
> the mid 70's over the course fo the year, This is not acceptable
> variation and the only option shortof commercial storage is to have a
> small wine frig and forgo long tierm storage of many things.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Most of the "high-end" manufacturers make it clear that they are not
> for storage for "more than a few months"?
> It sounds like you use them for storage, however.

It seems some "wine" "fridges" are just for show and keep wines cool.

Top end Fridges from true wine cellar providers are for LONG term storage,
and by that I mean years.

I have two Liebherr 230 bottle units in my garage, constant 12C and
humidity.

Downside is they cost about GBP 800 each.

Remember the destroyer of wines is fluctuation and heat.

If you are really keen, you can store wines in professional cellars, (make
certain they are fiscally sound) and you have title to the wine.

I have many cases of claret and burg resting in an air-con warehouse, about
GBP 7 a case per year all in including insurance.

HTH

John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
wrote:

> Hello-
> Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
> wine refrigerator to get.
> I'm new to this, and wouldn't even get a wine refrigerator at this
> point if it wasn't for the wild temperature swings within my house.
> I've destroyed too many bottles in the summer (and winter, for that
> matter).
>
> I think (!) what I would want is to have 2 temperature controls/
> sections, easy access to the wine (I would prefer nice slide out
> drawers to anything flimsy), and hold maybe 18-36 bottles or so. Some
> of the wine I drink quickly, some I keep for a few years, a variety of
> reds and whites. It would be great if it was fairly quiet and not too
> much of an energy hog. My budget is very flexible.
>
> I've been to lots of web sites, but I don't even know where to
> start...brands, features, etc.
>
> Oh - free standing or built-in doesn't matter too much. I suppose
> ideally it would be one I can use free-standing for now in the house I
> am renting, then maybe move to a built-in in my next home. That's very
> minor, though...
>
> Thanks *so* much for any advice!!

I just bought a Subzero 130 bottle for my home in Santa Fe because of
altitude issues as many of the glass front wine cabinets will leak at
the seals at 7500 feet. Here in VA I have a 250 bottle from the Wine
Enthusiast and it is their brand. Up and running for 4 years with no
problems
Posted to alt.food.wine

I use Eurocave systems.

Have two of them. One over 12 years old. Second Unit about 7-9 years old.
Can;t remember.

Knock on wood, no issues to date on either.

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> wrote:
>
>> Hello-
>> Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
>> wine refrigerator to get.
>> I'm new to this, and wouldn't even get a wine refrigerator at this
>> point if it wasn't for the wild temperature swings within my house.
>> I've destroyed too many bottles in the summer (and winter, for that
>> matter).
>>
>> I think (!) what I would want is to have 2 temperature controls/
>> sections, easy access to the wine (I would prefer nice slide out
>> drawers to anything flimsy), and hold maybe 18-36 bottles or so. Some
>> of the wine I drink quickly, some I keep for a few years, a variety of
>> reds and whites. It would be great if it was fairly quiet and not too
>> much of an energy hog. My budget is very flexible.
>>
>> I've been to lots of web sites, but I don't even know where to
>> start...brands, features, etc.
>>
>> Oh - free standing or built-in doesn't matter too much. I suppose
>> ideally it would be one I can use free-standing for now in the house I
>> am renting, then maybe move to a built-in in my next home. That's very
>> minor, though...
>>
>> Thanks *so* much for any advice!!

> I just bought a Subzero 130 bottle for my home in Santa Fe because of
> altitude issues as many of the glass front wine cabinets will leak at
> the seals at 7500 feet. Here in VA I have a 250 bottle from the Wine
> Enthusiast and it is their brand. Up and running for 4 years with no
> problems

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 15 2007, 12:01 am, wrote:
> Hello-
> Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
> wine refrigerator to get.
> I'm new to this, and wouldn't even get a wine refrigerator at this
> point if it wasn't for the wild temperature swings within my house.
> I've destroyed too many bottles in the summer (and winter, for that
> matter).
>
> I think (!) what I would want is to have 2 temperature controls/
> sections, easy access to the wine (I would prefer nice slide out
> drawers to anything flimsy), and hold maybe 18-36 bottles or so. Some
> of the wine I drink quickly, some I keep for a few years, a variety of
> reds and whites. It would be great if it was fairly quiet and not too
> much of an energy hog. My budget is very flexible.
>
> I've been to lots of web sites, but I don't even know where to
> start...brands, features, etc.
>
> Oh - free standing or built-in doesn't matter too much. I suppose
> ideally it would be one I can use free-standing for now in the house I
> am renting, then maybe move to a built-in in my next home. That's very
> minor, though...
>
> Thanks *so* much for any advice!!

I have a Breezaire that is in its 10th year of operation (knock
wood!). Holds temp and humidity very well.

A friend of mine has a Vinotech stand-alone unit (300 bottles) that I
sold to him in 1994, when it was five years old. Still working.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 9, 9:18*am, MarcB > wrote:
> On Dec 15 2007, 12:01 am, wrote:
>

> > Hello-
> > Just wondering if I can get folks recommendations on what brand of
> >winerefrigerator to get.
> > I'm new to this, and wouldn't even get awinerefrigerator at this
> > point if it wasn't for the wild temperature swings within my house.
> > I've destroyed too many bottles in the summer (and winter, for that
> > matter).

> > I think (!) what I would want is to have 2 temperature controls/
> > sections, easy access to thewine(I would prefer nice slide out
> > drawers to anything flimsy), and hold maybe 18-36 bottles or so. Some
> > of thewineI drink quickly, some I keep for a few years, a variety of
> > reds and whites. It would be great if it was fairly quiet and not too
> > much of an energy hog. My budget is very flexible.

> > I've been to lots of web sites, but I don't even know where to
> > start...brands, features, etc.

> > Oh - free standing or built-in doesn't matter too much. I suppose
> > ideally it would be one I can use free-standing for now in the house I
> > am renting, then maybe move to a built-in in my next home. That's very
> > minor, though...

> > Thanks *so* much for any advice!!

> *I have a Breezaire that is in its 10th year of operation (knock
> wood!). *Holds temp and humidity very well.
>
> A friend of mine has a Vinotech stand-alone unit (300 bottles) that I
> sold to him in 1994, when it was five years old. *Still working.- Hide quoted text -

For non-commercial information,, you might some interest in the
following article

http://www.galtwine.com/WineRefrigerators.html

Unfortunately, individual experiences or opinions really don't have
much to do with overall performance histories, the technology ,or lack
thereof, involved.

Breezaire is the industry standard of cooling systemes - but it is
only the mechanical system. OEM's / cabinet makers install the
Breezaire into their cellar cabinets ... Breezaires are also
installled in integrated cellar rooms, but absent proper room
preparation, they won''t be effecctive, despite thir quality.

Vinotheque is a quality product, but uses a Whisperkool (it's house
brand). Apples and apples, feature for feture - it just costs more
than alternatives - with no added value.

Other articles that might be of help to you would be
http://www.galtwine.com/CabinetSelection.html and
http://www.galtwine.com/CabinetComparisons.html

Good Luck!

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike[_35_] View Post
On Jan 9, 9:18*am, MarcB wrote:
On Dec 15 2007, 12:01 am, wrote:

[...]

Wine Refrigerators Every Line of Wine Storage Equipment

Unfortunately, individual experiences or opinions really don't have
much to do with overall performance histories, the technology ,or lack
thereof, involved.

Breezaire is the industry standard of cooling systemes - but it is
only the mechanical system. OEM's / cabinet makers install the
Breezaire into their cellar cabinets ... Breezaires are also
installled in integrated cellar rooms, but absent proper room
preparation, they won''t be effecctive, despite thir quality.

Vinotheque is a quality product, but uses a Whisperkool (it's house
brand). Apples and apples, feature for feture - it just costs more
than alternatives - with no added value.

Other articles that might be of help to you would be
Cabinet Selection Every Line of Wine Storage Equipment and
Cabinet Comparisons Every Line of Wine Storage Equipment

Good Luck!
Wine Refrigerators Every Line of Wine Storage Equipment

Q: Best Refrigerator Goro General Cooking 19 22-05-2009 01:22 AM
Wine refrigerator bb Wine 0 06-07-2006 09:14 PM
Wine refrigerator -- must be quiet [email protected] Wine 2 03-11-2005 08:31 AM
Sub-Zero's new Pro 48 refrigerator Liz General Cooking 0 16-05-2005 07:55 PM
Wine (Beer) Refrigerator/Cooler??? Bruce Beer 4 23-08-2004 08:44 PM