FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Chandon Classic Brut (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/142459-tn-chandon-classic-brut.html)

godzilla 06-12-2007 06:04 PM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

For one who is known to be overly verbose at times, this one almost leaves
me at a loss for words. Last night, I prepared Maryland style Lump Crab
Cakes (broiler version, with a nod to the waistline) Basmati Rice, and
Petite Pois mixed with sauteed miniature Portabellos and finished off with
some good brandy.

The intent was to audition the Chandon Classic Brut that I purchased on my
last trip to Costco, to see if that should be the beverage of choice for
our traditional welcoming midnight supper on Jan. 1, 2008. The selection of
sparklers at Costco was more limited than in years past. I would attribute
that unfortunate fact to the systematic destruction of our currency by our
brilliant pundits in Washington.

This wine had good pinpoint carbonation, light but pleasant color, and did
complement the evening's food well. Yet something, something intangible was
missing, and I am unable to put my finger on it. Did I miss the faint aroma
of Passion Fruit, citrus or flowers that I have encountered in other
Champagnes and their foreign derivatives? Could it have used more than a
hint of Yeast to become intriguing? Or was I just waiting for a lingering
aftertaste that never materialized?

Was this a bad wine? Not by a long shot. Was this a great wine? One would
have to have a vivid imagination to so describe it. Would I drink this
again if it were offered to me? Without question. But, would I purchase it
again? The answer has to be an unqualified no.

Godzilla

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 06-12-2007 07:08 PM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

In article >,
Godzilla > wrote:

> For one who is known to be overly verbose at times, this one almost leaves
> me at a loss for words. Last night, I prepared Maryland style Lump Crab
> Cakes (broiler version, with a nod to the waistline) Basmati Rice, and
> Petite Pois mixed with sauteed miniature Portabellos and finished off with
> some good brandy.
>
> The intent was to audition the Chandon Classic Brut that I purchased on my
> last trip to Costco, to see if that should be the beverage of choice for
> our traditional welcoming midnight supper on Jan. 1, 2008. The selection of
> sparklers at Costco was more limited than in years past. I would attribute
> that unfortunate fact to the systematic destruction of our currency by our
> brilliant pundits in Washington.
>
> This wine had good pinpoint carbonation, light but pleasant color, and did
> complement the evening's food well. Yet something, something intangible was
> missing, and I am unable to put my finger on it. Did I miss the faint aroma
> of Passion Fruit, citrus or flowers that I have encountered in other
> Champagnes and their foreign derivatives? Could it have used more than a
> hint of Yeast to become intriguing? Or was I just waiting for a lingering
> aftertaste that never materialized?
>
> Was this a bad wine? Not by a long shot. Was this a great wine? One would
> have to have a vivid imagination to so describe it. Would I drink this
> again if it were offered to me? Without question. But, would I purchase it
> again? The answer has to be an unqualified no.
>
> Godzilla

I have found all but the upper end California Chandons to be lacking in
taste. You have to go to Etoile to get much and that is as expensive as
any of the smaller champagne houses in France.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 06-12-2007 08:52 PM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> I have found all but the upper end California Chandons to be lacking in
> taste. You have to go to Etoile to get much and that is as expensive as
> any of the smaller champagne houses in France.

I've had some good Chandons in the distant past, but I have to agree
that in the last decade I've been seriously underwhelmed by their
offerings. For a fruitier, more Californiaesque sparkler, Mumm Cuvée
Napa; for more refined offerings, I'll take Roederer Estate and Gruet.
Scharmsberg also makes some fine wines, but the prices don't have me
beating a path to their door.

Mark Lipton

godzilla 06-12-2007 10:28 PM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Mark Lipton wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
>> I have found all but the upper end California Chandons to be lacking in
>> taste. You have to go to Etoile to get much and that is as expensive as
>> any of the smaller champagne houses in France.

> I've had some good Chandons in the distant past, but I have to agree
> that in the last decade I've been seriously underwhelmed by their
> offerings. For a fruitier, more Californiaesque sparkler, Mumm Cuvée
> Napa; for more refined offerings, I'll take Roederer Estate and Gruet.
> Scharmsberg also makes some fine wines, but the prices don't have me
> beating a path to their door.
>
> Mark Lipton

Looking over my notes, I also favored Roederer Estate, but somehow never
could understand all of the hype given to Schramsberg. Not that many years
ago, I bought Roederer Estate on sale for $13.99. Yesterday, I got an
e-mail from the liquor store that rents space from Costco (but is not
connected with them) offering Roederer Estate for $38.99!

Thanks, but no thanks. ;-( This year, I shall try to locate some more Gruet
and mix some with a 6 bottle 10% small case discount at the local
supermarket chain in San Antonio.

Godzilla

Dana Myers 07-12-2007 10:58 PM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Godzilla wrote:

> Looking over my notes, I also favored Roederer Estate, but somehow never
> could understand all of the hype given to Schramsberg. Not that many years
> ago, I bought Roederer Estate on sale for $13.99. Yesterday, I got an
> e-mail from the liquor store that rents space from Costco (but is not
> connected with them) offering Roederer Estate for $38.99!

Roederer Estate NV Brut sells at my Costco for $16-ish right now,
and it's still a bargain. I'm guessing the Roederer Estate wine
for $39 is not the NV Brut, but is perhaps the L'Ermitage, for
example.

Dana

godzilla 08-12-2007 12:51 AM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Dana Myers wrote:

> Godzilla wrote:
>
>> Looking over my notes, I also favored Roederer Estate, but somehow never
>> could understand all of the hype given to Schramsberg. Not that many
>> years ago, I bought Roederer Estate on sale for $13.99. Yesterday, I got
>> an e-mail from the liquor store that rents space from Costco (but is not
>> connected with them) offering Roederer Estate for $38.99!

> Roederer Estate NV Brut sells at my Costco for $16-ish right now,
> and it's still a bargain. I'm guessing the Roederer Estate wine
> for $39 is not the NV Brut, but is perhaps the L'Ermitage, for
> example.
>
> Dana

I conjectured that the $39 Roederer at Costco Liquors (not Costco itself)
might either be a different label or a misprint, but from 60 miles away one
can not verify suspicions. I plan upon going into the big city next week,
with Costco being my first stop. If they have some Roederer Estate NV Brut
near the price that you mentioned, I shall grab several. There were none in
stock when I was last there.

Thanks for raising my hopes. :-)

Godzilla

Dana Myers 08-12-2007 01:11 AM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Godzilla wrote:

> I conjectured that the $39 Roederer at Costco Liquors (not Costco itself)
> might either be a different label or a misprint, but from 60 miles away one
> can not verify suspicions. I plan upon going into the big city next week,
> with Costco being my first stop. If they have some Roederer Estate NV Brut
> near the price that you mentioned, I shall grab several. There were none in
> stock when I was last there.
>
> Thanks for raising my hopes. :-)

I know that my Costco sells both the NV Brut and L'Ermitage, and the
L'Ermitage is around $39. Hopefully the "Costco Liquors" is offering
the same things and your hopes have not been raised in vain.

Dana

godzilla 08-12-2007 01:25 AM

TN: Chandon Classic Brut

Dana Myers wrote:

> Godzilla wrote:
>
>> I conjectured that the $39 Roederer at Costco Liquors (not Costco itself)
>> might either be a different label or a misprint, but from 60 miles away
>> one can not verify suspicions. I plan upon going into the big city next
>> week, with Costco being my first stop. If they have some Roederer Estate
>> NV Brut near the price that you mentioned, I shall grab several. There
>> were none in stock when I was last there.
>>
>> Thanks for raising my hopes. :-)

> I know that my Costco sells both the NV Brut and L'Ermitage, and the
> L'Ermitage is around $39. Hopefully the "Costco Liquors" is offering
> the same things and your hopes have not been raised in vain.
>
> Dana

If things don't work out as I hoped, I can always just buy one bottle of
Gallo Thunderbird and another of Canada Dry soda and mix them up
together. ;-) And, as my friends who only eat something that they term
"Health Food" say: "You'll never know the difference." ;-) ;-) ;-)

Godzilla