Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Christian Moueix's generic Pomerol

Betsy made latkes as well as ribeye steaks and broccoli Wednesday (she
was raised in a secular household, and didn't even know she was Jewish
till she was 8, but now tries to at least acknowledge the holidays- I
love traditional cooking so I'm happy, though I mumble along as she
lights candles). I opened the 2005 Christian Moueix Pomerol. This is a
wine put together from a variety of sources, I generally abhor the
idea of negociant Bordeaux but the Moueix family certainly knows
Pomerol, so I thought for $17 this was worth a shot. Nose of black
cherries and plums, a bit of a floral note. Warm dark fruit, lush
mouthfeel, ripe tannins are quietly in background. Plums and cassis on
palate, a hint of earth. A bit too short to qualify as a notable
Pomerol, but at $17 I'm just shocked to find something that tastes
like Pomerol at all. If you're looking for depth, complexity, or
concentration, look elsewhere. But as good an under-$20 Pomerol as
you're likely to ever find. I'll pick up a couple more for some other
weeknight steak accompaniment. B/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Christian Moueix's generic Pomerol

I opened the 2005 Christian Moueix Pomerol. This is a
> wine put together from a variety of sources,

always a winner and so easy to drink, this my supply
http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/s...TERM&prl=S TD

John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-12-06 06:22:02 -0800, "John T" > said:

> I opened the 2005 Christian Moueix Pomerol. This is a
>> wine put together from a variety of sources,

> always a winner and so easy to drink, this my supply
> http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/s...TERM&prl=S TD

John

Wow! $17 in the States, and #13.75 in the UK, which translates
somewhere about $27. I always thought the UK folks would get a better
deal because of lower shipping charges. I've noticed in the past that
French wines are more expensive on the US West coast than the East
coast, and I always attributed it to additional shipping charges - am I
missing something?

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2007-12-06 06:22:02 -0800, "John T" > said:
>
>> I opened the 2005 Christian Moueix Pomerol. This is a
>>> wine put together from a variety of sources,

>> always a winner and so easy to drink, this my supply
>> http://www.thewinesociety.com/shop/s...TERM&prl=S TD

> John

> Wow! $17 in the States, and #13.75 in the UK, which translates somewhere
> about $27. I always thought the UK folks would get a better deal because
> of lower shipping charges. I've noticed in the past that French wines are
> more expensive on the US West coast than the East coast, and I always
> attributed it to additional shipping charges - am I missing something?

I was surprised at the price difference, I assume it is the same wine.

John T