Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wines without Betsy- Burg rose, '05 Bdx, '02 Ogier VdP

Betsy was away for a Sufi retreat, I took the opportunity to indulge
myself in a food she doesn't care for - liver and onions, aka fegato
alla Veneziana. Side of sauteed spinach, wine was the 2006 Domaine
Bart Marsannay rose, which went well. Strawberry fruit edged with a
little cranberry, good acidity, ok length. A bit better than I
remembered, not a great rose, but a good backdrop to the food. B

I also opened a 375 of the 2005 Ch. Ferrand Lartigue (St Emilion). I'd
bought a couple based on price and the fact it was reported that they
had dialed back the oakiness. Well, hard to tell from this bottle. Big
in your face vanilla and toast, big sweet fruit, big but ripe tannins.
Bordeaux in the guise of warm climate Shiraz. Fairly low acid, but I
wouldn't call flabby. Fruit is black plum and blackberry, but somewhat
dominated by the oak. I'll put other away in hopes it integrates with
age, but for me now, B-/C+ (I think other more fond of oak would like
much more).

Sunday I cooked up some venison round steak, along with some blackeyed
peas I'd made that AM and a salad. Wine was the 2002 Ogier "La Rosine
" (VdP des Collines Rhodaniennes ). This seems to have put on some
weight in the bottle, not as light as I remembered. Nice balance of
fruit, tannin, and acidity. Rhonish notes of smoked bacon and herbs.
Good sturdy blackberry fruit. Quite tasty, and really amazing for
vintage. B+/B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 3:56�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy was away for a Sufi retreat, I took the opportunity to indulge
> myself in a food she doesn't care for - liver and onions, aka fegato
> alla Veneziana. Side of sauteed spinach, wine was the 2006 Domaine
> Bart Marsannay rose, �which went well. Strawberry fruit edged with a
> little cranberry, good acidity, ok length. A bit better than I
> remembered, not a great rose, but a good backdrop to the food. B
>
> I also opened a 375 of the 2005 Ch. Ferrand Lartigue (St Emilion). I'd
> bought a couple based on price and the fact it was reported that they
> had dialed back the oakiness. Well, hard to tell from this bottle. Big
> in your face vanilla and toast, big sweet fruit, big but ripe tannins.
> Bordeaux in the guise of warm climate Shiraz. �Fairly low acid, but I
> wouldn't call flabby. Fruit is black plum and blackberry, but somewhat
> dominated by the oak. I'll put other away in hopes it integrates with
> age, but for me now, B-/C+ (I think other more fond of oak would like
> much more).
>
> Sunday I cooked up some venison round steak, along with some blackeyed
> peas I'd made that AM and a salad. Wine was the 2002 Ogier "La Rosine
> " (VdP des Collines Rhodaniennes ). This seems to have put on some
> weight in the bottle, not as light as I remembered. Nice balance of
> fruit, tannin, and acidity. Rhonish notes of smoked bacon and herbs.
> Good sturdy blackberry fruit. Quite tasty, and really amazing for
> vintage. B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

I should mention I didn't like the St Emilion any better on day 2.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 3:57Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 3, 3:56�pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Betsy was away for a Sufi retreat, I took the opportunity to indulge
> > myself in a food she doesn't care for - liver and onions, aka fegato
> > alla Veneziana. Side of sauteed spinach, wine was the 2006 Domaine
> > Bart Marsannay rose, �which went well. Strawberry fruit edged with a
> > little cranberry, good acidity, ok length. A bit better than I
> > remembered, not a great rose, but a good backdrop to the food. B

> > I also opened a 375 of the 2005 Ch. Ferrand Lartigue (St Emilion). I'd
> > bought a couple based on price and the fact it was reported that they
> > had dialed back the oakiness. Well, hard to tell from this bottle. Big
> > in your face vanilla and toast, big sweet fruit, big but ripe tannins.
> > Bordeaux in the guise of warm climate Shiraz. �Fairly low acid, but I
> > wouldn't call flabby. Fruit is black plum and blackberry, but somewhat
> > dominated by the oak. I'll put other away in hopes it integrates with
> > age, but for me now, B-/C+ (I think other more fond of oak would like
> > much more).

> > Sunday I cooked up some venison round steak, along with some blackeyed
> > peas I'd made that AM and a salad. Wine was the 2002 Ogier "La Rosine
> > " (VdP des Collines Rhodaniennes ). This seems to have put on some
> > weight in the bottle, not as light as I remembered. Nice balance of
> > fruit, tannin, and acidity. Rhonish notes of smoked bacon and herbs.
> > Good sturdy blackberry fruit. Quite tasty, and really amazing for
> > vintage. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

> I should mention I didn't like the St Emilion any better on day 2.- Hide quoted text -

Meanwhile, the Ogier held up well overnight (just recorked, nothing
else) and was a lovely light Syrah with chicken pot pie and winter
squash.

TN: Wines by the Hudson- Mendocino rose, Finger Lakes Riesling, OzSemmilon, Wh. Burg, Languedoc DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2016 05:31 PM
tn italians burg rose DaleW Wine 3 28-04-2011 02:44 AM
TN: CA PG, white Burg, Loire rose, Wachau GV DaleW Wine 2 14-08-2010 12:39 AM
TN: Betsy's birthday dinner w/3 1959s and other wines DaleW Wine 5 09-12-2009 09:11 PM
TN- Burg rose and Loire white DaleW Wine 0 12-06-2007 12:48 AM