Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2000 Ch. Lusseau

Tonight, we celebrated the arrival of truly cold weather (snow predicted
for the surrounding area) with a cold weather meal of broiled rack of
lamb, baked potatoes and a salad. Jean and I both felt the need for a
good wine to accompany this meal (Andrew also assented), so down to the
cellar for a semi-ready Bordeaux:

2000 Ch. Lusseau St.-Emilion Grand Cru Classé
color: dark red-purple with slight bricking at the edges
nose: initially, a huge whack of black truffle, later turning into
pencil lead, dark berry fruit, herbs and tea; finally, roasted coffee notes
palate: medium body, very fine grained tannins, decent acidity, flavors
mirroring the nose, rich fruit

This was the first wine removed from a mixed case we purchased as
futures with some other people (in fact, we were brought in late in the
game after the wines had already been ordered). Jean took one sniff and
proclaimed it "St.-Emilion" and the more that time went on, the more I
understood her remark. I gave it a quick decant before serving and it
continued opening up for the next 1-2 hours. Certainly, its final state
of roasted, coffee character reminded me a lot of the several bottles of
'90 Angelus that we consumed several years ago. Altogether pleasant,
and not terribly modern. I'm glad that I have several more bottles of
this and plan on opening them over the next 3-5 years.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 17, 12:34�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, we celebrated the arrival of truly cold weather (snow predicted
> �for the surrounding area) with a cold weather meal of broiled rack of
> lamb, baked potatoes and a salad. �Jean and I both felt the need for a
> good wine to accompany this meal (Andrew also assented), so down to the
> cellar for a semi-ready Bordeaux:
>
> 2000 Ch. Lusseau St.-Emilion Grand Cru Class�
> color: dark red-purple with slight bricking at the edges
> nose: initially, a huge whack of black truffle, later turning into
> pencil lead, dark berry fruit, herbs and tea; finally, roasted coffee notes
> palate: medium body, very fine grained tannins, decent acidity, flavors
> mirroring the nose, rich fruit
>
> This was the first wine removed from a mixed case we purchased as
> futures with some other people (in fact, we were brought in late in the
> game after the wines had already been ordered). �Jean took one sniff and
> proclaimed it "St.-Emilion" and the more that time went on, the more I
> understood her remark. �I gave it a quick decant before serving and it
> continued opening up for the next 1-2 hours. �Certainly, its final state
> of roasted, coffee character reminded me a lot of the several bottles of
> '90 Angelus that we consumed several years ago. �Altogether pleasant,
> and not terribly modern. �I'm glad that I have several more bottles of
> this and plan on opening them over the next 3-5 years.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Thanks for report. Glad to know some RBankers are peeking out, the
Medoc seems pretty closed, even little guys.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in :

> Tonight, we celebrated the arrival of truly cold weather (snow predicted
> for the surrounding area) with a cold weather meal of broiled rack of
> lamb, baked potatoes and a salad. Jean and I both felt the need for a
> good wine to accompany this meal (Andrew also assented), so down to the
> cellar for a semi-ready Bordeaux:
>
> 2000 Ch. Lusseau St.-Emilion Grand Cru Classé
> color: dark red-purple with slight bricking at the edges
> nose: initially, a huge whack of black truffle, later turning into
> pencil lead, dark berry fruit, herbs and tea; finally, roasted coffee
> notes palate: medium body, very fine grained tannins, decent acidity,
> flavors mirroring the nose, rich fruit
>
> This was the first wine removed from a mixed case we purchased as
> futures with some other people (in fact, we were brought in late in the
> game after the wines had already been ordered). Jean took one sniff and
> proclaimed it "St.-Emilion" and the more that time went on, the more I
> understood her remark. I gave it a quick decant before serving and it
> continued opening up for the next 1-2 hours. Certainly, its final state
> of roasted, coffee character reminded me a lot of the several bottles of
> '90 Angelus that we consumed several years ago. Altogether pleasant,
> and not terribly modern. I'm glad that I have several more bottles of
> this and plan on opening them over the next 3-5 years.
>
> Mark Lipton

Hello Mark
I seen in a few of your past postings you have giving a prices of the
wines you have tried. What would be the price be for this one, if you
know?

Thank you
Mickel

P.S. I bought a bottle of the 2005 Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages had
it for a wine tour i attended. I paid about $10.50 for it. It was just you
had discribed. Thank you for the tip.
Served it with the following cheese.
Tomme De Savoie – French – this was the mild cheese
Aged Manchego – Spanish – this was the “brie style” cheese, but much
harder.

Posted to alt.food.wine

mickel6830 wrote:

> Hello Mark
> I seen in a few of your past postings you have giving a prices of the
> wines you have tried. What would be the price be for this one, if you
> know?

Sorry, but I can't tell you how much I paid for it as it was 6 years or
so ago when they were purchased as futures (en primeur for those in
Europe). Wine-searcher tells me that the '04 is selling for $30, so I'd
guess that we paid about $15/bottle at the time of purchase.

> P.S. I bought a bottle of the 2005 Joseph Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages had
> it for a wine tour i attended. I paid about $10.50 for it. It was just you
> had discribed. Thank you for the tip.
> Served it with the following cheese.
> Tomme De Savoie – French – this was the mild cheese
> Aged Manchego – Spanish – this was the “brie style” cheese, but much
> harder.

Good to hear. We've had this wine a few times and it never fails to
please. Drouhin does an outstanding job as a negociant.

Mark Lipton

82 Cos, 2000 Bin 389, 2000 Gloria, 99 Stellenzicht, 85 Grahams Bill S. Wine 1 21-03-2010 07:06 PM
Mas la Plana 2000 Bert Wine 0 24-06-2006 10:52 PM
2000 Barolos, etc Dale Williams Wine 3 30-04-2004 08:58 PM
Coates on 2000 Bdx Dale Williams Wine 4 10-03-2004 06:50 PM
TN: Dom de L'Espigouette CdR VV 2000 Mark Lipton Wine 0 16-02-2004 06:00 AM