Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire, Pfalz, and satellite Bdx

So Wednesday was pork belly braised in a mirin/shoyu/ginger combo, I
was feeling like red but decided off-dry white was way to go. I
settled on the 2005 Chidaine "Les Tuffeaux" Montlouis Demi-Sec.
Infantcide, yes, but I had several and thought it sacrificing one in
the name of science. Big rich brawny Chenin, honied apple fruit with
floral and chalk notes. Sweeter than most Loire demi-secs, but with
ample acidity. Finish is long and mineral driven. Tasted on night two
the fruit was even riper, but the acidity cut through it smoothly. The
only sad thing was discovering I was wrong- it's the Clos Habert I
have multiplies of, this was my only bottle of the Tuffeaux. "To the
barricades"- er, I mean "To the Wine Store!" A-

As to the match, it went well with the dish, but I think a lighter
more traditional demi-sec (like the Tuffeaux in most vintages) would
have been even better. Some sweetness was needed for the sauce, but
the pork itself would have been lovely with a lighter red.

I really felt like a red, so had a glass of the 2003 La Vieille Cure
(Fronsac).
OK, it traditional claret is what you're searching for, don't go here.
Modern, sweet fruit, some vanillin oak notes. Ripe red blum and
currant fruit, big and lush for appellation. Fairly serious tannins
here, even more apparent following night. Night two this is showing a
bit of raspberry, reflective of the fact that this has good acidity
for a 2003. I like this a lot, though it would be better with a
steak. I'll try and give a few years to see how tannins do, but this
is a good modern Bordeaux. B+

Tonight Betsy made a beef jantaboon, a wine I usually match with a
light spicy red. But since I still had some Fronsac in reserve (showed
well on night 3), and she said she had put in extra peppers, I decided
to go with another off-dry white. The 2001 Basserman-Jordan Forster
Jesuitengarten Riesling Spatlese (Pfalz) did ok with dish. Plenty of
those vibrant 2001 acids here, around a thick body of peach and Rainer
cherry fruit. A little petrolly note on the nose. This is a nice
enough wine, but I can't figure out why I don't like it more. Good
without excitement. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

TN: Chablis and Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 25-03-2016 06:32 PM
WTN: Burgundy, Loire, Champagne, Saar, Sicily, Loire, SLO DaleW Wine 7 09-10-2013 02:47 PM
TN: Grignolino, CA PN, Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 11-03-2009 06:05 PM
TN: Alsace, Pfalz, Loire, Brazil DaleW Wine 3 17-02-2008 05:48 PM
Satellite TV 4 You: Free Satellite TV systems Marina[_2_] General Cooking 0 25-12-2007 06:09 PM