Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy

Last night we went to the home of our friends Marc and Annabelle. They
had just gotten their fall shipment from Hudson Valley Foie Gras,
hadn't made the FG yet but we started with smoked duck breast, then
had beautiful aged magret as main course. Butternut squash soup,
celeriac remoulade, mashed potatoes with celeriac, roasted golden
beets, and about 10 other dishes, finishing with flambeed bananas and
apples. Some architects Annabelle works with joined us, and a very
pleasant time ensued.

NV Piper Heidsieck Brut
Lighter style, more lemony/fruity than yeasty. Nice clean flavors, but
could use a more concentration, even for me (I tend to like the
lighter bubblies). B/B-

2000 Pontet-Canet (Pauillac)
Tight, tight, tight. Did I say tight? But there's a solid core
underneath. Rich cassis fruit, moderate ripe tannins, good length.
Nose is just not showing much right now, but it had hints of earth and
leather at end. Just needs time in my not so expert opinion. B
tonight, A- potential.

2001 Louis Jadot "Clos des Couchereaux" Beaune 1er Cru
Not particularly high expectations for a CdB '01, but this showed
really well. Light to start, black cherry edged with strawberry, good
acidity, light tannins. With air it picks up substantial weight, with
the fruit showed richer and darker. A little edge of cocoa.. Major
overachiever. A-/B+

Fun night

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2000 Pontet-Canet (Pauillac)
> Tight, tight, tight. Did I say tight? But there's a solid core
> underneath. Rich cassis fruit, moderate ripe tannins, good length.
> Nose is just not showing much right now, but it had hints of earth and
> leather at end. Just needs time in my not so expert opinion. B
> tonight, A- potential.

Thanks, Dale. We've got a few bottles of this tucked away in the
cellar, part of a group futures purchase. I'll try to keep my hands off
of it for another decade or so while we dig into our stash of '88-'90s.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

renowned for its " tight as a proverbial.........."

have just taken delivery of 3 mags of the 2004, had a rave write up in
Decanter last month. I hope I will live long enough to enjoy them.

Tomorrow my wine club is having a celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the
1982 Claret vintage, we have so much between us that we are spreading it
over two meetings.

I will post notes on Wednesday.

John T