Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "This is a great wine. But I can't stand it."

The ideal connoisseur should be able to say that according to the book
"Making Sense of Wine."

Posted to alt.food.wine

A true connoiseur will always find the right occasion to drink and
enjoy a great wine. Iam tempted to say that they will find the right
occasion to enjoy any half-decent wine.

If anyone here finds a great wine rthey cannot stand, email me and
I'll send them a delivery address. :-)

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> A true connoiseur will always find the right occasion to drink and
> enjoy a great wine. Iam tempted to say that they will find the right
> occasion to enjoy any half-decent wine.

That misses the point, doesn't it?

One can appreciate a wine without enjoying it. "Greatness"
in wine (or most anything else) is an evolving reflection
of contemporary standards and tastes. A specific individual
may develop an appreciation for what is broadly considered
"great" without developing a personal taste for it.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher > wrote in
:

> A true connoiseur will always find the right occasion to drink and
> enjoy a great wine. Iam tempted to say that they will find the right
> occasion to enjoy any half-decent wine.
>
> If anyone here finds a great wine rthey cannot stand, email me and
> I'll send them a delivery address. :-)

Sounds a like a bit of self fullfilling prophecy. One cannot be a true
connoiseur if they don't like X. Truth is most of us have things that we
don't like as much as other things. I think that a true connoisseur
would find the good in a wine that they didn't care for personally for
whatever reason-say the sweetness of a Sauterne or Tokai of which they
may say "this is truly amazingly complex . . . , but a bit sticky for my
palate"

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dana Myers wrote:

> One can appreciate a wine without enjoying it. "Greatness"
> in wine (or most anything else) is an evolving reflection
> of contemporary standards and tastes. A specific individual
> may develop an appreciation for what is broadly considered
> "great" without developing a personal taste for it.

There have been many wines I've felt were very good wines but not my
preferred style. I therefore do not buy them again but I may recommend
them to others who I know like that particular style.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:

> whatever reason-say the sweetness of a Sauterne or Tokai of which they
> may say "this is truly amazingly complex . . . , but a bit sticky for my
> palate"

Many times I'll taste a wine that is very complex, numerous flavors of
varying fruits and other tastes. But the wine itself maybe not be dry,
too light or any number of other reasons I do not prefer it. But I
still consider it a good wine.