FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 3 good wines -Italy, Rhone, Tuscany (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/138882-tn-3-good-wines.html)

DaleW 02-11-2007 03:42 AM

TN: 3 good wines -Italy, Rhone, Tuscany

While Betsy toiled at a conference (libertarians discussing Aida and
Hegel), I ate alone Tuesday. I was tired, had a household chore to
handle when I got home, and having trouble getting enthused in
grocery aisles. When I saw something I knew Betsy would NEVER buy. So
I ended up with supermarket butcher chicken cordon bleu. It roasted
while I did battle with a toilet seat that didn't want to come off, as
it finished I made quick couscous and salad. Chicken wasn't bad, a
reminder of a food from my childhood we thought was off the charts
elegant. Wine was the 2005 Pierre Gonon St. Joseph. This was a
suggestion from David Lille at CSW as a replacement for an out of
stock St-Jo, one of the few stores in the world where I'd blindly say
yes. I'm glad I did. Lovely dark berry fruit, clean bright acidity, a
hint of meat. There are tannins, but they are ripe and easy, not a
problem. Certainly enough structure to age, but really nice for
current drinking. Doesn't beat its chest or rev its motors, just a
lovely middleweight gentlemanly Syrah. Holds well over 2 nights. Will
get more, B+/A-

I love my little town on Halloween. Ultimate small town thing.
Business district streets are closed down, mobs of kids trick or
treating. My office gave out 3500 pieces (averaging 2-3 at a time).
Betsy and Lucy joined us (though Lucy shook off her costume early). A
few pix here, none wine-related (though some here have met a couple of
friends pictured at wine dinners):
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0Aat3DFqzYuGLo4

Then Betsy headed home to make dinner. Bolognese with some storebought
broccoli rabe, and a 375 of 2005 Felsina Chianti Classico. I found
this more structured than some recent notes- bright red cherry fruit
and classic acidity, but also some tannins. Nice with the dish, but I
think this would benefit from a bit of rest. As it gets some air, the
fruit is more black cherry, and leather/earth notes emerge. Reminds me
a bit of the '99, which is drinking well now. B+

Tonight just leftovers, and for the wine too. Sips of the St. Joseph
and Chianti, and the wine Betsy used in her sauce Wednesday, the 2006
Domaine Pepiere Muscadet. It's usual lovely self, made even more
approachable by being open a day. Ripe apple and citrus fruit, some
chalky minerality, crisp acidity, nice length. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency