FoodBanter.com

-   -   Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/137766-newbie-storing-champagne-room.html)

Chris M 19-10-2007 11:43 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

Hello All,
I don't have a cool place to store champagne except the refrigerator
which is too cold. So given that the temperature in the house varies
from 72 to 80 Fahrenheit, how long is a bottle of champagne likely to
last here? It's stored in a dark and humid place.
Thanks,
Chris

Joseph Coulter[_3_] 20-10-2007 12:09 AM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

Chris M > wrote in news:1192833815.877880.54140
@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> Hello All,
> I don't have a cool place to store champagne except the refrigerator
> which is too cold. So given that the temperature in the house varies
> from 72 to 80 Fahrenheit, how long is a bottle of champagne likely to
> last here? It's stored in a dark and humid place.
> Thanks,
> Chris

I would opt for the fridge under those circumstances, esp if the storage
isn't forever. Biggest problem with fridge is thatthe cork will dry out
and the wine won't age, this is hardly as big an issue as wine getting
to warm and prematurely dying.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Chris M 20-10-2007 01:39 AM

On Oct 19, 7:09 pm, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> Chris M > wrote in news:1192833815.877880.54140
> @q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hello All,
> > I don't have a cool place to store champagne except the refrigerator
> > which is too cold. So given that the temperature in the house varies
> > from 72 to 80 Fahrenheit, how long is a bottle of champagne likely to
> > last here? It's stored in a dark and humid place.
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

> I would opt for the fridge under those circumstances, esp if the storage
> isn't forever. Biggest problem with fridge is thatthe cork will dry out
> and the wine won't age, this is hardly as big an issue as wine getting
> to warm and prematurely dying.
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacationswww.josephcoulter.com
>
> 877 832 2021
> 904 631 8863 cell

Thanks. Out of curiosity, how long would it last outside the fridge?
It's been outside the fridge for about 4 weeks now, so I'm wondering
if it has started to die already.
Chris

Mark Lipton[_1_] 20-10-2007 03:02 AM

Chris M wrote:

> Thanks. Out of curiosity, how long would it last outside the fridge?
> It's been outside the fridge for about 4 weeks now, so I'm wondering
> if it has started to die already.

Heat damage is a subtle thing, Chris, and Champagne unfortunately is
particularly susceptible to heat-related damage in my experience. What
you're likely to find is that the wine is still very nice, but might
seem a bit less fruity than one that's been stored under cooler
conditions. Leave it at 75-80° for another month, and it might start
tasting oxidized (think of the flavor of browned apples) and lose its
fruit altogether (at which point folks could call it "maderized").
That's pretty easy to spot.

HTH
Mark Lipton

cwdjrxyz 20-10-2007 05:02 PM

On Oct 19, 9:02 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Chris M wrote:
> > Thanks. Out of curiosity, how long would it last outside the fridge?
> > It's been outside the fridge for about 4 weeks now, so I'm wondering
> > if it has started to die already.

> Heat damage is a subtle thing, Chris, and Champagne unfortunately is
> particularly susceptible to heat-related damage in my experience. What
> you're likely to find is that the wine is still very nice, but might
> seem a bit less fruity than one that's been stored under cooler
> conditions. Leave it at 75-80° for another month, and it might start
> tasting oxidized (think of the flavor of browned apples) and lose its
> fruit altogether (at which point folks could call it "maderized").
> That's pretty easy to spot.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

One other thing to consider is that the Champagne may have been
sitting in a warm store, or even a hot warehouse, for up to many
months before you buy it. This was enough of a problem several years
ago in some parts of the US that one Champagne house, it may have been
Bollinger, started shipping their very expensive RD Champagne only on
special order. If you ever buy several bottles of Champagne at once,
first buy a single bottle and open it unless someone at the store that
you trust can give you a history of how the wine has been stored. One
retailer I knew many years ago said she would not buy high quality
wine from a certain distributor, because they stored the wine in a
warm warehouse.

Shaun Eli 22-10-2007 04:28 AM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

I think that if it hasn't spent a lot of time over 80 degrees you have
nothing to worry about.

I've stored bottles of Champagne in the fridge for more than two years
and they've been just fine (and I drink enough Champagne that I think
I'd notice if it's off). The idea that corks will dry out in a dry
fridge is a bit exaggerated-- after all, the humidity INSIDE the
bottle is 100% so the inside part of the cork is going to stay wet
enough.

To be clear, though, I think you are much better off storing wine
inside a refrigerator for even quite a long time rather than letting
it sit in a house that gets way too warm.

You're going to want to drink it cold anyway so why not store it in
the fridge?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)
A new, redesigned website with a new comedy video (10 minutes long and
free from profanity)

gerald 22-10-2007 01:22 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

It looks to me like there is a lot of 98 and 99 Dom perigon out there.
when was it disgourgee?
where is it stored?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:28:24 -0700, Shaun Eli

Chris M 26-10-2007 02:07 AM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

That's interesting that you've stored champagne in the fridge that
long. I was wary of storing it there because I read this. Now that I
think about this, though, it doesn't make sense that food smells would
permeate the champagne. Even if I filled my fridge with just one kind
of food and never emptied it or cleaned it, I doubt that would happen.

http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/specials/199...hat/index.html

Question from ron_s: How long can you store Champagne in a
refrigerator?

Ed McCarthy: That's another good question. And I'm glad someone asked
that question because this is one of the common abuses I find in
Champagne storage. Champagne should not be stored indefinitely in a
refrigerator. The excessive cold sort of numbs and flattens the
Champagne. It loses its character and flavor, and there are other
things about refrigerators. Food smells can eventually permeate the
Champagne. You can imagine a strong cheese or something like that. The
refrigerator motor going on and off is not good for the Champagne
either.

I would say it's fine to store a fine Champagne in a refrigerator for
a few days, maybe even up to a week, but you should not store it for a
few months or more. I know people that have had Champagne in their
refrigerator for years, and I wonder what that Champagne is going to
taste like when they open it.

-Chris

Richard Neidich 26-10-2007 02:21 AM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

I was just at Schramsberg in Napa and they urged similar NOT to store in
refrig.

I do store mine in a garage frige for month at a time. I do NOT have food
in there just wine.

I have NEVER had a problem with the wine being numbed.

I have no idea why this rumor exists.

Surely over time the cork could dry out but I have never had this issue. I
have Dom, Cristal, Schramsberg and a few others out there. Never been an
issue.

Any thoughts?
ups.com...

Joseph Coulter[_3_] 26-10-2007 12:28 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in
:

> I was just at Schramsberg in Napa and they urged similar NOT to store
> in refrig.

Of course what they would rather have you do is cool it down and drink
it. When the question becomes long term hot room or cold there really
can't be any question. cold. Might be numb beats cooked every day.

Richard Neidich 26-10-2007 01:44 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

I have never noticed my Champaigne being numb and it is stored in refrig.

That was my point.

. 97.136...

Shaun Eli 26-10-2007 11:34 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

If the cork prevents the liquid from getting out (and the liquid is
small molecules, mostly water) I'm pretty sure that my garlic isn't
going to get in. The seal on the bottle is MUCH more secure than the
seal on my fridge door and my kitchen doesn't smell like what I put in
the fridge unless I take it out and start chopping.

Richard Neidich 27-10-2007 12:02 AM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

totally agreed!!!
ups.com...

Emery Davis 27-10-2007 02:36 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:34:28 -0700
Shaun Eli > wrote:

> If the cork prevents the liquid from getting out (and the liquid is
> small molecules, mostly water) I'm pretty sure that my garlic isn't
> going to get in. The seal on the bottle is MUCH more secure than the
> seal on my fridge door and my kitchen doesn't smell like what I put in
> the fridge unless I take it out and start chopping.

And yet, your argument is contrary to conventional cellar wisdom, unless
you consider the seal on champagne tighter than other bottles.

Typically we try to cellar wine away from "strong" smells, like petroleum
from a furnace. Are you saying that you think it's fine to cellar wine in
any malodorous environment so long as the temperature is OK?

Putting aside the "size of molecules" argument, surely we expect some
gaseous exchange by way of the cork. That's why screw tops age
very differently than cork (is my guess anyway). Certainly it is reasonable
to posit that some foody smells might also penetrate.

The question of vibration is separate, personally -- although I'm a strong
believer in travel shock -- I think vibration from a refrigerator would not
have much effect.

All this said, my cellar is cold enough that champagne needs little chilling!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Richard Neidich 27-10-2007 02:51 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

Where we live in NC I have a Crawl spalce under house not a true cellar. So
I use mostly Eurocave.

I was in a friends house with a cellar on a 100 degree day here in NC and
can tell you that they are NOT cool enough here. It temps were about 75
degrees and varyed tremendously. He had to use air cooling unit to get
temps for wine storage.

I enjoy my eurocave system but due to space capacity, I store my champagne
in a true refrigerator but no food is there...only wine in my garage.

Never had a problem.

Joseph Coulter[_3_] 27-10-2007 03:03 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> And yet, your argument is contrary to conventional cellar wisdom,
> unless you consider the seal on champagne tighter than other bottles.

Not so much the tighter seal, I would think, but the fact that champagne
is bottled under pressure. Osmosis might still be at work but the higher
internal pressure would tend to negate any movement into the bottle,
whereas a dry cork in a still wine provides a ready conduit.

enoavidh[_1_] 27-10-2007 03:58 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

Just to drop in and mention, I bought a bottle of Pol Roger Cuvee Winston
Churchill 1993 on January 23, 2004, and it has been in my refrigerator,
on its side, in its presentation box, until last Wednesday.
I have never had a vintage Champagne before, and I don't think I've ever
had any Pol Roger. I know that folks here have mentioned that vintage is
an acquired taste, but I really didn't know what to expect.
It was very tasty, but I think my taste buds are not sensitive enough to
have appreciated it...I had it with broiled lobster tails and apple
slices sauteed in butter (it was my 50th b-day :D)
The bubbles were very, very tiny, and non-stop. I could get toastiness
and maybe a little apple in the taste. Felt really nice to drink, too.
Did it knock my socks off? No. I guess I didn't find it better than the
regular NV Bollinger I had a couple of years ago.
So, I don't know if it was the storage, the fact that is was vintage, or
my inexperience. Or maybe I prefer a different style. Maybe I'll have a
regular Pol Roger sometime...

PS, so the bottle in its box was on the bottom shelf, way in back, and at
some point, something spilled and seeped under the box, which then
adhered to the shelf. I managed to carefully, without shaking, pry it
loose; and pulled it out, with one hand. The tape on the box gave way,
and, clunk! The bottle hit the floor! Augh! This was only a drop of
about a foot, but, OMG! So I got my biggest bowl and carefully opened
the bottle, resting it inside, in case it was a gusher ;) It was okay ;)
:)
d.
--
As a public service, the link to the alt.food.wine FAQ:
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com/

Joseph Coulter[_3_] 27-10-2007 05:09 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

enoavidh > wrote in
. 100:

> Just to drop in and mention, I bought a bottle of Pol Roger Cuvee
> Winston Churchill 1993 on January 23, 2004, and it has been in my
> refrigerator, on its side, in its presentation box, until last
> Wednesday. I have never had a vintage Champagne before, and I don't
> think I've ever had any Pol Roger. I know that folks here have
> mentioned that vintage is an acquired taste, but I really didn't know
> what to expect. It was very tasty, but I think my taste buds are not
> sensitive enough to have appreciated it...I had it with broiled
> lobster tails and apple slices sauteed in butter (it was my 50th b-day
> :D) The bubbles were very, very tiny, and non-stop. I could get
> toastiness and maybe a little apple in the taste. Felt really nice to
> drink, too. Did it knock my socks off? No. I guess I didn't find it
> better than the regular NV Bollinger I had a couple of years ago.
> So, I don't know if it was the storage, the fact that is was vintage,
> or my inexperience. Or maybe I prefer a different style. Maybe I'll
> have a regular Pol Roger sometime...

I have had Taitinger's Compte du Champagne and P-J Fluer as well as Dom
once, none of them blew me away either, though the Compte came close.
For the money the sparkler that I have enjoyed most recently was a
Domaine Chandon Rose from Yarra Valley.

Emery Davis 27-10-2007 05:44 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:03:56 -0500
Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> Emery Davis > wrote in
> :
>
> > And yet, your argument is contrary to conventional cellar wisdom,
> > unless you consider the seal on champagne tighter than other bottles.
> >

> Not so much the tighter seal, I would think, but the fact that champagne
> is bottled under pressure. Osmosis might still be at work but the higher
> internal pressure would tend to negate any movement into the bottle,
> whereas a dry cork in a still wine provides a ready conduit.

Hi Joseph,

Yes, I can buy the pressure argument. But I'd guess that like any other
corked wine, champagne would be best stored away from strong smells.

Then again, I regularly keep some pretty strong cheeses, so I may not
be typical in that sense.

Not sure I buy the argument about cold, anyway. How about Glamis?
Now about so-called shipwreck champagne? No, it's the risk of eaux de
camembert that would keep mine in the cellar... ;)

-E

Emery Davis 27-10-2007 05:54 PM

Newbie: Storing champagne at room temperature

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:58:09 +0000 (UTC)
enoavidh > wrote:

> have appreciated it...I had it with broiled lobster tails and apple
> slices sauteed in butter (it was my 50th b-day :D)

Congratulations D! Sounds tasty, too.

-E