Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chateauneuf du Pape Domain des Trois Plantiers 1998 info?

Hello,

I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.

I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
"1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
wine, and I like a lot.

I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
"Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
for, this 1998 red. Any leads?

Thanks,

Scott

Posted to alt.food.wine

Chateauneuf du Pape (tr: "Pope's new Castle" a reference to the middle ages,
when the pope lived in France) is an 'appellation' of Beaujolais, as I
recall.
Beaujolais being mainly a product of the Gamay grape.
Light, fruity, an excellent entry point to red wine appreciation.
Drink it young.
Lucky bugger! We only see it occasionally in Australia.
"Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hello,
>
> I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.
>
> I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
> "1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
> wine, and I like a lot.
>
> I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
> "Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
> varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
> for, this 1998 red. Any leads?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Posted to alt.food.wine

Scott Gordo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.
>
> I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
> "1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
> wine, and I like a lot.
>
> I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
> "Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
> varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
> for, this 1998 red. Any leads?

OK, here's the Cliff Notes version: Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a region in
the Southern reaches of the Rhone Valley of France. It's fairly famous
for its red wines, which can be made in principle from 13 different
grape varieties (in practice, most wineries there use only a few:
Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre/Cinsault/Counoise). The red wines are noted
for their very fruity, hearty nature and can often last 10-20 after the
vintage. 1998 was a very good year there, and the wines are still very
lively for the most part. Producers there fall into two major camps:
the "modern" outfits who make forward, simple wines meant to be drunk in
the first 5 years of their life, and the "traditional" producers, whose
wines are a bit rustic and powerful, and can age for up to 25 years.

Most '98s have long since been sold. You can look for the 2005s, which
are only now entering the market. Expect to pay $20-50 for most
well-known wineries. I don't know anything about your producer, which
is something since I'm pretty well versed in the wines of the region,
but some of the better producers a

Bosquet des Papes
Clos des Papes
Domaine du Cailloux
Domaine de Font de Michelle
Chateau de la Gardine
Domaine de Marcoux
Clos du Mont-Olivet
Chateau La Nerthe
Domaine du Pegau
Domaine de Vieux Donjon
Domaine de Vieux Telegraphe

Another thing to consider is the wines from the neighboring, less famous
regions: Gigondas, Vacqueyras, Rasteau, Cairanne. Also, you can try the
red Cotes du Rhone wines, which generally sell for $10-20. Some decent
examples a

Perrin Reserve
Domaine Alary
Domaine du Caillou
Guigal
Jaboulet Parallele 45

HTH
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 15, 10:54 pm, "Potblak" > wrote:
> Chateauneuf du Pape (tr: "Pope's new Castle" a reference to the middle ages,
> when the pope lived in France) is an 'appellation' of Beaujolais, as I
> recall.
> Beaujolais being mainly a product of the Gamay grape.
> Light, fruity, an excellent entry point to red wine appreciation.
> Drink it young.
> Lucky bugger! We only see it occasionally in Australia."Scott Gordo" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > Hello,

> > I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.

> > I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
> > "1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
> > wine, and I like a lot.

> > I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
> > "Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
> > varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
> > for, this 1998 red. Any leads?

> > Thanks,

> > Scott

Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a Southern Rhone Valley appellation. It is
centered around the city of Avignon, where the pope resided during the
Great Schism. The principal grapes are Syrah, Grenache and Counoise.
Nothing to do with Beaujolais. There are many, many producers of
Chateauneuf-du-Pape. What you want to Google is "Domaine des Trois
Plantiers" to find more of this wine. It's not a domaine I'm familiar
with.

As an aside, I received som Chateauneuf last week for my restaurant
that was stamped " CH9". It gave me a chuckle. (9 in French is neuf).

Mark Slater

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 15, 8:18 pm, Scott Gordo > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.
>
> I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
> "1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
> wine, and I like a lot.
>
> I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
> "Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
> varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
> for, this 1998 red. Any leads?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

In a short search, I did not find the 1998 for sale. I am guessing you
are in the US. If not, there may be other sources. I did find one
source for the non-vintage Domaine des Trois Plantiers for sale for
roughly $20. See http://www2.shopping.com/xDN-wine--r...inechateau_com
.. the main page is www.winechateau.com. I believe they will ship to
many areas and that case discounts are available. If one could find a
good vintage year wine, it likely would cost more.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I stand corrected.
"Tire-Bouchon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 15, 10:54 pm, "Potblak" > wrote:
>> Chateauneuf du Pape (tr: "Pope's new Castle" a reference to the middle
>> ages,
>> when the pope lived in France) is an 'appellation' of Beaujolais, as I
>> recall.
>> Beaujolais being mainly a product of the Gamay grape.
>> Light, fruity, an excellent entry point to red wine appreciation.
>> Drink it young.
>> Lucky bugger! We only see it occasionally in Australia."Scott Gordo"
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>
>> > Hello,

>> > I know nothing about good wine. Zip, zero, zilch.

>> > I had a party a few weeks ago. Some friends brought a bottle that says
>> > "1998 - Domaine des Trois Plantiers - Chatueauneuf du Pape. It's red
>> > wine, and I like a lot.

>> > I'd like to find out where I can get more of it. I tried googling
>> > "Chateuaneuf du Pape", but it looks like there are a lot of different
>> > varieties and I found it hard to track down exactly what I was looking
>> > for, this 1998 red. Any leads?

>> > Thanks,

>> > Scott

> Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a Southern Rhone Valley appellation. It is
> centered around the city of Avignon, where the pope resided during the
> Great Schism. The principal grapes are Syrah, Grenache and Counoise.
> Nothing to do with Beaujolais. There are many, many producers of
> Chateauneuf-du-Pape. What you want to Google is "Domaine des Trois
> Plantiers" to find more of this wine. It's not a domaine I'm familiar
> with.
>
> As an aside, I received som Chateauneuf last week for my restaurant
> that was stamped " CH9". It gave me a chuckle. (9 in French is neuf).
>
> Mark Slater

04 Grand Tinel Chateauneuf du Pape Emery Davis Wine 0 29-10-2007 11:10 AM
Chateauneuf-du-Pape at Costco Dee Dee Wine 2 25-06-2007 01:19 PM
2004 Chateauneuf du Pape Bill S. Wine 4 09-04-2007 02:25 PM
Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 MaxMustermann Wine 14 11-01-2006 05:07 PM
making chateauneuf du pape LG1111 Winemaking 3 27-07-2004 04:41 PM