Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Tasting fees: general

Tasting fees kinda tick me off. I understand wanting to keep the winos
looking for a free high out of the tasting room, but:

1. I spend a goodly amount on wine every month. (my social security
check is my budget according to SWMBO.)

2. I go to taste new releases for purchase for consumption or laying away.

3. Particularly in the Willamette Valley I have spent more on gas to
get to the tasting room to give them a chance at my consumer dollar.

4. Even though most apply the fee to purchase, it especially hurts if
one doesn't purchase because one HATES the wine! I have more often
than I like to think, paid $5 to taste 3 perfectly horrible wines at
wineries that I'd never heard of, but thought I'd give a try.

5. I often taste to purchase later at my local wine pusher - I want to
support him, and there is not enough room in my Smart.

It is like the lottery - you know you are going to regret it, but
there is a chance.... You might find a sleeper!

Maybe we could get wineries to honor ID cards that allow AFW trolls to
taste fee free :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> Tasting fees kinda tick me off. I understand wanting to keep the winos
> looking for a free high out of the tasting room, but:

I understand that many wineries in the Okanagan Valley have started charging
for tasting. This is because they were getting busloads of tourists who
tasted but didn't buy.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-10-03 16:42:17 -0700, "graham" > said:

> "Ronin" > wrote in message
>> Tasting fees kinda tick me off. I understand wanting to keep the winos
>> looking for a free high out of the tasting room, but:
>>

> I understand that many wineries in the Okanagan Valley have started charging
> for tasting. This is because they were getting busloads of tourists who
> tasted but didn't buy.
> Graham

That was one place that got me bad... I tasted some very good wines,
but I also tasted some real drek. And I did pay for the privledge of
tasting the drek. 20 years ago I tasted some wines in Connecticut and
Virginia, and thank Baccus I didn't have to pay for the experience..

Jim

Corkage Fees Earle Jones Wine 21 04-06-2011 02:30 PM
tasting fees:general Bill Loftin Wine 2 04-10-2007 06:13 PM
Oregon Wine Tasting Fees Ben[_3_] Wine 7 02-10-2007 07:11 PM
Clos des Fées, Virtu and others (read on st helier) st.helier Wine 0 28-02-2006 10:18 AM
Fees for selling wine? james Winemaking 4 16-08-2004 04:55 PM