Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Faithful Hound and Dog House

Sunday we celebrated Lucy the Basset's 5th birthday. She was a rescue
dog, and probably only 9 months when we got her, but best we can do is
go with anniversary of her arrival with her "forever family."

We had a birthday tea, with chips, mango salsa, tomatillo guacamole,
sausage, cheese, and peach pie. A couple of themed wines were served:

2002 Mulderbosch "Faithful Hound" (Stellenbosch).
Ripe black fruit, a bit oaky. Calms down a bit with air. As oak
becomes more background noise, some earth, leather, and a hint of
burnt rubber.
Could pass for $20 Medoc from a ripe vintage. Could use a bit more
acidic verve, but pleasant "Bordeaux blend." B

2005 Dog House "Charlie's Chard" Chardonnay
I've liked the Faithful Hound before, but this was just bought based
on name, I had low expectations. Back label emphasized vanilla, so I
was expecting oaky. But it wasn't really- not much obvious oak, and
surprisingly good acidity. The problem however was an edge of
sweetness to the tropical fruit, that really seemed to dominate. I
couldn't escape the sugar. B-/C+

There was also of course rawhide and doggie snacks. Canine attendees
included 3 Yorkies, 2 Pugs, 1 Spaniel, and 1 English Bulldog. Fun was
had by all:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...Aat3DFqzYuGLiQ

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale,
Surely there must be other canine-themed wines to choose from? How
about the LDM "Cuvée Buster" bottlings, or a St. Aubin 1er "Les Murgers
des Dents de Chien," or a Dom. de la Noblaie Chinon Les Chiens-Chiens
(that sounds like "thank you" in Mandarin -- is it a pun?) or -- better
yet -- a Nikolaihof "Steiner Hund" Riesling? There's also Behrens and
Hitchcock's "Chien Lunatique" and Turley's Dogtown Zin.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 2, 1:47?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Dale,
> Surely there must be other canine-themed wines to choose from? How
> about the LDM "Cuv e Buster" bottlings, or a St. Aubin 1er "Les Murgers
> des Dents de Chien," or a Dom. de la Noblaie Chinon Les Chiens-Chiens
> (that sounds like "thank you" in Mandarin -- is it a pun?) or -- better
> yet -- a Nikolaihof "Steiner Hund" Riesling? There's also Behrens and
> Hitchcock's "Chien Lunatique" and Turley's Dogtown Zin.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Why did I go with these? Because I had the Faithful Hound (though some
years I've served Bassetti Vineyards Syrahs from Hug or ESJ for Basset
birthday), and because I happened to see the Dog House for $9. I knew
no one was a real wino who was coming.

As to other suggestions:
I seldom see any Cuvee Buster bottlings, except the Thomas-Labaille,
and find it hard to pay $30+ for any Sancerre (well, maybe Vatan)

Had the 2005 Denis and Francois Clair "Les Murgers des Dents de
Chien" St. Aubin with dinner last night, but the name is about the
rocks, not the dogs.

Dom. de la Noblaie Chinon Les Chiens-Chiens
actually this is a decent wine at least in vintage I tried, but
Faithful Hound better describes Lucy.

I'd happily drink Steinerhund, but last I looked it was over $50, not
the thing for casual outdoor sipping.

B&H "Chien Lunatique"? Even more expensive, and I don't like.

Never paid for a Turley, don't plan on it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 3, 7:07 am wrote:

> > Surely there must be other canine-themed wines to choose from?

> Why did I go with these? Because I had the Faithful Hound

Dale, I can highly recommend the 2007 Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc as
being an excellent wine from a great Marlborough vintage.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:41:26 -0700, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>On Oct 3, 7:07 am wrote:
>
>> > Surely there must be other canine-themed wines to choose from?

>> Why did I go with these? Because I had the Faithful Hound

>Dale, I can highly recommend the 2007 Dog Point Sauvignon Blanc as
>being an excellent wine from a great Marlborough vintage.
>
>st.helier

M'Lord, I have not heard from you since you informed us you were
crossing the pond. When? Where? Meet ? You may have responded to
an old e-addy, I don't think I have re-set the senders details in OE.

hooroo & see you soon.

"replace old faithful ethanol with a cocktail of drugs" Adam Funk General 0 13-04-2006 09:50 AM
TN: Faithful Hound, the wine and the dog DaleW Wine 0 28-09-2005 01:20 AM
TN: wines for a Faithful Hound Dale Williams Wine 7 30-09-2004 07:31 PM
the High Fat faithful Dave LCHF Vegan 9 22-09-2004 10:54 PM
The Hound thopper Barbecue 19 30-10-2003 06:51 PM