FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/136319-tn-1989-ch-lynch.html)

MarcB 02-10-2007 01:47 PM

TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
"cellar" since its arrival.
This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.

Marc

Zeppo[_1_] 02-10-2007 03:13 PM

1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

"MarcB" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
> yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
> wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
> "cellar" since its arrival.
> This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
> drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
> hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
> fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
> mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
> pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
> finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
> only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
> up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.

Marc
Thanks for the notes. Happy anniversary to both of you.

Jon

DaleW 02-10-2007 03:41 PM

TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

On Oct 2, 8:47?am, MarcB > wrote:
> My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
> yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
> wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
> "cellar" since its arrival.
> This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
> drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
> hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
> fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
> mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
> pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
> finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
> only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
> up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.
>
> Marc

I had this last week, lovely wine indeed.

Bi!! 02-10-2007 04:54 PM

TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

On Oct 2, 8:47?am, MarcB > wrote:
> My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
> yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
> wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
> "cellar" since its arrival.
> This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
> drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
> hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
> fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
> mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
> pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
> finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
> only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
> up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.
>
> Marc

Lynch Bages is always a favorite of mine thanks for the notes. I've
always found LB to hvae a little Brett that is more pronounced in some
years than others. Can I assume that the '89 shows a bit of brett?

DaleW 02-10-2007 07:23 PM

TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

On Oct 2, 11:54?am, Bi!! > wrote:
> On Oct 2, 8:47?am, MarcB > wrote:
>
> > My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
> > yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
> > wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
> > "cellar" since its arrival.
> > This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
> > drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
> > hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
> > fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
> > mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
> > pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
> > finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
> > only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
> > up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.

> > Marc

> Lynch Bages is always a favorite of mine thanks for the notes. I've
> always found LB to hvae a little Brett that is more pronounced in some
> years than others. Can I assume that the '89 shows a bit of brett?

Can't speak for Marc, but I didn't get any real bretty aromas from an
'89 Friday. But I'm not very brett sensitive, and of course different
people react to different strains. I have gotten brett from '78 and
'83 Lynches.

Mike Hagley 03-10-2007 05:24 AM

TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

What is "Brett"?

Thank you.
oups.com...

Kent 04-10-2007 06:01 AM

1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages

"MarcB" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife and I shared a bottle of our anniversary wine last evening (18
> yrs of marriage), the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. We initially procured the
> wine on futures, and it has been stored in my relatively warm (62F)
> "cellar" since its arrival.
> This wine is still developing. Decanted an hour before we started
> drinking it, accompanying Steak Diane. Still very dark, with just a
> hint of red-purple at the rim. Nose a bit restrained, but some black-
> fruit aromas and plenty of lead-pencil. On the palate a rich, full
> mouthfeel, and still considerable structure, but in balance. Very
> pure core of Pauillac fruit, and a long (more than 2 min), layered
> finish with fruit and secondary flavors coming and going. This is
> only the second year in which the wine has appeared to be opening
> up. It has a long future, so I am glad I have more.
>
> Marc

We're sipping away the last bottles 1970 Ch. Lynch Bages. It's quite
wonderful, much bigger than
other 1970 clarets. We haven't started on the case of 1982's yet. Has anyone
recently tried this year for
Ch. Lynch Bages, or for any other Bordeaux?
TIA,

Kent

Kent