Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bet dinner-'89 Bdx, '75 Bdx, '88 Aussie, '92 Burg

Last June there was a discussion on another forum about 2005 Bordeaux
prices. My friend Matt posted some incredible opening prices on some
First Growths, and our English buddy Ian felt they couldn't maintain,
with a bold prediction of a big drop in one year. I felt the prices
were high, but doubted bubble burst within a year. Ian and I entered
into a bet - if 3 selected 1sts (Mouton, Latour, and Margaux) dropped
20% in one year, Ian won. If they increased 10% or more, I won. In
between, no winner. Prize was to be a mature Bdx worth $150+. Well,
the Mouton was a dog, but Margaux appreciated nicely, and Latour
soared. It came in at 11%.

Ian was a good sport about his narrow loss, but it seemed silly to
exchange a bottle. So instead we agreed that Ian would contribute a
First Growth, and myself, Matt, and Arv (who was designated judge)
bring other wines from same vintage to a dinner. So last night we met
at Vice Versa in Manhattan. Arv's wife Jen joined us, as did our
friend David who was in US for a big Zachys auction he helped set up
(he said prices were very strong Friday).

Food was pretty good, though place was very loud. I had a half order
of strozzapreti ( ''Strangled Priest'' pasta) with duck ragu, and
suckling pig with grilled endive. There wasn't a dog in the bunch of
wines:

1992 Potinet-Ampeau "Perrieres" Meursault 1er
So at first pour this was almost clear, with light butterscotch over
pear fruit. But in literally a minute colored had darkened
considerably, and some nutty oxidative notes entered. Quite drinkable,
but I felt it was dying in glass. But the funny thing was after the
oxidative notes started, it kind of hung in stasis for a couple hours.
A couple sips with the cheese plate were about the same as those 5
minutes after pouring. Pear, spice, mineral, hazelnuts; too thin to
really be taken for a 1er, but ok. B/B-

1989 Certan de May (Pomerol)
I had decided to double-decant this before getting on train. And good
thing- corked to the max. Luckily I had one more bottle, and decanted
it (though it didn't have time to stand first). Very sweet black plum
fruit, a hint of mocha. There's just a touch of barnyard after a
while, not intrusive. Smooth, although maybe a little less lush
texturally than a true top Pomerol, I still found this quite
enjoyable, and mourn the corked bottle. Holds up well over 2 hours. A-/
B+

1975 Le *** (Pomerol)
A little bretty, high acids, noticable tannins. David says this is
"very 1975" and I can see what he means. Broad-shouldered, brawny, top
especially long. I don't like as much as a recent '75 L'Evangile, but
still a good showing. Pomerols have generally been my favorite '75s. B

1989 Beychevelle
I'm not usually a big Beychevelle fan, but I like this a lot. Good
acidity, resolved tannins, redder fruit than other wines this night.
Lots of herbs and cedar, maybe most "a pointe" wine of evening. A-

1989 Grand Puy Lacoste (Pauillac)
Softer than expected, seemingly pretty mature, plum and blackberry
fruit, low acid, light tannins. B+

1989 Lynch Bages (Pauillac)
I've always liked this wine, but this is one of the better showings. A
very Mouton-esque exoticism, lush, spicy black fruits, lots of coffee
aromas. Entering plateau, but plenty of structure. A-

1989 Lafite Rothschild (Pauillac)
Young and trying to burst out, a thoroughbred straining at the leads
Lovely rich and dense fruit, just developing its secondary aromas, but
clean cedar/lead pencil and some earth. This needs time, but classic
Lafite -elegant yet powerful. A

1988 Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz
I think I don't have any Australians cellared outside some Penfolds
389s from the 90s, but it's wines like this (as well as some Yarra
Yerring, Parker Estates, etc ) that make me realize that's a mistake.
Rich and ripe, yet with structure and backbone, and some elegance to
boot. Nothing over the top here, sweet but not the least bit candied.
Lovely wine. A-

Fun evening with a nice crew. Timing was perfect- I strolled up 9th
Ave on a lovely fall evening and got to Lincoln Center as Betsy came
out. Thanks to Ian for his good sportsmanship, and to all for their
great wine contributions.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

TN: Surprise dinner with Bordeaux, plus Rieslings, Italians, Burg,Loire DaleW Wine 5 11-10-2016 04:05 PM
TN: Great wines in strange bottles- Burg, Bdx, Italy, US, Aussie, etcat Dan's DaleW Wine 0 30-07-2010 07:07 PM
Dinner on the 9th.... Filet Mignon (Aussie style) PeterL[_17_] General Cooking 4 11-07-2009 06:15 PM
Burg and Aussie Shiraz Bi!! Wine 1 27-09-2008 04:56 PM
TN: dinner with the Liptons (Burg, Bdx, Rhne, Loire,Wachau etc) DaleW Wine 4 11-02-2008 05:05 PM