Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Italian Evening

Notes from an Italian evening.

2004 Inama Vigneti di Foscarino Soave Classico Sup. - nice rich lemony
nose with a hint of vanilla, quite full bodied, tasty and long. Soave
on steroids.

2000 Mastroberardino Aglianaco 'Radici' (Taurasi) - this reserve wine
showed medium colour and body and slightly high acidity at end, and it
went well with food. A bit rustic but very pleasant.

1995 Dal Forno Valpolicella - only fitting to have a Valpolicella like
this after a Soave like that - both over achievers. Good deep colour,
ripe sweet nose (a tad warm at 14.5%), medium body, a ton of acidity,
still with some tannin and good flavour concentration. No rush at all
on this one. As always, a shame about the pricing on these wines!

2001 Damilano Barolo - quite light in colour, and lean, tannic and
acidic but without being mean about it. Didn't appeal to me and I
didn't think it would improve.

2002 Aiello Furat - this Sicilian wine is a blend of Nero d'Avola,
syrah, merlot and cab, but the Nero d'Avola is what comes across in
the nose, but in a dark sweet New World sort of way - I didn't see
this as at all traditional like the Feudo Maccari and Morgante wines
one might be used to from this area. It drank well, mind you.

1990 Terrabianca Campaccio Riserva - I tried a 1993 earlier in the
week - pretty good, but I decided to bring the big gun as the 1990 has
always been a wonderful wine. This super Tuscan is mostly sangio with
a dollop (20%) of cabernet, and there was a nice toasty nose of
berries and cedar, an appearance that had them guessing up to a decade
later. In the mouth it was delightful, maturing, with a dusting of
soft tannin and blackberry cassis flavours, good balance without
obtrusive acidity and excellent length. Just wish I'd bought more of
this over achiever.

2004 Campagnia de Ermes Cesanese do Olevano Romano - I can hear the
"What?" already. This is an oddball varietal from near Rome (Lazio)
that showed on this occasion as a dead ringer for a Northern Rhone. It
had the spice, bright cherry aromas, and white pepper in the sweet
nose, elegant on palate, finishing dry and well balanced. If you get
the chance to taste this varietal don't pass it by. Wish I had a
bottle to toss into the next N. Rhone blind tasting that comes my way!

2005 Altare Dolcetto - we are no strangers to the new age big whacking
Dolcetti being made today, although the pricing leaves me cold ($39
for this one). A dusty nose of berries and cocoa, it came across very
much like a cab/merlot blended wine. Certainly a nice example and it
has a few years left, though it won't get any better than it is now.

1999 Antinori Tenuta Marchesi Chianti - these wines are a step up from
the basic Chianti - they see small oak, and it usually shows in the
nose. I thought this one was a particularly pleasing example, slightly
musty but decent nose with some oak, showing a hint of maturity now,
and good fruit with a smooth finish. Drinks very well now and will
hold.

1998 Sette Ponti Crognolo - I must admit to never having been a big
fan of this wine (I prefer the Oreno), but it had a ripe nose, good
weight, still quite a bit of tannin and decent length. Pleasant.

2005 Braida Brachetto d'Acqui - a fun way to end. A slight spritz, the
colour of a side of lox, somewhat soapy nose, somewhat sweet, only
5.5% alcohol, this Muscat was a pleasant alternative to the usual
Moscato d'Asti.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 10:24?am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> has a few years left, though it won't get any better than it is now.
>
> 1999 Antinori Tenuta Marchesi Chianti - these wines are a step up from
> the basic Chianti - they see small oak, and it usually shows in the
> nose. I thought this one was a particularly pleasing example, slightly
> musty but decent nose with some oak, showing a hint of maturity now,
> and good fruit with a smooth finish. Drinks very well now and will
> hold.
>
> 1998 Sette Ponti Crognolo - I must admit to never having been a big
> fan of this wine (I prefer the Oreno), but it had a ripe nose, good
> weight, still quite a bit of tannin and decent length. Pleasant.
>
> 2005 Braida Brachetto d'Acqui - a fun way to end. A slight spritz, the
> colour of a side of lox, somewhat soapy nose, somewhat sweet, only
> 5.5% alcohol, this Muscat was a pleasant alternative to the usual

Thanks for the notes Bill. I had the '05 Altare last week and had the
same impressions. Tasted blind all ten folks guessed it as a new
world cab/merlot blend.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Am 27.09.2007 um 09:10 wurde geantwortet auf:
"Bill S." > schrieb:
> [...]
> has a few years left, though it won't get any better than it is now.
>
> 1999 Antinori Tenuta Marchesi Chianti - these wines are a step up from
> the basic Chianti - they see small oak, and it usually shows in the
> nose. I thought this one was a particularly pleasing example, slightly
> musty but decent nose with some oak, showing a hint of maturity now,
> and good fruit with a smooth finish. Drinks very well now and will
> hold.
>
> 1998 Sette Ponti Crognolo - I must admit to never having been a big
> fan of this wine (I prefer the Oreno), but it had a ripe nose, good
> weight, still quite a bit of tannin and decent length. Pleasant.
>
> 2005 Braida Brachetto d'Acqui - a fun way to end. A slight spritz, the
> colour of a side of lox, somewhat soapy nose, somewhat sweet, only
> 5.5% alcohol, this Muscat was a pleasant alternative to the usual

ciao bill
2005 Altare Dolcetto: here in the old world you can buy a bottle for about 16 dollar.
saluti
me

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Notes from an Italian evening.

Thanks for the notes Bill.

We just got back from a fortnight in Bella Italia. What struck Trish and
myself, was the consistent high quality of mid budget Italian white wines we
had while eating out, we are talking 12 to 18 euros a throw.
Go for the wine list Pinot grigio or Soave at that price and we didn't have
a duff wine.

Wine of the trip was a Lazio chard, by the glass in a wine bar in Bologna.
Cannot remember name as note taking was frowned upon by the boss.

Red wine of the trip was the house wine at Ristorante da Mimmo, in Florence.
a sangiovese with commitment!!

Hope you are well

John

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote in message
k...
>> Notes from an Italian evening.

> Thanks for the notes Bill.
>
> We just got back from a fortnight in Bella Italia. What struck Trish and
> myself, was the consistent high quality of mid budget Italian white wines
> we had while eating out, we are talking 12 to 18 euros a throw.
> Go for the wine list Pinot grigio or Soave at that price and we didn't
> have a duff wine.
>
> Wine of the trip was a Lazio chard, by the glass in a wine bar in
> Bologna. Cannot remember name as note taking was frowned upon by the boss.
>
> Red wine of the trip was the house wine at Ristorante da Mimmo, in
> Florence. a sangiovese with commitment!!
>
> Hope you are well
>
> John

John,
Sage advice for my own impending fortnight in Italia. How was the food at
Ristorante da Mimmo?

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

I have the Dal Forno Romano Valpolicella Superiore 2002 on my
winelist. It is expensive, but utterly delicious.

Mark Slater

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Tire-Bouchon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have the Dal Forno Romano Valpolicella Superiore 2002 on my
> winelist. It is expensive, but utterly delicious.
>
> Mark Slater

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Sage advice for my own impending fortnight in Italia. How was the food at
> Ristorante da Mimmo?

excellent, hearty Tuscan fare, ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach
lightas a feather

address is Via S Gallo

055 481030

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote in message
o.uk...
>> Sage advice for my own impending fortnight in Italia. How was the food at
>> Ristorante da Mimmo?

> excellent, hearty Tuscan fare, ravioli stuffed with ricotta and spinach
> lightas a feather
>
> address is Via S Gallo
>
> 055 481030

Grazie

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 10:24 am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> has a few years left, though it won't get any better than it is now.
>
> 1999 Antinori Tenuta Marchesi Chianti - these wines are a step up from
> the basic Chianti - they see small oak, and it usually shows in the
> nose. I thought this one was a particularly pleasing example, slightly
> musty but decent nose with some oak, showing a hint of maturity now,
> and good fruit with a smooth finish. Drinks very well now and will
> hold.
>
> 1998 Sette Ponti Crognolo - I must admit to never having been a big
> fan of this wine (I prefer the Oreno), but it had a ripe nose, good
> weight, still quite a bit of tannin and decent length. Pleasant.
>
> 2005 Braida Brachetto d'Acqui - a fun way to end. A slight spritz, the
> colour of a side of lox, somewhat soapy nose, somewhat sweet, only
> 5.5% alcohol, this Muscat was a pleasant alternative to the usual

Why anyone would drink anything but Italian wine is beyond me...

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC > wrote:

> Why anyone would drink anything but Italian wine is beyond me...

Trust me, there's much more under the sun that's beyond you.

And now, back to the filter.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 29, 4:11 am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> UC > wrote:
> > Why anyone would drink anything but Italian wine is beyond me...

> Trust me, there's much more under the sun that's beyond you.
>
> And now, back to the filter.
>
> M.

Hadn't realized this pillock was still hanging out here.
Nothing better to do, I suppose. I'd agree, Michael, there is much
that is clearly beyond him.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Young Martle > wrote:

> ... only has one testical!?

There is no such thing as a "testical" in the English language.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"testicle"

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> Young Martle > wrote:
>
>> ... only has one testical!?

> There is no such thing as a "testical" in the English language.
>
> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Richard Neidich" > wrote:

>>> ... only has one testical!?

>> There is no such thing as a "testical" in the English language.

> "testicle"

You might be surprised, but I know.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Young Martle > wrote:

> Besides, what do you expect for 3:24 am?

Nothing.

My newsreader says your post is from 7:42 am (Central European
Daylight Saving Time that is). I have no intention to check entire
headers to see what was the posting time in other parts of this
planet.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I had figured that was your real area of expertise :-)