FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hunter Valley NSW AU (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/135771-hunter-valley-nsw-au.html)

Joseph Coulter[_3_] 26-09-2007 12:18 AM

Hunter Valley NSW AU

Just a few comments, too many wines in too short a period for any
seriousnotes. We did three cellar doors the day we hit Sydney from the
states (+wine at the hotel at check in).

Audrey Wilkinson, oldest vinyard in the Valley has delicious Semillions and
as mentioned in the FAQ a view to die for.

Max Roth of Rothvale hosted a dinner for us at the Mill Restaurant at the
Tuscany Wine Estate. Max is a retired Vet who makes excellent wines-his
Semillion was very different almost coming off as a SB. very interesting
choices for matching including the aforementioned Semillion with Quail-
itworked despite my insistence that Pinot Noir was needed.

We played the options game and I went out for knowing the right reason but
getting the answer wrong on was this wine grown on the north or south
slope. It was very ripe so the sunny side, Oops, that is the south in OZ.
Down went the only two who were close in the first tasting (I thought 5
year old Cabernet, the other a 2 year old Merlot, in fact itwas a 5 year
old Merlot the from was a bit of a given as all of the wines we had came
from Max's vinyard. Oh well that is what the options game is all about.

In the Yara wine of the day was the Domaine Chandon Rose palest of pinks
with a rich full body. Downer was the Chandon Sparkling Shiraz too too and
sticky to boot.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com