Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Charity tasting: Stony Hill, '68 Taurasi,76Prum, '78 Barolo,'00 CSH, more

My friend Mark Golodetz is a generous guy, and every year tries to put
on a tasting for charity. This year he provided a complete vertical of
Stony Hill Chardonnay from 1974 to 1983, and gathered a generous group
of wine lovers. Everyone wrote checks to one or more of three
organizations that work with the homeless (my group, plus 2 soup
kitchens in Peekskill), and we gathered in a nice room at River Valley
Wine Cellars, a topnotch storage facility in Hawthorne. I'll note that
the bottles had NOT been stored for the vast majority of their lives
at River Valley, as the tasting showed the perils of iffy storage
(bottles were acquired at auction, some had lower fills).

Stony Hill Chardonnay (originally "Pinot Chardonnay")
1974: Advanced, very nutty, with a big streak of spice. If you can
take a bit of oxidation, interesting. B-/C+
1975- some thought this corked, I didn't get TCA but a bit of sewage.
And thin to boot. Flawed, in any case. NR
1976- nutty, oxidized, acidic, less interesting than '74. C/C-
1977- showing age, but I liked a bit more than table. Interesting old
Chard. Some felt acid unintegrated. C+/B-
1978- Omigod. Maybe the most corked bottle I've ever smelt. I couldn't
hold my face near glass. NR
1979- freshest to this point. Mature but interesting. A second bottle
was brought to dinner afterwards, a bit better. Bottle #1 B-/C+, #2 B-
1980- a bit fresher, apple and pear fruit, rather short. B-/C+
1981- for a wine that saw no malo, this is a butter bomb. Butter over
baked apple pie, despite fullness there is good crispness, my favorite
of night. B
1982- most divisive wine of night (at my end of table), I got a little
funk, but others declared revolting. I didn't get that, but not much
there. C+/C
1983- A little clunky, but better than the evening average. Soft and
sweet fruit. B-

Mark pulled out a couple of bonus bottles to make up for poor showing:
1979 du Tertre - Floral berry nose with an interesting wild edge,
mineral and red fruit on palate,.with a nice finish. The mineral core
has an interesting ferric streak to it. Opens nicely -
"Margauxberries" , tobacco, and graphite. Mark says not the best
bottle of this, I probably agree (bought several based on his rec,
really enjoyed), but still a lovely Margaux. A-

1983- a tad animal/funky on nose at first, that blows off leaving a
nice classically styled midweight claret. More red than black fruit,
resolved tannins, sweet fruit. B

At that point most of us headed to a nearby Italian restaurant. After
the music was lowered a very enjoyable dinner with some truly great
wines (Mark's stipulation had been "something good with a story", and
I enjoyed stories, but not as much as wines!):

2000 Trimbach Clos St. Hune
OK, infanticide, but really fun infanticide. Ripeness of the vintage
shows, not austere at all, open and fruity. But there is that hidden
core of taut minerality. Big big big. A glass set aside and revisited
at end of night shows even more fruit, but now the wet stones are
really apparent. A/A- (and almost certainly a straight A in time)

1976 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkap
Holy moley! Beautiful gold turning to red color, petrolly nose,
powerful but at the same time airy/ethereal. Light in mouth, but no
shortage of flavor. Orange rind, minerals, petrol. Solid A

1968 Mastroberadino Taurasi Riserva
A light lifted note on nose, fragrant, young. Despite its age this is
still powerful and vibrant, dried cherry fruit and leather, going
strong. Amazing wine. A

1978 Valentino Barolo Riserva
Not a producer I've ever heard of, but that is my problem- nice wine!
Younger than its age, beautiful red fruit, a bit of tar and spice. A-

1989 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
A very good bottle of this. Ripe warm red fruit with a touch of
kirsch, a little hint of barnyard (but just a hint), some damp earth
and mushroom. Really lovely wine, that probably could have been my
WOTN at many offlines, but a tad behind the stars tonight for me. B+/
A-

1982 Gloria - this is a sentimental wine for me, and I think the best
period for drinking this was maybe 5 to 10 years ago, but this is
holding on even if a step past its prime. Lovely ripe nose, warm black
plum fruit on the palate. There's just a hint of pruniness, a older
wine in a ripe vintage, but this little bargain wine is still hanging
on. B/B+

Thanks to Mark for organizing, and to all for their generosity (both
to charities and winelovers).

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the great notes, Dale. It sounds like a very fun and helpful
event. As I have no firsthand experience with Stony Hill, it was most
informative to hear your report. It was also helpful to hear a report
on the '89 Beaucastel, as I still have a bottle in the cellar.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 20, 10:26?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Thanks for the great notes, Dale. It sounds like a very fun and helpful
> event. As I have no firsthand experience with Stony Hill, it was most
> informative to hear your report. It was also helpful to hear a report
> on the '89 Beaucastel, as I still have a bottle in the cellar.
>
> Cheers!
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

It should be clear that Stony Hill actually has a rep for
longevity.But this wasn't best treated bunch, many had iffy fills.
Sometimes you luck out with low fills, not tonight (and I find odds
are better with reds or sweet than dry whites).

Hope your Beaucastel is as good as this one. I'm sure you know this is
a famously variable wine. Mark said apparently one of the original US
shipments sat on a ship in August due to a strike or simular issue. So
its flipping a coin to know what you got.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Hope your Beaucastel is as good as this one. I'm sure you know this is
> a famously variable wine. Mark said apparently one of the original US
> shipments sat on a ship in August due to a strike or simular issue. So
> its flipping a coin to know what you got.

Point well taken, Dale. Alas, I had two bottles of this, one bought
locally in '91-'92, the other bought at a small store in Florida a year
later. I don't remember which one I still have, but both are of
somewhat suspect provenance.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:48:33 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>
> > Hope your Beaucastel is as good as this one. I'm sure you know this is
> > a famously variable wine. Mark said apparently one of the original US
> > shipments sat on a ship in August due to a strike or simular issue. So
> > its flipping a coin to know what you got.
> >

> Point well taken, Dale. Alas, I had two bottles of this, one bought
> locally in '91-'92, the other bought at a small store in Florida a year
> later. I don't remember which one I still have, but both are of
> somewhat suspect provenance.

I know at least the provenance of my '89 is good, because I got it
from the source! I've got a bit, so we could see how it stacks up
against the cuvée Gonnet...

That '82 Gloria seems to be a special wine for a lot of folks. True
for some close friends also, and it is the bottle I proposed to Adele
over, on a picnic on the Pembrokeshire coast path. I've got one
left, but can't quite find the right occasion to dispose of it.

What's yours about Dale (if not indiscreet to ask)?

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 20, 1:05?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:48:33 -0400
>
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:

> > > Hope your Beaucastel is as good as this one. I'm sure you know this is
> > > a famously variable wine. Mark said apparently one of the original US
> > > shipments sat on a ship in August due to a strike or simular issue. So
> > > its flipping a coin to know what you got.

> > Point well taken, Dale. Alas, I had two bottles of this, one bought
> > locally in '91-'92, the other bought at a small store in Florida a year
> > later. I don't remember which one I still have, but both are of
> > somewhat suspect provenance.

> I know at least the provenance of my '89 is good, because I got it
> from the source! I've got a bit, so we could see how it stacks up
> against the cuv e Gonnet...
>
> That '82 Gloria seems to be a special wine for a lot of folks. True
> for some close friends also, and it is the bottle I proposed to Adele
> over, on a picnic on the Pembrokeshire coast path. I've got one
> left, but can't quite find the right occasion to dispose of it.
>
> What's yours about Dale (if not indiscreet to ask)?
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

This was my last bottle. Mark had said "with a story" -this was first
thing I saw in cellar that fit, and I thought the story was a good fit
for the charity dinner.

In college and in Chapel Hill afterwards I mostly drank beer, but
occasionally wine. I didn't really care about wine, just anything
decent. Cab with steak and Chardonnay with fish was about extent of my
knowledge. After I screwed up my life and ended up homeless, wine was
not part of my life (though I knew folks who were fond of I believe
Gallo Ruby Port, in pints).

When I got off streets wine occasionally entered my life again, on
level of before (Cab and steak, etc). Then Easter 1991 I was invited
to a home of a board member of the organization I run. With lamb
dinner, her husband served the 1982 Gloria. He was intent on the wine,
and I found myself drawn in. I never realized how interesting wine
could be. Thus is born a geek.

I've bought a few bottles here and there over years. Seemed like a
good way to share the last one, with a nice group each ponying up $200
or more for the charities (I contributed extra to each of the soup
kitchens,rather than MR, as it seemed a bit self-serving otherwise).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 20, 9:09 am, DaleW > wrote:

> Stony Hill Chardonnay (originally "Pinot Chardonnay")

The only Stony Hill Estate Chardonnay I ever had was the 1991 and 1992
several years ago. Both were rather flat tasting and quite ordinary.
What a let down. I bought them from a reliable store, and there was no
evident damage, but you never know all of the history of just how a
wine was transported and stored. I had tried to get this wine for many
years. The reserve Au Bon Climats from 1991 and 1992 were far superior
and some still are.

> 1976 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkap
> Holy moley! Beautiful gold turning to red color, petrolly nose,
> powerful but at the same time airy/ethereal. Light in mouth, but no
> shortage of flavor. Orange rind, minerals, petrol. Solid A

I have much of a case of the regular 1976 auslese left, and it is much
as you describe for the gold capsule one. I also have a single bottle
of the long gold capsule, which is supposed to be a step up from the
gold capsule. I am in no rush to open it. I also have a few 1/2
bottles of the 1976 BA that I have not tasted yet. I have most of a
case of the 1971 long gold capsule auslese. This is an outstanding
wine, it likely will last for decades more, and it is perfectly
balanced. I have to rate it as better than any J.J. Prum from 1976
that I have tasted yet. My pride and joy is 2 bottles of J.J. Prum
1971 TBA.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 20, 6:28?pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Sep 20, 9:09 am, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > Stony Hill Chardonnay (originally "Pinot Chardonnay")

> The only Stony Hill Estate Chardonnay I ever had was the 1991 and 1992
> several years ago. Both were rather flat tasting and quite ordinary.
> What a let down. I bought them from a reliable store, and there was no
> evident damage, but you never know all of the history of just how a
> wine was transported and stored. I had tried to get this wine for many
> years. The reserve Au Bon Climats from 1991 and 1992 were far superior
> and some still are.
>
> > 1976 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkap
> > Holy moley! Beautiful gold turning to red color, petrolly nose,
> > powerful but at the same time airy/ethereal. Light in mouth, but no
> > shortage of flavor. Orange rind, minerals, petrol. Solid A

> I have much of a case of the regular 1976 auslese left, and it is much
> as you describe for the gold capsule one. I also have a single bottle
> of the long gold capsule, which is supposed to be a step up from the
> gold capsule. I am in no rush to open it. I also have a few 1/2
> bottles of the 1976 BA that I have not tasted yet. I have most of a
> case of the 1971 long gold capsule auslese. This is an outstanding
> wine, it likely will last for decades more, and it is perfectly
> balanced. I have to rate it as better than any J.J. Prum from 1976
> that I have tasted yet. My pride and joy is 2 bottles of J.J. Prum
> 1971 TBA.

I've heard later Stony Hills were less impressive, but the pre-'85
ones have a great rep. Which isn't neccessarily tarnished, as probably
'75 (I'm not most sensitive to TCA) and '78 were corked, and several
others showed heat damage. The better '79 and '81 were a glimpse at
potential

Donor said there was a LGKA in '76, though he hadn't seen (he works at
an auction house, about half crowd was in the business). If it's
better than the regular goldkap....

Actually apparently donor asked that the Prum not be posted on,
because its a very rare wine from his birthyear, and he'd like to
acquire more. But he told someone else, but not me. So I deleted in
web postings (where I can edit), but too late here. Doesn't matter,
none shows on Winesearcher Pro.

Whoa, '71 JJPrum TBA. I'm kinda glad I don't own anything like that,
I'd never get the nerve to drink them! If I poured a glass I'd be
thinking "I could have taken Betsy to Per Se for what this glass is
worth!!!!!"
Please please please post if you open one of those!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 21, 2:04 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 20, 6:28?pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> Donor said there was a LGKA in '76, though he hadn't seen (he works at
> an auction house, about half crowd was in the business). If it's
> better than the regular goldkap....

If I remember correctly, I got my single bottle of 1976 LGKA from a
Chicago Wine Company auction just a few years after it was released.
They only had a few bottles to auction, and I won one. My case of the
1971 LGKA was bought at retail shortly after release. I did not know
of the meaning of a long gold capsule at that time, and the store
where I bought it had it priced the same as the regular auslese - they
did not know much about German wines. I also saw a wine about in the
same class as a Liebfraumilch priced at more than most famous auslesen
in good years - another price mixup in the other direction. The long
gold capsule on both the 1971 and 1976 has a gold band of about 2 1/4
in. wide, with a gold top and very narrow white bands at the very top
and bottom of the capsule. The regular auslese has a wide white band
with very narrow gold bands at the very top and bottom of the capsule.
I do not have a standard gold capsule at hand to compare, but I would
assume that it is much as the LGKA, except the gold band is not as
long.

> Actually apparently donor asked that the Prum not be posted on,
> because its a very rare wine from his birthyear, and he'd like to
> acquire more. But he told someone else, but not me. So I deleted in
> web postings (where I can edit), but too late here. Doesn't matter,
> none shows on Winesearcher Pro.
>
> Whoa, '71 JJPrum TBA. I'm kinda glad I don't own anything like that,
> I'd never get the nerve to drink them! If I poured a glass I'd be
> thinking "I could have taken Betsy to Per Se for what this glass is
> worth!!!!!"

I bought the 1971 TBA on release at a most unusual retail store. The
woman who owned the store owned a clothing store for women. She
purchased a store next door and turned it into a retail liquor and
wine store. She was a fan of old classic wines, and attended many
auctions in the US and sometimes in London. Moreover her husband had a
liquor and wine wholesale company. She sometimes would show some of
her auction jewels in her store, but they were not for sale. If anyone
got a rare wine in the state, she likely would through the connections
she and her husband had. At that time the price was high, but a glass
of it would be much less expensive than dinner at a so-so steak house
without the bar or wine tab. I have no idea what it goes for now, if
it can be found at all, since I no longer keep up with the auctions.

> Please please please post if you open one of those!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 22, 1:46?am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2:04 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > On Sep 20, 6:28?pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> > Donor said there was a LGKA in '76, though he hadn't seen (he works at
> > an auction house, about half crowd was in the business). If it's
> > better than the regular goldkap....

> If I remember correctly, I got my single bottle of 1976 LGKA from a
> Chicago Wine Company auction just a few years after it was released.
> They only had a few bottles to auction, and I won one. My case of the
> 1971 LGKA was bought at retail shortly after release. I did not know
> of the meaning of a long gold capsule at that time, and the store
> where I bought it had it priced the same as the regular auslese - they
> did not know much about German wines. I also saw a wine about in the
> same class as a Liebfraumilch priced at more than most famous auslesen
> in good years - another price mixup in the other direction. The long
> gold capsule on both the 1971 and 1976 has a gold band of about 2 1/4
> in. wide, with a gold top and very narrow white bands at the very top
> and bottom of the capsule. The regular auslese has a wide white band
> with very narrow gold bands at the very top and bottom of the capsule.
> I do not have a standard gold capsule at hand to compare, but I would
> assume that it is much as the LGKA, except the gold band is not as
> long.
>
> > Actually apparently donor asked that the Prum not be posted on,
> > because its a very rare wine from his birthyear, and he'd like to
> > acquire more. But he told someone else, but not me. So I deleted in
> > web postings (where I can edit), but too late here. Doesn't matter,
> > none shows on Winesearcher Pro.

> > Whoa, '71 JJPrum TBA. I'm kinda glad I don't own anything like that,
> > I'd never get the nerve to drink them! If I poured a glass I'd be
> > thinking "I could have taken Betsy to Per Se for what this glass is
> > worth!!!!!"

> I bought the 1971 TBA on release at a most unusual retail store. The
> woman who owned the store owned a clothing store for women. She
> purchased a store next door and turned it into a retail liquor and
> wine store. She was a fan of old classic wines, and attended many
> auctions in the US and sometimes in London. Moreover her husband had a
> liquor and wine wholesale company. She sometimes would show some of
> her auction jewels in her store, but they were not for sale. If anyone
> got a rare wine in the state, she likely would through the connections
> she and her husband had. At that time the price was high, but a glass
> of it would be much less expensive than dinner at a so-so steak house
> without the bar or wine tab. I have no idea what it goes for now, if
> it can be found at all, since I no longer keep up with the auctions.
>

> > Please please please post if you open one of those!!!- Hide quoted text -

Well, '71 probably not something that shows up a lot, but I think JJ
Prum TBAs often bring over $1,000 even in much lesser vintages. The
only place showing the '71 TBAs is Dee Vine, with the Graacher
Himmelreich at $2000, and the WS a bit higher. Would just freak me out
thinking about opening that! Just concentrate on what you paid when
the time comes.

TN: 2 '86 Bdx for friends' anniversary, plus '90 Stony Hill, "13 StAubin, NV Cali bubbles DaleW Wine 0 06-07-2016 09:29 PM
TN: SOBER with Hermitage, Fiorano, Mugnier, Stony Hill, etc DaleW Wine 0 02-10-2015 08:28 PM
Altare Barolo tasting Bi!! Wine 8 17-10-2011 06:53 PM
[TN] '08 Stony Hill Gewurz Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 02-02-2010 04:00 AM
1983 Stony Hill Chard becker Wine 0 26-07-2004 04:55 PM