FoodBanter.com

-   -   Leoville Barton (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/134499-leoville-barton.html)

Ronin[_3_] 08-09-2007 07:55 PM

Leoville Barton

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
and US$165 for the '03.

Jim

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 09-09-2007 01:38 AM

Leoville Barton

In article >, Ronin wrote:

> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
> wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
> and US$165 for the '03.
>
> Jim

Don't know but I liked the 2004 better than the 2003 tasting both. My
notes for the 2003 weren't very good. A bit thin. the 2004 was much
richer.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 09-09-2007 04:02 AM

Leoville Barton

Ronin wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
> wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
> and US$165 for the '03.

The '04 Leoville-Barton has received a lot of praise recently, and is
certainly one of the better wines of the vintage. '03s in general are a
mixed lot, and the pricing has been driven up by the uncritical praise
of Robert Parker, among others. So, while I have had neither bottle, I
would be very surprised if I found the '03 much more appealing than the
'04, but of course your tastes may vary considerably from my own.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 09-09-2007 06:45 PM

Leoville Barton

On Sep 8, 11:02?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Ronin wrote:
> > Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
> > wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
> > and US$165 for the '03.

> The '04Leoville-Bartonhas received a lot of praise recently, and is
> certainly one of the better wines of the vintage. '03s in general are a
> mixed lot, and the pricing has been driven up by the uncritical praise
> of Robert Parker, among others. So, while I have had neither bottle, I
> would be very surprised if I found the '03 much more appealing than the
> '04, but of course your tastes may vary considerably from my own.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I've had both, and would pick the 2003 as the better wine in a
heartbeat. The 2004 is very very good, the 2003 is on its way to
greatness in my opinion. While 2003 isn't my favorite vintage overall,
a few producers in northern Medoc seem to have hit real homeruns. And
the Barton is best I've tasted (not had the Montrose or Cos, both
supposed to be great).

That said, I'd personally prefer 3 2004s to 1 2003.

DaleW 09-09-2007 06:49 PM

Leoville Barton

On Sep 8, 8:38?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article >, Ronin wrote:
> > Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
> > wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
> > and US$165 for the '03.

> > Jim

> Don't know but I liked the 2004 better than the 2003 tasting both. My
> notes for the 2003 weren't very good. A bit thin. the 2004 was much
> richer.

Did you taste the 2003 recently? My guess is its pretty shut down
right now. But at release the ones I had were quite rich/lush.

As an aside, for some reason, this thread doesn't show on google
groups. Something about Ronin's name, which doesn't show up at all
(though I can see it and thread on motzarella). But if I search Google
groups I can see responses. Weird.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 10-09-2007 03:17 PM

Leoville Barton

In article om>,
DaleW > wrote:

> On Sep 8, 8:38?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article >, Ronin wrote:
> > > Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
> > > wine of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04
> > > and US$165 for the '03.

> > > Jim

> > Don't know but I liked the 2004 better than the 2003 tasting both. My
> > notes for the 2003 weren't very good. A bit thin. the 2004 was much
> > richer.

> Did you taste the 2003 recently? My guess is its pretty shut down
> right now. But at release the ones I had were quite rich/lush.
>
> As an aside, for some reason, this thread doesn't show on google
> groups. Something about Ronin's name, which doesn't show up at all
> (though I can see it and thread on motzarella). But if I search Google
> groups I can see responses. Weird.

Have tasted it twice. To me it was more than shut down. I thought the
flavor profile was thin on the '03 to begin with. The second tasting
this year wasn't any better. There was no match to the '04.

Richard Neidich 10-09-2007 09:25 PM

Leoville Barton

Anyone try the 2002 Leoville Barton recently, I received a few bottles as a
gift but have not tried.

Erobertparket says best after 2012 and WS says best after 2007.

Kent 11-09-2007 10:18 AM

Leoville Barton

<Ronin> wrote in message ...
> Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the wine
> of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04 and
> US$165 for the '03.
>
> Jim

Slightly OT, but I can't help it. A recent bottle of 1970 Leoville Barton
was quite wonderful, with a beautiful nose, a wonderful fruity softness, and
without age related problems.

Kent

DaleW 11-09-2007 04:38 PM

Leoville Barton

On Sep 11, 5:18?am, "Kent" > wrote:
> <Ronin> wrote in t...
> > Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the wine
> > of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04 and
> > US$165 for the '03.

> > Jim

> Slightly OT, but I can't help it. A recent bottle of 1970 LeovilleBarton
> was quite wonderful, with a beautiful nose, a wonderful fruity softness, and
> without age related problems.
>
> Kent

I think the better 1970s are drinking just beautifully right now.
Thanks

Kent 13-09-2007 06:10 AM

Leoville Barton

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Sep 11, 5:18?am, "Kent" > wrote:
>> <Ronin> wrote in t...
>> > Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the '03 is three times the
>> > wine
>> > of the '04? They retail in the neighborhood of US$55 for the '04 and
>> > US$165 for the '03.

>> > Jim

>> Slightly OT, but I can't help it. A recent bottle of 1970 LeovilleBarton
>> was quite wonderful, with a beautiful nose, a wonderful fruity softness,
>> and
>> without age related problems.
>>
>> Kent

> I think the better 1970s are drinking just beautifully right now.
> Thanks

How much longer do you think we can hold our 1970's?? Most of those we have
had recently are pretty nice. They do taste "mature", if that's a correct
word.

Kent

DaleW 13-09-2007 09:40 PM

Leoville Barton

On Sep 13, 1:10?am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Sep 11, 5:18?am, "Kent" > wrote:
> >> <Ronin> wrote in t...

> >> Slightly OT, but I can't help it. A recent bottle of1970LeovilleBarton
> >> was quite wonderful, with a beautiful nose, a wonderful fruity softness,
> >> and
> >> without age related problems.

> >> Kent

> > I think the better 1970s are drinking just beautifully right now.
> > Thanks

> How much longer do you think we can hold our1970's?? Most of those we have
> had recently are pretty nice. They do taste "mature", if that's a correct
> word.
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

Correct indeed.

How long? I haven't had any 1970 that wasn't mature (I haven't had
Latour which might still be too young). I have de Pez, Gruaud, and
Figeac; de Pez is only one I'm in hurry on. DDC and Ducru tasted last
week still had decade + of life in them. Leo-Barton and P-Clement are
mature, but I wouldn't hold more than 5 or 6 more years personally.

Of course by 37 there is a lot of bottle variation due to corks and
storage. So others Bartons might be younger (or Ducrus more advanced).
So little help!

[email protected] 17-09-2007 02:16 AM

Leoville Barton

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:25:51 -0400, "Richard Neidich"
> wrote:

>Anyone try the 2002 Leoville Barton recently, I received a few bottles as a
>gift but have not tried.
>
>Erobertparket says best after 2012 and WS says best after 2007.

Two years ago at the Garagiste blind 2002 Bdx tasting, the '02
Leoville Barton finished 6th overall out of 16 wines. It didn't make
my top five.

My brief notes for that tasting say, "very light nose, no oak, closed,
not much flavor, tannic."

There were about 100 people of all stripes tasting the wines. Top five
finishers overall we

1. Pape Clement
2. Mouton Rothschild
3. Latour
4. Osoyoos Larose (a ringer from B.C.)
5. Palmer

My top five:

1. Mouton Rothschild
2. Lynch Bages
3. Pichon Lalande
4. Pape Clement
5. Cheval Blanc just edged out Osoyoos Larose (it was a virtual tie)

JJ