FoodBanter.com

-   -   Your value picks for September (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/134282-your-value-picks-september.html)

DaleW 05-09-2007 11:40 PM

Your value picks for September

Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .

Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
value and feel others should look for.
1) I'd encourage each poster to limit themselves to one post of 5 or
less value wines per month, to keep things from being dominated by a
few.
2) Please just post the wines, with little commentary. This might be
hard on verbose people like myself, but might encourage those who
might otherwise be hesitant (if 7 people posted before you, each with
detailed tasting notes, might not feel as comfortable just posting
your wine). Certainly feel free to start a thread of your tasting
impressions of any wine(s) and be as verbose as you want!
3) No bashing of others' suggestions. Let's try to be supportive as
possible. It's fine to ask questions re wines you're interested in.
4) Please try to be sure that the wines you suggest are reasonably
available (wines available at only at one store, that you bought 4
years ago, or only available at a winery is less valuable as a monthly
resource)
5) There should be a 2 month limit on posting any wine. This will
ensure the list is a bit fresher.

Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!

DaleW 05-09-2007 11:44 PM

On Sep 5, 6:40?pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
> posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .
>
> Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
> value and feel others should look for.
> 1) I'd encourage each poster to limit themselves to one post of 5 or
> less value wines per month, to keep things from being dominated by a
> few.
> 2) Please just post the wines, with little commentary. This might be
> hard on verbose people like myself, but might encourage those who
> might otherwise be hesitant (if 7 people posted before you, each with
> detailed tasting notes, might not feel as comfortable just posting
> your wine). Certainly feel free to start a thread of your tasting
> impressions of any wine(s) and be as verbose as you want!
> 3) No bashing of others' suggestions. Let's try to be supportive as
> possible. It's fine to ask questions re wines you're interested in.
> 4) Please try to be sure that the wines you suggest are reasonably
> available (wines available at only at one store, that you bought 4
> years ago, or only available at a winery is less valuable as a monthly
> resource)
> 5) There should be a 2 month limit on posting any wine. This will
> ensure the list is a bit fresher.
>
> Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!

OK, this one is tough, actually drank a lot of great under $20 (and
under $10) wines lately. I decided as fall approaches to not post
roses (not that I'll stop drinking them!). And I didn't post some
things I got one-time deals on, even if they're good deals at regular
prices.

2006 Berger Gruner Veltliner (Kremstal) $9/Liter (so equivalent to
$6.75 bottle)
2005 Lafond "Roc-Epine" Cotes du Rhone $9
2004 La Casaccia "Casa Poggeto" Grignolino del Monferrato. $10
2001 ESJ Wylie Fenaughty, $16
2005 Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette) "Poncie" Fleurie $17

Richard Neidich 06-09-2007 12:01 AM

Your value picks for September

2001 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett

$19.95 on Sale :-)

Off Dry Riseling...at peak...nice acidity and breathtaking on a hot summer
day!!!

We ate with a chicken that I rotisseried on my new Costco Kirkland
grill....SWEET!!! Also the grill has an oven. see link. I have never
rotisseried before and this was with infared...it was fast and easy!!!
Pretty good to. Bird was an Empire Kosher Chicken from Trader Joes. Not
the cleanest bird and but we handled that.

One other thing...my grill was at store level and also a deal. Under $800 at
store level. Pain to move.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

My new stone patio is complete except the Cedar Pergola that should be
completed on Friday... :-)

oups.com...

Dee Dee 06-09-2007 03:07 AM

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> 2001 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett
>
> $19.95 on Sale :-)
>
> Off Dry Riseling...at peak...nice acidity and breathtaking on a hot summer
> day!!!
>
> We ate with a chicken that I rotisseried on my new Costco Kirkland
> grill....SWEET!!! Also the grill has an oven. see link. I have never
> rotisseried before and this was with infared...it was fast and easy!!!
> Pretty good to. Bird was an Empire Kosher Chicken from Trader Joes. Not
> the cleanest bird and but we handled that.
>
> One other thing...my grill was at store level and also a deal. Under $800
> at store level. Pain to move.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
>

> My new stone patio is complete except the Cedar Pergola that should be
> completed on Friday... :-)

I'm not sure what "store level" means. Whatever, it means, it's beautiful.

When your patio is complete, please send pictures (only if you wish).
Happy grilling,
Dee Dee

Richard Neidich 06-09-2007 12:17 PM

Your value picks for September

Here is a link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dneidich...ey=5EIJFJeSqTM

Friday the Pergola is supposed to be set up. The carpenter has been making
his cuts and edges.

I will republish probably Friday or Saturday when complete.

Where the stone is turned up, those are the corners for the posts for the
Pergola.

My wifes herb garden has a few shots. You can see the Rosemary, the Sage and
a few of the others.

In 3 weeks we overseed and realize we are in middle of extreme drought. The
workers seeded/straw back yard so my dog did not role in mud. When weather
cools we will have grass as we use fescue seed.

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 06-09-2007 03:51 PM

Your value picks for September

In article .com>,
DaleW > wrote:

> Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
> posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .
>
> Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
> value and feel others should look for.
> 1) I'd encourage each poster to limit themselves to one post of 5 or
> less value wines per month, to keep things from being dominated by a
> few.
> 2) Please just post the wines, with little commentary. This might be
> hard on verbose people like myself, but might encourage those who
> might otherwise be hesitant (if 7 people posted before you, each with
> detailed tasting notes, might not feel as comfortable just posting
> your wine). Certainly feel free to start a thread of your tasting
> impressions of any wine(s) and be as verbose as you want!
> 3) No bashing of others' suggestions. Let's try to be supportive as
> possible. It's fine to ask questions re wines you're interested in.
> 4) Please try to be sure that the wines you suggest are reasonably
> available (wines available at only at one store, that you bought 4
> years ago, or only available at a winery is less valuable as a monthly
> resource)
> 5) There should be a 2 month limit on posting any wine. This will
> ensure the list is a bit fresher.
>
> Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!

2005 Altare Dolcetto D¹alba
2005 Chionetti Dolcetto Di Dogliani Briccolero

graham[_1_] 06-09-2007 04:04 PM

Your value picks for September

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
> posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .
>
> Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
> value and feel others should look for.

Tried a 2005 Clos de los Siete for the first time last w/e. Can$18.90
(~US$18).
A Rolland wine from Mendoza. Rich black fruit on the nose but a bit tight
in the mouth. Needs a couple of years perhaps. It disappeared too quickly
to see how it might have opened up given time. Will try again soon under
more relaxed circumstances.

Graham

Bi!! 06-09-2007 06:30 PM

On Sep 5, 6:40?pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
> posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .
>
> Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
> value and feel others should look for.
> 1) I'd encourage each poster to limit themselves to one post of 5 or
> less value wines per month, to keep things from being dominated by a
> few.
> 2) Please just post the wines, with little commentary. This might be
> hard on verbose people like myself, but might encourage those who
> might otherwise be hesitant (if 7 people posted before you, each with
> detailed tasting notes, might not feel as comfortable just posting
> your wine). Certainly feel free to start a thread of your tasting
> impressions of any wine(s) and be as verbose as you want!
> 3) No bashing of others' suggestions. Let's try to be supportive as
> possible. It's fine to ask questions re wines you're interested in.
> 4) Please try to be sure that the wines you suggest are reasonably
> available (wines available at only at one store, that you bought 4
> years ago, or only available at a winery is less valuable as a monthly
> resource)
> 5) There should be a 2 month limit on posting any wine. This will
> ensure the list is a bit fresher.
>
> Looking forward to everyone's suggestions!

2005 Tortoise Creek Pinot Noir $9.00
2005 Pomelo SB $10.00

Zeppo[_1_] 07-09-2007 08:02 PM

Your value picks for September

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> 2001 Egon Muller Scharzhofberger Riesling Kabinett
>
> $19.95 on Sale :-)
>
> Off Dry Riseling...at peak...nice acidity and breathtaking on a hot summer
> day!!!
>
> We ate with a chicken that I rotisseried on my new Costco Kirkland
> grill....SWEET!!! Also the grill has an oven. see link. I have never
> rotisseried before and this was with infared...it was fast and easy!!!
> Pretty good to. Bird was an Empire Kosher Chicken from Trader Joes. Not
> the cleanest bird and but we handled that.
>
> One other thing...my grill was at store level and also a deal. Under $800
> at store level. Pain to move.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1

If anything qualifies for the 'Outdoor Kitchen' moniker, that certainly
does. Very cool!

Empire kosher chickens are all I'll use anymore. They just taste so much
better than any others I've tried.

Jon

Anders Tørneskog 07-09-2007 08:13 PM

Your value picks for September

Vila Santa from Portugal
some 15 USD in Sweden for the 2003, a mysterious 30USD in Norway for the
1997...?
Damned good wine for venison or light game
Anders

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
oups.com...

Zeppo[_1_] 07-09-2007 08:16 PM

Your value picks for September

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oops, once again I let this slip. This is the (supposedly) monthly
> posting formerly entitled "QPR Wines for (fill in the month)" .
>
> Please post up to 5 under $20 wines that you thought were a great
> value and feel others should look for.
> 1) I'd encourage each poster to limit themselves to one post of 5 or
> less value wines per month, to keep things from being dominated by a
> few.

2003 Georges Duboeuf Saint-Veran White Burgundy
2005 Bodegas Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha

Jon

Capt. Courageous[_2_] 21-10-2007 10:53 PM

Your value picks for September

2004/2005 Pepperwod Grove Viognier. A steal at $7 locally in Texas.

oups.com...

Ronin[_5_] 22-10-2007 06:44 PM

Your value picks for September

Canoe Ridge '04 Cab Columbia River Washington ~ $12