Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Pessac and OR Pinot Gris, both good deals

Betsy started rehearsals Tuesday, asked me to take care of dinner. I
picked up some loin lamb chops, but mostly depended on vegetables from
a co-op sha
Chops (broiled in a cast iron pan, it was raining and cold)
mashed potatoes (realized we were out of butter AND cream, used
ricotta)
broccoli
quick Asian pickles
sauteed mushrooms.
The mushrooms tilted me towards Burgundy, but eventually the chops
screamed "Bordeaux" too loudly.

Opened the 2004 Ch. Picque Caillou (Pessac-Leognan). Light but not
fragile or short, a clean red and black currant nose with a little
cedar. Palate is more cassis, with a lead pencil note and some earth
on the finish. Not thrilling or attention-grabbing, but a solid and
classical Graves. .
Best $8.75 Bordeaux I've had in a long while (during a huge April
storm Zachys had a flood in a warehouse that damaged labels on a bunch
of wine, had a special sale. They guaranteed wine, plus I knew it was
cool water-50s during storm. When I went to pick up, they had sold out
of the label-damaged wine, gave me a case of the pristine for $105/cs,
great customer service). They've periodically had it on sale from
$12-18 dollars, it's worth that. B/B+

Wednesday we were planning to go to river to see a jazz ensemble
called the Either/Orchestra (great name), but it got moved inside due
to threat of rain. No desire to sit in community center, so cancelled
our picnic and sauteed some chicken breast (with the salad and cheese
from the intended picnic). Wine was the 2005 Belle Pente Pinot Gris
(Willamette Valley). I've enjoyed BP Pinot Noir before, but this is my
first white. Pretty nice effort, white peach fruit with that sharp
edge that some peaches have (not really underripeness, just a
tanginess). There actually might be a tad of RS here, but finish is
dry and spicy, and this is a nice wine that I'd buy again. As good as
any Alsatian under-$20 PG I remember. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:12:54 -0000
DaleW > wrote:

> Wednesday we were planning to go to river to see a jazz ensemble
> called the Either/Orchestra (great name), but it got moved inside due
> to threat of rain. No desire to sit in community center, so cancelled

Dale, sorry you missed the E/O. It's a fun group led by old friend and
colleague Russ Gershon, a fine player and great arranger. Features some
of Boston's best jazz talent. Might even have livened up the community center!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom