Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Quartzit QbA, Pinot Grigio, old Santenay

Sunday Betsy's sister, niece, and nephew came over, they spent the
afternoon making fresh pasta. Dinner was a Ligurian-styled boiled
lasagna with pesto, we also had grilled shrimp and a caprese salad.
Tomatoes are FINALLY ripening in the home gardens in this cool
summer.

2006 Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio (Venezie IGT)
Good crisp acidity, clean pear fruit accented with a hint of flowers,
a touch of mineral on the rather short finish. I don't tend to find
the Tiefenbrunner wines exciting, but they are usually utilitarian,
and this one fits the mold. B/B-

We were partly celebrating David's birthday, so I also had a minor
birthyear wine on the table:
1988 Francois & Denis Clair " Clos de Tavannes" Santenay 1er Cru
No, I normally don't cellar Santenay till it's 19. I bought this one
for something like $10-15 as a flyer couple years ago,. then never
found an opportunity to open it (as I feared it well past it). So here
was a goods opportunity- right for birthyear, no geeks to disappoint,
not the primary dinner wine, so no downside. A little mute at first,
but picks up a little weight and fruit as it sits. Fruit is red
currants and cherries, and they definitely have a slightly tired edge
to them, There's also a bit of animal funk, gamey without being
overwhelming. I'm sure this would have been much better 5 or 10 years
ago, but a nice lightweight Burg that still hold a little interest. B-

Monday Betsy made a "Chinese Chicken Salad" (chicken, red cabbages,
other vegetables in a peanut sauce) with brown rice, and a side of
kale soup. Wine was the 2004 Hexamer "Quarzit " Meddersheimer
Rheingrafenberg Riesling QbA (Nahe). Nice sprightly body, lime and
peach fruit with a sprinkling of spice, good bright finish with a
note of flint. Clean, cool, and calming. Very nice for level. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

TN: 2 '13 Loire SBs, 1 98 St. Emilion, 1 Pinot Grigio DaleW Wine 0 19-11-2014 03:08 PM
TN: Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio Godzilla Wine 0 10-05-2011 03:33 PM
Pinot Grigio will never be the same aesthete8 Wine 0 13-10-2010 07:12 PM
Pinot Grigio dickr2 Wine 24 24-11-2009 10:45 PM
TN: Lageder 2002 Pinot Grigio Rich R Wine 1 07-07-2004 08:16 AM