Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 roses and a white by the river

Humidity reigned supreme o'er NY yesterday, and we debated whether to
stay in AC or venture to the park for concert. We decided to brave it,
and were glad we did. The performers (Stephanie Nakasian with Hod
O'Brien trio) were excellent, we got to see old friends, and the
breeze kept it from being stifling. We had cheese (Mountaineer from
Virginia), salami, beans, salad, and a 2006 La Bastide Blanche Bandol
rosé. Pretty salmon color,very herby, ok acidity. Strawberries,
cherries, and a hint of mineral. I think something lighter/crisper
would have been better suited for our picnic, but this is a good wine.
Could stand up to heftier food. B/B+

Also sampled:
2006 Domaine de Fenouillet Côtes du Ventoux rosé
Now this is light and crisp for a hot summer evening, but it's also
just a little dilute. Good acidity, crisp strawberry fruit, just short
on the finish. Still, refreshing. B

2003 Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) Cheverny
I was a little worried re this being too flabby based on vintage, but
it actually seemed to have decent acidity. Unfortunately, the bigger
problem was it seemed tired- a bit short, with the grassy notes
blending with some oxidative notes. Pretty sure this is mostly SB, and
I don't care for 90% of aged SB I've tried. Also, no clue as to
storage. But this bottle gets a C/C+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2003 Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) Cheverny
> I was a little worried re this being too flabby based on vintage, but
> it actually seemed to have decent acidity. Unfortunately, the bigger
> problem was it seemed tired- a bit short, with the grassy notes
> blending with some oxidative notes. Pretty sure this is mostly SB, and
> I don't care for 90% of aged SB I've tried. Also, no clue as to
> storage. But this bottle gets a C/C+

Dale, I believe that Cheverny AOC is 100% SB. I could easily be wrong,
though.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Dale, I believe that Cheverny AOC is 100% SB. I could easily be
> wrong, though.

No, it's not. But that was an easy one:

<http://www.inao.gouv.fr/public/produ...comiteNat=1&id
_txt=123>

| Art. 4
|
| [...]
|
| Vins blancs
| 1. Cépage principal :
| Sauvignon, dans une proportion comprise entre 40 [%] et 90 [%]
| de l'encépagement. A partir de la récolte 1997, dans une
| proportion comprise entre 60 [%] et 85 [%] de l'encépagement.
|
| 2. Cépages complémentaires :
| Chardonnay, arbois ou menu pineau, chenin

Note that they don't talk about grape proportions in the finished
wine, but in the vineyards.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay wrote:

> | Vins blancs
> | 1. Cépage principal :
> | Sauvignon, dans une proportion comprise entre 40 [%] et 90 [%]
> | de l'encépagement. A partir de la récolte 1997, dans une
> | proportion comprise entre 60 [%] et 85 [%] de l'encépagement.
> |
> | 2. Cépages complémentaires :
> | Chardonnay, arbois ou menu pineau, chenin
>
> Note that they don't talk about grape proportions in the finished
> wine, but in the vineyards.

Thanks, Michael. I was too lazy to check. Now that you mention it,
though, I do recall reading that Cazin's Cheverny is a
Chardonnay/Sauvignon blend. Thanks for the correction.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Thanks, Michael.

You're welcome!

M.

TN: Roses, Riesling, and Sancerre by the river DaleW Wine 0 05-08-2010 02:01 PM
TN: Brunello, roses, VdP Cab, Chard by the river DaleW Wine 0 01-07-2010 02:11 PM
TN: wines by river, including roses, Cotes Chal., Bdx, QbA, etc DaleW Wine 3 17-07-2009 07:43 PM
Roses Lawrence Leichtman Wine 15 05-07-2005 06:01 PM
Roses & co Orlondow Tea 0 23-02-2004 09:40 PM