Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Medoc 1er Cru Serial Numbers

Wondering if Lafite, Latour, Morton and Margaux bottles carry unique
serial numbers and if there is any way of tracking these online? I
know Roederer have experimented with this system as a means of
establishing provenance but not sure about the first growths... Thanks
in advance.
TK

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 6, 6:46 am, wrote:
> Wondering if Lafite, Latour, Morton and Margaux bottles carry unique
> serial numbers and if there is any way of tracking these online? I
> know Roederer have experimented with this system as a means of
> establishing provenance but not sure about the first growths... Thanks
> in advance.
> TK

A few top Burgandy wines have bottle numbers and sometimes tell how
many bottles were produced. Examples are the wines of the Domaine
Romanee-Conti. They have been doing it a long time.A 1959 La Tache has
both a bottle number and the total bottles produced on the label. Also
Comde Vogue's Musigny Vieilles Vignes 1949 has a bottle number on the
label.

I did not find bottle numbers on any of the Bordeaux I have, including
all of the first growths - not even on Petrus, Ausone, and Yquem. If
any of these use bottle numbers, it would have to have started
recently, as the bottles I checked were older ones.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 6, 6:46 am, wrote:
>> Wondering if Lafite, Latour, Morton and Margaux bottles carry unique
>> serial numbers and if there is any way of tracking these online? I
>> know Roederer have experimented with this system as a means of
>> establishing provenance but not sure about the first growths... Thanks
>> in advance.
>> TK

> A few top Burgandy wines have bottle numbers and sometimes tell how
> many bottles were produced. Examples are the wines of the Domaine
> Romanee-Conti. They have been doing it a long time.A 1959 La Tache has
> both a bottle number and the total bottles produced on the label. Also
> Comde Vogue's Musigny Vieilles Vignes 1949 has a bottle number on the
> label.
>
> I did not find bottle numbers on any of the Bordeaux I have, including
> all of the first growths - not even on Petrus, Ausone, and Yquem. If
> any of these use bottle numbers, it would have to have started
> recently, as the bottles I checked were older ones.

Neither Petrus, nor Ausone, & Yquem are "first growths".

Kent

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 9, 3:02�am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > On Aug 6, 6:46 am, wrote:
> >> Wondering if Lafite, Latour, Morton and Margaux bottles carry unique
> >> serial numbers and if there is any way of tracking these online? I
> >> know Roederer have experimented with this system as a means of
> >> establishing provenance but not sure about the first growths... Thanks
> >> in advance.
> >> TK

> > A few top Burgandy wines have bottle numbers and sometimes tell how
> > many bottles were produced. Examples are the wines of the Domaine
> > Romanee-Conti. They have been doing it a long time.A 1959 La Tache has
> > both a bottle number and the total bottles produced on the label. Also
> > Comde Vogue's Musigny Vieilles Vignes 1949 has a bottle number on the
> > label.

> > I did not find bottle numbers on any of the Bordeaux I have, including
> > all of the first growths - not even on Petrus, Ausone, and Yquem. If
> > any of these use bottle numbers, it would have to have started
> > recently, as the bottles I checked were older ones.

> Neither Petrus, nor Ausone, & �Yquem are "first growths".
>
> Kent- Hide quoted text -

While none of these are Medoc First Growths (and cwdjr didn't claim
they were), both Yquem and Ausone are First Growths in their
classifications. Yquem is the sole Premier Cru Sup�rieur in the
Sauternes/Barsac classification, Cheval Blanc and Ausone are Premiers
Grands Crus Class� A.

The 5 Medoc 1st along with Petrus, Cheval Blanc,. and Ausone make up
the traditional "Big 8." I believe that cwdjr was just pointing out
that Petrus. Yquem and Ausone don't have serial numbers, though they
are made in much smaller quantities than the Medoc 1st and are even
more collectible (and therefore forgery-worthy).

Posted to alt.food.wine

To the best that I can tell - 1995 Krug has laser inscribed serial
numbers near the base of the bottle. Since that is inscribed in the
glass, it is even harder to counterfeit. I heard rumors that other
red wines will be going the same route.

I think coffee does turn people into serial killers!!!! Victor Smootbank Coffee 0 10-11-2007 11:08 PM
Serial poopers hit Toledo Restaurants. D Hammer Restaurants 0 18-08-2006 02:37 AM
Serial ham Curly Sue General Cooking 22 15-12-2005 12:16 AM
Serial Killer DOs and DON'Ts Joel M. Eichen General Cooking 0 15-03-2005 01:47 PM
Emil Hansen - serial dilution techniques - RFI Wcsjohn Sourdough 10 29-06-2004 06:53 PM