Posted to alt.food.wine

Default More Vouvray

I returned to the scene of the gastronomic crime and dined on
Patagonian Toothfish accompanied by Vouvray. All present are now
informed that it isn't any sort of a sea bass and will never look at
it in quite the same way again. We now feel much less guilt as we are
consumming some sort of vicious carnivore of the deep rather than a
passive fat pescadore. The sense of adventure was palpable.

The two Vouvray's we tried were both 2005. One was a revisitation of
the very peach predominant wine I mentioned in the first post. It was
from Pierre Chainier. And works very well as a pairing with the fish.

The second was from Monmousseau and was much more traditional in terms
of a Chenin Blanc profile--bright white, crisp, clear, floral and less
sweet than the P Chainier.

Both were excellent summer wines.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:46:22 GMT
Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> I returned to the scene of the gastronomic crime and dined on
> Patagonian Toothfish accompanied by Vouvray. All present are now
> informed that it isn't any sort of a sea bass and will never look at
> it in quite the same way again. We now feel much less guilt as we are
> consumming some sort of vicious carnivore of the deep rather than a
> passive fat pescadore. The sense of adventure was palpable.
>
> The two Vouvray's we tried were both 2005. One was a revisitation of
> the very peach predominant wine I mentioned in the first post. It was
> from Pierre Chainier. And works very well as a pairing with the fish.
>
> The second was from Monmousseau and was much more traditional in terms
> of a Chenin Blanc profile--bright white, crisp, clear, floral and less
> sweet than the P Chainier.
>
> Both were excellent summer wines.

Hi Ed,

Glad you survived the encounter with the Toothfish. Vouvray tends to vary
in sweetness according to the year. Sometimes bottles are labelled "tendre"
or "demi-sec", (or of course moelleux) but not always; so it can be a little
bit of an adventure.

Also a source of some of the finest bubbles.

2005 was a very good year in the Loire generally, and though I haven't tasted
any Vouvray of the vintage I will expect it to be very good.

cheers,

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 30, 8:46?am, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> I returned to the scene of the gastronomic crime and dined on
> Patagonian Toothfish accompanied by Vouvray. All present are now
> informed that it isn't any sort of a sea bass and will never look at
> it in quite the same way again. We now feel much less guilt as we are
> consumming some sort of vicious carnivore of the deep rather than a
> passive fat pescadore. The sense of adventure was palpable.
>
> The two Vouvray's we tried were both 2005. One was a revisitation of
> the very peach predominant wine I mentioned in the first post. It was
> from Pierre Chainier. And works very well as a pairing with the fish.
>
> The second was from Monmousseau and was much more traditional in terms
> of a Chenin Blanc profile--bright white, crisp, clear, floral and less
> sweet than the P Chainier.
>
> Both were excellent summer wines.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

thanks for the notes.
By the way, I'm also happy to be on top of foodchain. I am a voracious
consumer of meats and fish, from game to foie gras. But I do try to
limit my consumption of fish that are overfished and in danger. It's
simply the common sense approach of a responsible top-of-chainer if
one wishes to continue to enjoy those fish. In the interest of full
disclosure, I wear Tevas rather than Birkenstocks, but I put in CFLs
wait before it became fashionable, recyle, and compost, so I'm sure my
opinions are irrelevant.

Vouvray Joseph Coulter[_8_] Wine 0 26-07-2009 10:11 PM
[TN] '05 Chidaine Vouvray Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 24 13-05-2008 05:10 AM
WTN: Bdx, CalChard, Vouvray DaleW Wine 3 05-02-2008 02:59 PM
Vouvray Ed Rasimus Wine 18 01-08-2007 06:40 PM
[TN] Vouvray Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 12 11-10-2006 08:42 PM