Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Terrine Event #4

For those that haven't come across notes of these terrine events
before, a few words of introduction.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to create a wine and food
event to be held in my garden. I wanted the ease created by a potluck
rather than having the host prepare everything. I wanted a theme dish
or type of dish that could preferably be prepared mostly ahead of
time, and I wanted something with enough variability and scope to
allow people to experiment with ingredients and wine matching.

I ended up choosing the general theme of terrines, and made it clear
to all that allied dishes like galantines, ptés and ballotines were
more than welcome within the theme. I have a hard core group of 12
people that prepare 6 terrines to make a meal, and it has worked out
better than I'd ever have hoped.

This year, for the first time, some unseasonably inclement weather
relegated us to the dining room rather than the garden, although that
did save on travel time between kitchen and table. We started off
with a seafood terrine made with an avocado and shrimp centre, a
halibut based outer, wrapped with smoked salmon and garnished with
cucumber, green wasabi caviar and a shrimp. I took a picture of the
whole terrine as the owner wanted to document it in case it fell apart
when he went to serve it!

2002 La Chablisienne Chablis Prem. Cru Cote de Lechat - clean stony
nose, light and well balanced and it worked very well with the food.
Picked up some additional complexity as it warmed a little.
Next up was a vegetable and foie gras terrine, offered with a dry
white and a couple of half bottles of Barsac.

1998 Pascal Jolibert Pouilly Fumé La Grande Cuvée - good fruit and
minerality in the nose, full in mid-palate and a nice long peach
tinged finish.

1988 Ch. Doisy Daene Barsac - slightly the lightest colour of the two,
with a botrytis nose nicely coupled with a floral note. Not too sweet,
long and well defined - the better wine of the two.

1988 Ch. Coutet Barsac - bit darker with a sweeter nose and more
weight in mid palate but lower acid made it a less bright wine than
the Doisy and a tad clumsy.

A very pretty mushroom terrine was up next, incorporating several
different mushrooms and garnished with Phyllo covered Boursin cheese.
It had replaced (at the last minute) the avocado terrine that had
defied three attempts to produce anything other than guacamole.

2004 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc - Roussanne 65%, Grenache
Blanc 30% and Picpoul 5% (unusual that last one). Good white Rhone
nose, full flavoured and mellow.

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Gary's Vineyard - medium colour for a
Californian PN, excellent nose, more Burgundian (although sweeter
fruit than a Burg would have) than the Arcadian also brought by the
next person. Sweet entry, good acidity and length and a sweet finish
as well. I thought this wine went better with food than the next
Arcadian.

The next dish was a rabbit with pistachios and olives.

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - a lighter colour
and higher acid distinguished this wine as well as a less Burgundian
more fruit driven nose. It was a little sweeter and less earthy than
the Gary's and didn't work quite as well with food.

1999 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs Pimont - the stand out among the
Pinots with excellent Burgundian nose of cherry and a hint of
blackberry, clean and silky with nice acidity at the end. Great food
wine and an excellent value.

Next up was an eggplant and lamb terrine with a tomato based sauce:

2003 Jaboulet Chevalier de Sterimberg Hermitage Blanc - I must say
that this wine was one of the real stand outs of the evening. Best I
could find out was that they use Roussanne and Marsanne in
approximately equal amounts. It had a lovely waxy nose of cashew and
honey, a nice oily mouth feel, and despite reports of this vintage,
entirely adequate levels of acidity. Best match!

1998 Dom. du Caillou Chateauneuf du Pape - I am surprised we don't see
more of Bruno Gaspards work - these wines can be delightful and I was
myself delighted to later check my cellar list and see that I had a
full case (somewhere!) unopened. (as well as a little of the Le Clos
reserve wine). Excellent funky Rhone nose quite sweet in the mouth,
but with tons of offsetting acidity. A big, dark, very good wine that
there is no hurry to drink (or in my case, find).

My course was last - a terrine made of strips of ham and chicken
breast rolled in herbs in a forcemeat of veal, chicken, ham, Armagnac
and cream. The accompaniment was pickled grapes (I used Jalapeno as an
ingredient and was trying to remember not to rub my eyes for the rest
of the day!)

The background is different as I wanted to present my wines blind and
I couldn't quite trust the crew not to peek, so I took the picture in
the kitchen.

2000 Montes Alpha Syrah - this wine always shows mint, yet it
definitely doesn't come across as Australian so it is a good ringer.
It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn't
really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the
following wine.

2003 Renard Syrah Truchard Vineyard - right away the white pepper in
the nose was heading people to the old world, and cassis didn't give
this Napa wine away as New World. Fairly big wine, long finish and
amazingly Rhonish for a Napa wine, and the best match with food.

We had now finished the main event and decided to have a bit of cheese
and of course also needed wine to go with it, so we took one person's
back-up and I headed for the cellar for a second wine.

1995 Biondi Santi Schidione - an IGT with cab and merlot mixed in with
the sangiovese gave a wine with decent fruit in the nose, and lots of
clean acidity. Interesting but not paradigm altering.

1990 Lungarotti San Giorgio - tar and currant and some tomato in the
nose, medium body, smooth ending with little tannin but clean acid.
Time to drink.

A short duiscussion revealed that the attendees in no way felt that we
have exhausted this theme and there will therefore be a T5 in 2008!

Posted to alt.food.wine

PS - if you want to see photos, go to

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/...pic.php?t=9705

Posted to alt.food.wine

HI Bill, you are much older than I had expected :-)

That looks very good. Nice garden. This year I am having my deck removed
and doing a Flagstone and mortered patio put in. It will have areas for a
Pergola, my wifes herb garden, contain hopefully a water pond and perhaps a
fire pit.

When done I might have to do a similar event here and share the pics. Right
now I am embarassed that my back area with deck looks so bad.

"Bill S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> PS - if you want to see photos, go to
>
> http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/...pic.php?t=9705

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bill S." > wrote in news:1185127339.812491.231510
@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> 2000 Montes Alpha Syrah - this wine always shows mint, yet it
> definitely doesn't come across as Australian so it is a good ringer.
> It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn't
> really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the
> following wine.

I am not sure what you were trying to say here. The wine is , of course
Chilean, were your trying to throw the guesses off with a Syrah that wasn't
OZ?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 12:24 pm, Joseph Coulter <yourDROPTHIS2comcast.net> wrote:
> "Bill S." > wrote in news:1185127339.812491.231510
> @x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > 2000 Montes Alpha Syrah - this wine always shows mint, yet it
> > definitely doesn't come across as Australian so it is a good ringer.
> > It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn't
> > really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the
> > following wine.

> I am not sure what you were trying to say here. The wine is , of course
> Chilean, were your trying to throw the guesses off with a Syrah that wasn't
> OZ?

This wine makes a good ringer because it has the weight and style of a
Rhone - definitely not Californian or Australian weight nor
concentration/sweetness, yet it does have that one clue that might
point you to Oz.

One taster asked if it might be South African, and I thought that was
a very good guess.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bill S." > skrev i melding
ups.com...
> On Jul 22, 12:24 pm, Joseph Coulter <yourDROPTHIS2comcast.net> wrote:
>> "Bill S." > wrote in news:1185127339.812491.231510
>> @x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > 2000 Montes Alpha Syrah - this wine always shows mint, yet it
>> > definitely doesn't come across as Australian so it is a good ringer.
>> > It has some sweetness on entry but not much in the mouth and wasn't
>> > really varietally correct in terms of nose and profile, unlike the
>> > following wine.

Hi Bill,
I too do have problems with the above :-)
This wine is from CHILE.
:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 7:02 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:

This year, for the first time, some unseasonably inclement weather
relegated us to the dining room rather than the garden, although that
did save on travel time between kitchen and table. We started off
with a seafood terrine made with an avocado and shrimp centre, a
halibut based outer, wrapped with smoked salmon and garnished with
cucumber, green wasabi caviar and a shrimp. I took a picture of the
whole terrine as the owner wanted to document it in case it fell
apart
when he went to serve it!

That is outstanding, I will certainly serve that at a dinner party I
am hosting in France. I would serve that with a Pouilly Fume or
Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, can you suggest anything that would
enhance it more than that?

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 7:31 pm, "Richard Neidich" > wrote:

> When done I might have to do a similar event here and share the pics. Right
> now I am embarassed that my back area with deck looks so bad.

Can I come please:-)

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 2:37 pm, "
> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 7:02 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
>
> This year, for the first time, some unseasonably inclement weather
> relegated us to the dining room rather than the garden, although that
> did save on travel time between kitchen and table. We started off
> with a seafood terrine made with an avocado and shrimp centre, a
> halibut based outer, wrapped with smoked salmon and garnished with
> cucumber, green wasabi caviar and a shrimp. I took a picture of the
> whole terrine as the owner wanted to document it in case it fell
> apart
> when he went to serve it!
>
> That is outstanding, I will certainly serve that at a dinner party I
> am hosting in France. I would serve that with a Pouilly Fume or
> Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, can you suggest anything that would
> enhance it more than that?

His Chablis worked very well, as would your suggestions or a Sancerre.

I wonder how a nice Kabinet level Riesling would work with it. And
I'd bet an aged Savennierres would be wonderful too.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 10:54 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:

> His Chablis worked very well, as would your suggestions or a Sancerre.
>
> I wonder how a nice Kabinet level Riesling would work with it. And
> I'd bet an aged Savennierres would be wonderful too.- Hide quoted text -

I bow to your expert knowledge, I am a mere novice here and learning,
thank you. The Riesling is one I know, the Savennierres, I know
nothing about, but I am about to look it up.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 10:54 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
And
> I'd bet an aged Savennierres would be wonderful too.- Hide quoted text -

Bill, I looked on the website of the Chateau and there are several
Savennierres. I sent an email to enquire where I may purchase these
either in England or in France where I have a home. When I clicked on
price, it went into a French site and did not mention it???

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 3:40 pm, "
> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 10:54 pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> And> I'd bet an aged Savennierres would be wonderful too.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Bill, I looked on the website of the Chateau and there are several
> Savennierres.

There are a number of good ones, but they are for the patient. They
are Chenin Blanc based wines and are often highly acidic - biting
even, when young. It usually talks 5 - 7 years for them to tone down
and smooth out. There are other wines similar to this - Cloudy Bay
sauv blanc is one I leave alone for 1-2 years to meld together and
lose some acidity.

Of the Savennierres, I enjoy Closel.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 4:10 am, "Bill S." > wrote:

> Of the Savennierres, I enjoy Closel.

I had a charming, person reply to my email to Closel with details of
their wines which I have copied and pasted below, which of these would
you recommend to a novice of their wine?

Ce sont des vins pour tous les jours qui ont la qualité des bons
produits, de la cuisine
du marché, des vins aux sens naturels et originaux.
Pour une quantité de: 3 litres 10 litres Quantité Prix
Total
Fleur de vigne, Savennières AOC 2005 (Bag In Box) 27 86
Petits fruits rouges d'Anjou, Anjou AOC 2005 (Bag In Box) 12 35
Pour une quantité de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantité Prix
Total
La Jalousie, Savennières AOC 2001 (75 cl) 10,80 9,90 9 8,55
La Jalousie, Savennières AOC 2005 (75 cl) 11,70 10,73 9,75 9.25
Anjou Rouge, Anjou AOC 2005 (75 cl) 6.95 6.35 5.80 5.50
LA PLENITUDE D'UNE VIE GENEREUSE
Ce sont des vins ronds, gourmands , flamboyants, magnanimes, pour la
bonne
cuisine du terroir, des vins aux sens généreux.
Pour une quantité de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantité Prix
Total
La Tentation, rosé Cabernet d'Anjou AOC (75 cl) 14.40 13,20 12 11,40
Anjou Villages AOC 2000 (Magnum 1,5 l) 20,40 18,70 17 16,50
Anjou Villages AOC 2003 (75 cl) 10,80 9.90 9 8,55
Les Caillardières, Savennières AOC 2003 (75 cl) 14,40 13,20 12 11,40
LE CHIC DE L'EXTRAVAGANCE SOPHISTIQUEE
Ce sont des vins pour les grands moments, fins, chics, raffinés, avec
une très belle
longueur en bouche, des vins aux sens sophistiqués
Pour une quantité de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantité Prix
Total
Clos du Papillon, Savennières AOC 2000 (Magnum 1,5 l) 31,20 28,60 26
24,70
Clos du Papillon, Savennières AOC 2005 (75 cl) 20,40 18,70 17 16,15
Les Coteaux, Savennières AOC 2002 (moëlleux) (75 cl) 18,60 17,05 15,50
14,73
Clos du Papillon, Savennières AOC 2003 (moëlleux) (75 cl) 18 16,50 15
14,25
Clos du Papillon, Savennières AOC 2003 (37,5 cl) 12 11 10 9,50

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:52:30 -0700
" > wrote:

> On Jul 23, 4:10 am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> >
> > Of the Savennierres, I enjoy Closel.

> I had a charming, person reply to my email to Closel with details of
> their wines which I have copied and pasted below, which of these would
> you recommend to a novice of their wine?
>
> Ce sont des vins pour tous les jours qui ont la qualit_ des bons
> produits, de la cuisine
> du march_, des vins aux sens naturels et originaux.
> Pour une quantit_ de: 3 litres 10 litres Quantit_ Prix
> Total
> Fleur de vigne, Savenni_res AOC 2005 (Bag In Box) 27 86
> Petits fruits rouges d'Anjou, Anjou AOC 2005 (Bag In Box) 12 35
> Pour une quantit_ de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantit_ Prix
> Total
> La Jalousie, Savenni_res AOC 2001 (75 cl) 10,80 9,90 9 8,55
> La Jalousie, Savenni_res AOC 2005 (75 cl) 11,70 10,73 9,75 9.25
> Anjou Rouge, Anjou AOC 2005 (75 cl) 6.95 6.35 5.80 5.50
> LA PLENITUDE D'UNE VIE GENEREUSE
> Ce sont des vins ronds, gourmands , flamboyants, magnanimes, pour la
> bonne
> cuisine du terroir, des vins aux sens g_n_reux.
> Pour une quantit_ de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantit_ Prix
> Total
> La Tentation, ros_ Cabernet d'Anjou AOC (75 cl) 14.40 13,20 12 11,40
> Anjou Villages AOC 2000 (Magnum 1,5 l) 20,40 18,70 17 16,50
> Anjou Villages AOC 2003 (75 cl) 10,80 9.90 9 8,55
> Les Caillardi_res, Savenni_res AOC 2003 (75 cl) 14,40 13,20 12 11,40
> LE CHIC DE L'EXTRAVAGANCE SOPHISTIQUEE
> Ce sont des vins pour les grands moments, fins, chics, raffin_s, avec
> une tr_s belle
> longueur en bouche, des vins aux sens sophistiqu_s
> Pour une quantit_ de: 3 bt 6 bt 12 bt 24 bt Quantit_ Prix
> Total
> Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2000 (Magnum 1,5 l) 31,20 28,60 26
> 24,70
> Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2005 (75 cl) 20,40 18,70 17 16,15
> Les Coteaux, Savenni_res AOC 2002 (mo_lleux) (75 cl) 18,60 17,05 15,50
> 14,73
> Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2003 (mo_lleux) (75 cl) 18 16,50 15
> 14,25
> Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2003 (37,5 cl) 12 11 10 9,50

Hi Judith, (and Bill: glad no one stepped on those little maples. One advantage
of being chased in doors!)

I don't know Closel, so I won't comment on the quality. But some of the prices are
absurd. No one on my planet pays over 10 EU for a Cabernet d'Anjou! Or
even over 5. And that's for good juice. The Anjou Villages looks
about 2X what it ought to cost, I don't care how good it is.

I don't have a real problem with the Savennières pricing, but it's right up there
with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.

IIRC Ogereau is very good, at a fair price.

Do bear in mind Savennières is often searingly acidic young. 2005 will be a
good year, but not for the impatient.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 4:41 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 07:52:30 -0700

!)

> I don't know Closel, so I won't comment on the quality. But some of the prices are
> absurd. No one on my planet pays over 10 EU for a Cabernet d'Anjou! Or
> even over 5. And that's for good juice. The Anjou Villages looks
> about 2X what it ought to cost, I don't care how good it is.

I thought along those lines for Anjou.

> I don't have a real problem with the Savennières pricing, but it's right up there
> with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.

Don't forget there is also the TVA to be added on. The prices are
actually for delivery to our house in France (carriage extra of
course).

> Do bear in mind Savennières is often searingly acidic young. 2005 will be a
> good year, but not for the impatient.

I can do patient The export their wines to Waitrose in England so I
am going to contact them to see what they have.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 4:41 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> I don't have a real problem with the Savennières pricing, but it's right up there
> with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.

Following on, I have just taken at look at the web site for Waitrose
and they have Savennières 2005 priced at a few pence under £10 per
bottle, what do you think of this?

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:29:00 -0700
" > wrote:

> On Jul 23, 4:41 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> > I don't have a real problem with the Savenni_res pricing, but it's right up there
> > with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.

> Following on, I have just taken at look at the web site for Waitrose
> and they have Savenni_res 2005 priced at a few pence under _10 per
> bottle, what do you think of this?

Judith,

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but Savennières is an appellation,
not a wine.

Without knowing the producer, I can't comment, anymore than I can say
that 10 quid is fair for a bottle of Bordeaux. Maybe, maybe not!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies
Questions about wine? Visit
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 5:54 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:29:00 -0700
>
> " > wrote:
> > On Jul 23, 4:41 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> > > I don't have a real problem with the Savenni_res pricing, but it's right up there
> > > with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.

> > Following on, I have just taken at look at the web site for Waitrose
> > and they have Savenni_res 2005 priced at a few pence under _10 per
> > bottle, what do you think of this?

> Judith,
>
> Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but Savennières is an appellation,
> not a wine.
>
> Without knowing the producer, I can't comment, anymore than I can say
> that 10 quid is fair for a bottle of Bordeaux. Maybe, maybe not!
>
> -E

Thanks Emerys, I will go back to the site and have a look at the
producer.

Judith

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 11:41?am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> [...]

> > 14,73
> > Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2003 (mo_lleux) (75 cl) 18 16,50 15
> > 14,25
> > Clos du Papillon, Savenni_res AOC 2003 (37,5 cl) 12 11 10 9,50

> Hi Judith, (and Bill: glad no one stepped on those little maples. One advantage
> of being chased in doors!)
>
> I don't know Closel, so I won't comment on the quality. But some of the prices are
> absurd. No one on my planet pays over 10 EU for a Cabernet d'Anjou! Or
> even over 5. And that's for good juice. The Anjou Villages looks
> about 2X what it ought to cost, I don't care how good it is.
>
> I don't have a real problem with the Savenni res pricing, but it's right up there
> with Joly. Looks like priced for export outre-pond, to me.
>
> IIRC Ogereau is very good, at a fair price.
>
> Do bear in mind Savenni res is often searingly acidic young. 2005 will be a

Don't know the red Closels. But the La Jalousie and Clos du Papillon
are really great Savennieres (I MUCH prefer to Joly! though the prices
here are much less than Joly's Coulee des Serrant). I gladly pay
between $15 & 25 for these. The Caillardieres I only had once, an off-
dry Savennieres, didn't really rock my world. I've heard the Moulleaux
one is great, never had.

If you're looking for less expensive Savennieres a couple producers t
try might be Epire and Laffourcade. Not to level of Closel (or Baumard
for that matter), but usually typical and good value. Of course, Emery
is closer and might have more ideas- I'm basing on what makes to US.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 9:11 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:41?am, Emery Davis > wrote:
>

> > If you're looking for less expensive Savennieres a couple producers t

> try might be Epire and Laffourcade. Not to level of Closel (or Baumard
> for that matter), but usually typical and good value. Of course, Emery
> is closer and might have more ideas- I'm basing on what makes to US.- Hide quoted text -

I don't mind paying for what I enjoy so I am going to try Closel,
thanks for the ino, I really am a complete novice.

Judith

Terrine Event #8 2011 Bill S. Wine 2 02-08-2011 03:41 PM
2000 Terrine Event Notes (T-6) Bill S. Wine 1 02-08-2009 11:02 PM
2008 Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 04-08-2008 04:00 PM
3rd Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 06-08-2006 06:15 PM
T2 - The second Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 14-08-2005 07:10 PM