Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '97 Ridge Montebello

I opened my first bottle from a case of Ridge Montebello that I bought
on release (actually 2- six packs in owc) last night. Much as I
expected they are nowhere near ready to drink. The color was opaque
purple with no signs of age. The nose was tight and minerally with a
bit of cassis. It was quite tight on the palate showing deep grapey
flavors, a rocky minerality and stiff almost unpleasant tannins.
WHile it had thrown off a bit of sediment I was surprised at how
little compared to other '97's from California. I will wait at least
another five years before openeing another bottle. Can't really grade
it since I have no idea where it's at or where it's going but I hope
it's not another '85 Dunn Howell Mountain.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
Bi!! > wrote:

> I opened my first bottle from a case of Ridge Montebello that I bought
> on release (actually 2- six packs in owc) last night. Much as I
> expected they are nowhere near ready to drink. The color was opaque
> purple with no signs of age. The nose was tight and minerally with a
> bit of cassis. It was quite tight on the palate showing deep grapey
> flavors, a rocky minerality and stiff almost unpleasant tannins.
> WHile it had thrown off a bit of sediment I was surprised at how
> little compared to other '97's from California. I will wait at least
> another five years before openeing another bottle. Can't really grade
> it since I have no idea where it's at or where it's going but I hope
> it's not another '85 Dunn Howell Mountain.

Actually, the Dunn should just be getting good right now.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:
> I opened my first bottle from a case of Ridge Montebello that I bought
> on release (actually 2- six packs in owc) last night. Much as I
> expected they are nowhere near ready to drink. The color was opaque
> purple with no signs of age. The nose was tight and minerally with a
> bit of cassis. It was quite tight on the palate showing deep grapey
> flavors, a rocky minerality and stiff almost unpleasant tannins.
> WHile it had thrown off a bit of sediment I was surprised at how
> little compared to other '97's from California. I will wait at least
> another five years before openeing another bottle. Can't really grade
> it since I have no idea where it's at or where it's going but I hope
> it's not another '85 Dunn Howell Mountain.

Thanks for the note, Bill. I have but a single bottle of this, which I
plan on opening for my 80th birthday (only partly kidding here). In my
db notes, I see that Parker says to keep your hands off of it for
another five years, and that it'll last another 25 beyond that. And
what's your beef with the '85 Dunn HM? That you're mortal? ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 28, 11:33?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > I opened my first bottle from a case of Ridge Montebello that I bought
> > on release (actually 2- six packs in owc) last night. Much as I
> > expected they are nowhere near ready to drink. The color was opaque
> > purple with no signs of age. The nose was tight and minerally with a
> > bit of cassis. It was quite tight on the palate showing deep grapey
> > flavors, a rocky minerality and stiff almost unpleasant tannins.
> > WHile it had thrown off a bit of sediment I was surprised at how
> > little compared to other '97's from California. I will wait at least
> > another five years before openeing another bottle. Can't really grade
> > it since I have no idea where it's at or where it's going but I hope
> > it's not another '85 Dunn Howell Mountain.

> Thanks for the note, Bill. I have but a single bottle of this, which I
> plan on opening for my 80th birthday (only partly kidding here). In my
> db notes, I see that Parker says to keep your hands off of it for
> another five years, and that it'll last another 25 beyond that. And
> what's your beef with the '85 Dunn HM? That you're mortal? ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I still have three bottles of 1985 Dunn HM left in my cellar from a
case that I bought on release. I opened a bottle last year and found
the wine to still possess massive tannins and almost undrinkable it
was so tannic. The fruit is still there and even after extended
opening and decanting the most prevelant aspect of the wine is the
tannins. They're not green nor are they harsh....just too much tannin
that never seems to resolve or soften. FWIW, this still seems to be
the house style at Dunn for the HM. More recent vintages seem to be a
bit more approachable yet still loaded with tannin.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .com>,
Bi!! > wrote:

> On Jul 28, 11:33?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Bi!! wrote:
> > > I opened my first bottle from a case of Ridge Montebello that I bought
> > > on release (actually 2- six packs in owc) last night. Much as I
> > > expected they are nowhere near ready to drink. The color was opaque
> > > purple with no signs of age. The nose was tight and minerally with a
> > > bit of cassis. It was quite tight on the palate showing deep grapey
> > > flavors, a rocky minerality and stiff almost unpleasant tannins.
> > > WHile it had thrown off a bit of sediment I was surprised at how
> > > little compared to other '97's from California. I will wait at least
> > > another five years before openeing another bottle. Can't really grade
> > > it since I have no idea where it's at or where it's going but I hope
> > > it's not another '85 Dunn Howell Mountain.

> > Thanks for the note, Bill. I have but a single bottle of this, which I
> > plan on opening for my 80th birthday (only partly kidding here). In my
> > db notes, I see that Parker says to keep your hands off of it for
> > another five years, and that it'll last another 25 beyond that. And
> > what's your beef with the '85 Dunn HM? That you're mortal? ;-)
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> >
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> I still have three bottles of 1985 Dunn HM left in my cellar from a
> case that I bought on release. I opened a bottle last year and found
> the wine to still possess massive tannins and almost undrinkable it
> was so tannic. The fruit is still there and even after extended
> opening and decanting the most prevelant aspect of the wine is the
> tannins. They're not green nor are they harsh....just too much tannin
> that never seems to resolve or soften. FWIW, this still seems to be
> the house style at Dunn for the HM. More recent vintages seem to be a
> bit more approachable yet still loaded with tannin.

I agree, but because of that I am off buying any more Dunn as they
rarely seem to resolve to my satisfaction. Some of the late 90's wines
are a bit more approachable but at the price they should be wonderful
not approachable.

TN Ridge Montebello 1990 cwdjrxyz Wine 8 22-04-2008 04:45 PM
1991 Ridge Montebello, 1982 Gruaud Larose, etc Bi!! Wine 1 17-12-2007 12:12 AM
if I like Ridge, what else will I like? bt Wine 7 09-04-2006 01:58 AM
TN: Pine Ridge Stag's Leap District CS and Ridge Pagani Ed Rasimus Wine 3 28-10-2003 02:15 PM
TN on Two New from Ridge Ed Rasimus Wine 1 04-10-2003 06:41 PM