Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Barrel tastings at Mugnier and Jadot

We only had one full day in Burgundy. I didn't want to overload Betsy and
David with wine visits. I just scheduled one for the morning, and one in
afternoon. Which was a good thing as both of our hosts did extensive and
informative presentations.

We started in the morning at Jadot (thanks to Cathleen Burke at Kobrand for
arranging). Marc Dupin the export manager was a great hosts, explaining in
detail the basic geology of Burgundy, Jadot's philosophy, their commitment
to terroir, and the physical processes of vinification and elevage. The
fairly new Jadot facility in Beaune on the road to Savigny is a marvel. He
led us through a great tastings of the 2006s.

I felt the 2006 whites showed extremely well overall. There's good
ripeness, but seemingly no lack of acidity. I have no experience with barrel
tasting, but none of these were hard to taste (well, one Meursault had the
acid sticking out a little, Marc said they had stopped the malolactic
partway, he felt it would settle down in bottle). The Pernand-Vergelesses
Blanc was the surprise value of the visit, nice fresh fruit backed with
crisp acidity. A Chassagne (Morgeot, I think) surprised me with its crisp
minerality. The Batard Montrachet showed some underlying power, but was
maybe a little awkward. The wine of the visit for me was probably the
Puligny Referts, which had the Puligny minerality but almost a big broad
almost Meursault-ish body.

The 2006 reds were good, though maybe less uniformly than the whites. We
started with a Pommard "La Commaraine" that had good fruit, but a bit meaty
and tough. The Savigny Guettes was good, the Savigny La Dominode I felt a
bit better. Betsy's favorite was the Vosne-Romanee Beaumonts; indeed this
was a nicely perfumed elegant wine. I liked the Charmes Chambertin, but
preferred both the Echezeaux and the Grands Echezeaux (Marc felt the GE
showed much better than the Echezeaux, I found them different but equally
appealing, so would probably buy the less expensive Echezeaux). Besides the
Grand Crus, the Chambolle "Sentiers" really rocked in my opinion - one 2006
red I'll definitely look for.

In the afternoon we drove through the Cotes de Nuit, before ending up at our
appointment at Domaine Mugnier. We knew Frederic Mugnier was away, but his
young nieces and dog handled the welcome nicely, before turning us over to
Audrey Sadde, M. Mugnier's assistant. She did a great job of taking us (and
a Danish couple) through a tasting of Mugnier's 2006s.

The tasting was in the cellar of the new expanded part of the winery (since
adding back the NSG, production has tripled- the Clos de la Marechal is more
than double the size of all the Chambolle parcels). She explained that all
of the Mugnier wines are given identical elevage. The 2006 Chambolle village
wine (Audrey did an impromtu mix of the 2 parcels, a 1er cru I don't know -I
think she said Plantes, and a village parcel of La Combe d'Orveau to
approximate the final mix). The Chambolle Fuees was probably the hardest to
taste this day; I couldn't really get a handle). The Bonne Mares had lots of
tannins, but still showed a great blend of black cherry fruit and
earthiness. Even as a barrel sample, I thought the Amoureuses was simply
stunning. Elegant, floral, with a hint of spice. I liked it even better than
the Musigny, which was very classic I felt, with an interesting hint of
cocoa. Lastly, she mixed three samples from different parts of the Clos de
la Marechale NSG to approximate the final mix. Tannins were pretty dense,
harder to drink than most the Chambolles, but good potential I think.

Then she led us back to a separate area in the older part of the facility.
There we tasted the 2006 Clos de la Marechale- white! Frederic Mugnier
decided one parcel of the Clos was unsuited for Pinot, and grafted on
Chardonnay. I've tasted the Gouges and Chevillon NSG whites before, I think
this is right up with them. Crystalline white pear fruit, a dense minerally
streak, very tasty. Lastly we sampled from bottles of the 2005 CdlMarechal
and 2004 Clos de la Fouches (a 2nd wine they produced from youngest vines in
Marechale clos in 2004). She had felt the '05 Marechale was suffering from
bottle shock that AM, but now it had opened nicely. Big black Nuits fruit,
earth and spice. A little smoky note. Excellent, and I look forward to mine
arriving. I had been unimpressed with the Clos de la Fouches on arrival, but
this was a lighter style but tasty NSG. I might buy if I saw at good price.

All in all, two excellent visits at two excellent producers. Nice to visit
both a large one and a much smaller one. I'll be looking to buy some 2006s
(especially as it looks like 2007 might be very problematic, according to
both Marc and Audrey).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 18, 10:25?am, "DALE WILLIAMS"
> [...]
> this is right up with them. Crystalline white pear fruit, a dense minerally
> streak, very tasty. Lastly we sampled from bottles of the 2005 CdlMarechal
> and 2004 Clos de la Fouches (a 2nd wine they produced from youngest vines in
> Marechale clos in 2004). She had felt the '05 Marechale was suffering from
> bottle shock that AM, but now it had opened nicely. Big black Nuits fruit,
> earth and spice. A little smoky note. Excellent, and I look forward to mine
> arriving. I had been unimpressed with the Clos de la Fouches on arrival, but
> this was a lighter style but tasty NSG. I might buy if I saw at good price.
>
> All in all, two excellent visits at two excellent producers. Nice to visit
> both a large one and a much smaller one. I'll be looking to buy some 2006s
> (especially as it looks like 2007 might be very problematic, according to

As usual thanks for the great notes. Glad you had a fun and safe trip.