Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bastille Day wines

With tonight's dinner of smoked duck, potatoes and cucumber-tomato
salad, I opened two J et R wines:

1999 Domaine de la Tourade Gigondas
color: garnet with a hint of bricking
nose: quite gamey, with a good underpinning of cherryish fruit
palate: meaty, gamey, background cherry, minerals, decent structure

1999 Domaine Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
c: more vivid garnet with no signs of bricking
n: kirsch, a hint of gaminess and herbs
p: much fruitier than the Gigondas, medium-bodied, kirsch, decent
acidity and a touch of meaty-gamey flavor

Both of these wines are imported by J et R Selections, based in Ann
Arbor, MI and serving those of us in neighboring states. The Grand
Tinel struck me as a fine, honest CdP that didn't have too many
ambitions. Likewise, the Gigondas was the non-oaky version from Tourade
and quite rustic. Both were good reflections of the vintage, and it
could be argued that '99 favored Gigondas slightly more than CdP. Both
wines were quite enjoyable with the food, though Jean and our guest both
preferred the CdP for its more evident fruit.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:54:05 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> 1999 Domaine Grand Tinel Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> c: more vivid garnet with no signs of bricking
> n: kirsch, a hint of gaminess and herbs
> p: much fruitier than the Gigondas, medium-bodied, kirsch, decent
> acidity and a touch of meaty-gamey flavor

Always found Grand Tinel an excellent value. The Domaine's other wines, too:
they used to sell a declassified CdP as table wine that vied with most of the AOC
production of the day. It was a terrific deal at the equivalent of under $2 US! We
used to order scads of cases, anyone who tasted was immediately down for a case
or 3.

Further the family has always been very charming and welcoming.

I understand young Jeune has started commercializing another domaine,
Domaine de Saint Paul. Appears to be a couple of kopecks more expensive
than Grand Tinel. Has anyone tasted?

-E
--
Emery Davis