Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN '05 Nikolaihof GV

With tonight's dinner of leftover BBQ and various salads, I opened a
bottle of:

2005 Nikolaihof 'Hefeabzug' Grüner Veltliner
color: pale green-yellow
nose: faint hints of green peas and minerals
palate: very light, decent acidity, fairly modest flavors

This is my second encounter with this low-end bottling from Nikolaihof,
a producer that I think quite highly of. However, both the '04 and '05
have failed to impress. This wine is correct but uninspiring, and
coming fairly recently after the '06 Gobelsburger, it had a rather large
shadow to escape. Perhaps it's an unfair comparison across vintages,
but this wine strikes me as nothing special.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 6, 1:22�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> With tonight's dinner of leftover BBQ and various salads, I opened a
> bottle of:
>
> 2005 Nikolaihof 'Hefeabzug' Grüner Veltliner
> color: pale green-yellow
> nose: faint hints of green peas and minerals
> palate: very light, decent acidity, fairly modest flavors
>
> This is my second encounter with this low-end bottling from Nikolaihof,
> a producer that I think quite highly of. *However, both the '04 and '05
> have failed to impress. *This wine is correct but uninspiring, and
> coming fairly recently after the '06 Gobelsburger, it had a rather large
> shadow to escape. *Perhaps it's an unfair comparison across vintages,
> but this wine strikes me as nothing special.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I haven't had the '05, but quite lked the '02 and '04 . If I remember
correctly, Hefeabzug is basically German for "sur lie"
I don't think Michael Pronay is fond of this bottling either.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> I haven't had the '05, but quite lked the '02 and '04 . If I remember
> correctly, Hefeabzug is basically German for "sur lie"
> I don't think Michael Pronay is fond of this bottling either.

IIRC, I actually liked the '04 a bit better. I think that there was
just a bit more going on with it. Hefeabzug, literally, means something
like yeast departure, so "sur lie" sounds like a reasonable translation.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> With tonight's dinner of leftover BBQ and various salads, I opened a
> bottle of:
>
> 2005 Nikolaihof 'Hefeabzug' Grüner Veltliner
> color: pale green-yellow
> nose: faint hints of green peas and minerals
> palate: very light, decent acidity, fairly modest flavors
>
> This is my second encounter with this low-end bottling from Nikolaihof,
> a producer that I think quite highly of. However, both the '04 and '05
> have failed to impress. This wine is correct but uninspiring, and
> coming fairly recently after the '06 Gobelsburger, it had a rather large
> shadow to escape. Perhaps it's an unfair comparison across vintages,
> but this wine strikes me as nothing special.
>
> Mark Lipton

I have never had the low end bottling from Nikolaihof but the higher end
ones have been wonderful especially with summer salads. Had the '05
Hefeabzug and was very impressed. Steely and minerally with a touch of
citrus.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> I haven't had the '05, but quite liked the '02 and '04 . If I
>> remember correctly, Hefeabzug is basically German for "sur lie"
>> I don't think Michael Pronay is fond of this bottling either.

Sorry, haven't had the Hefeabzug for ages.

> IIRC, I actually liked the '04 a bit better. I think that there
> was just a bit more going on with it. Hefeabzug, literally,
> means something like yeast departure, so "sur lie" sounds like a
> reasonable translation.

Actually, Abzug or Abstich in the world of wine is what the French
call tirage or soutirage: clearing the wine in cask from lees and
deposits. "Hefeabzug" litterally would be "mise [en bouteille] sur
lie".

M.