Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Online Subscription Choice - Wine Spectator or Wine Advocate

I am pondering an offer to subscribe for a year to ONLINE Wine
Spectator @ $25.

Wine Advocate is $100.

Is there 'that' much difference between the two website offerings.

Does anyone have a decided preference for people on a limited wine
budget (not Charles Shaw -- hehe).

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine
JB JB is offline

Dee Dee,

I don't have any experience with Wine Advocate but I did subscribe to Wine
Spectator on-line for a couple of years. I used extensively their wine
rating feature to check out wines and keep an on-line record of my wine
collection. I used to a lesser extent the forums, vintage chart information
and articles. The cost was initially $19 since I also subscribed to the
magazine and at this price I thought it was a bargain. What will happen
though is that in the second year the price automatically jumps to $49 for
the subscription. (Still less than the $100 WA is asking.) I noticed this
when I first signed up said I didn't want the "automatic" renewal feature. I
understood that I didn't (have this) and then a year later saw the billing
on my credit card. I'm now two months into trying to get the charges
removed.

Enjoy.

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am pondering an offer to subscribe for a year to ONLINE Wine
> Spectator @ $25.
>
> Wine Advocate is $100.
>
> Is there 'that' much difference between the two website offerings.
>
> Does anyone have a decided preference for people on a limited wine
> budget (not Charles Shaw -- hehe).
>
> Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 9:40 am, "JB" > wrote:
> Dee Dee,
>
> I don't have any experience with Wine Advocate but I did subscribe to Wine
> Spectator on-line for a couple of years. I used extensively their wine
> rating feature to check out wines and keep an on-line record of my wine
> collection. I used to a lesser extent the forums, vintage chart information
> and articles. The cost was initially $19 since I also subscribed to the
> magazine and at this price I thought it was a bargain. What will happen
> though is that in the second year the price automatically jumps to $49 for
> the subscription. (Still less than the $100 WA is asking.) I noticed this
> when I first signed up said I didn't want the "automatic" renewal feature. I
> understood that I didn't (have this) and then a year later saw the billing
> on my credit card. I'm now two months into trying to get the charges
> removed.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> "Dee Dee" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> >I am pondering an offer to subscribe for a year to ONLINE Wine
> > Spectator @ $25.

> > Wine Advocate is $100.

> > Is there 'that' much difference between the two website offerings.

> > Does anyone have a decided preference for people on a limited wine
> > budget (not Charles Shaw -- hehe).

> > Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for taking the time to write of your experience. Geez, I can't
stand this type of credit card billing; I'm glad you mentioned this;
because this is too tiresome for me to waste my time on.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am pondering an offer to subscribe for a year to ONLINE Wine
> Spectator @ $25.
>
> Wine Advocate is $100.
>
> Is there 'that' much difference between the two website offerings.
>
> Does anyone have a decided preference for people on a limited wine
> budget (not Charles Shaw -- hehe).
>
> Dee Dee

You should take a look at the Wine Enthusiast websites,
www.wineenthusiast.com and www.winemag.com
The latter is the wine enthusiast with their ratings, which
I have never found significantly different from Spectator,
except that both of these websites are FREE. I have also
subscribed to Spectator on-line for a while and have had
no problems with their billing.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

If your tastes and/or pocketbook run more to lower priced wines, then
erobertparker.com is probably not for you. At $100, it's value lies in
it's database of ratings and tasting notes when searching for wines.
There are indeed some really low priced wines in there - but most are
$30 and way up. I like it because each year I use it to help me find
high QPR Bordeaux for my cellar. The $100 is well spent.
As for Spectator - I still have a problem with their ratings. Too
often I suspect influence based on commercial interest; probably just
paranoia, but it bothers me nevertheless.
You might find that wine forums such as this may be your better bet -
no $, and lots of good info!

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 39 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 9:21 am, Dee Dee > wrote:
> I am pondering an offer to subscribe for a year to ONLINE Wine
> Spectator @ $25.
>
> Wine Advocate is $100.
>
> Is there 'that' much difference between the two website offerings.
>
> Does anyone have a decided preference for people on a limited wine
> budget (not Charles Shaw -- hehe).
>
> Dee Dee

Neither, of course. What a waste of time and money.

"He attributes Napa’s blockbuster style to a desire of winemakers to please their wealthy winery owners with high point scores from magazines such as Wine Spectator or Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate." [email protected] Wine 1 27-06-2013 03:38 PM
Wine Advocate mailed via New Zealand? Yves Wine 0 16-11-2009 02:46 PM
Wine Spectator [email protected] Wine 1 09-11-2008 05:17 PM
Wine spectator has chosen it’s #1 wine R&M Wine 6 24-07-2007 09:09 PM
Parker Wine Advocate -- early newsletters [email protected] Wine 1 03-04-2005 06:28 PM