FoodBanter.com

-   -   1989 Chateau Margaux (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/127987-1989-chateau-margaux.html)

Bi!! 03-07-2007 04:05 PM

1989 Chateau Margaux

My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary last night with a bottle
of 1989 Chateau Margaux. We started with a couple of glasses of Bruno
Paillard NV Blanc de Blanc (disgorged 2002) I which was a nice bright
sparkler with fruity, notes of pear and apples with a nice lemony
finish. I roasted a veal loin and seared some Guinea fowl breasts and
decided on opening an '89 Chateau Margaux. It's been a while since
I've tasted the wine and it's entering it's drinking window imo. The
wine was a medium garnet color totally clear at the rim with a faint
hint of brick in the body of the wine. The nose was sightly oaky at
first but after 30 minutes the aoak blew off and revealed classic
Bordeaux cigarbox and a hint of barnyard but there was an overwhelming
perfume of fresh wildflowers. Typical Margaux elegance on the palate
with a medium body and well resolved fine tannins. The flavors leaned
more towards red currants and raspberry with hints of leather and
minerals. This wine should drink well over the next 10 to 15 years.
Very tasty, very Margaux. Not the best Chateau Margaux I've ever had
but still a fairly solid "A" on the Dale scale.

DALE WILLIAMS 03-07-2007 05:53 PM

1989 Chateau Margaux

Sounds like a great meal and a great wine. Congratulations on your
anniversary, glad you didn't try to have a '72 Bdx!

[email protected] 13-08-2007 06:45 PM

1989 Chateau Margaux

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:05:04 -0700, Bi!! > wrote:

>My wife and I celebrated our 35th anniversary last night with a bottle
>of 1989 Chateau Margaux. ... It's been a while since
>I've tasted the wine and it's entering it's drinking window imo. The
>wine was a medium garnet color totally clear at the rim with a faint
>hint of brick in the body of the wine. The nose was sightly oaky at
>first but after 30 minutes the aoak blew off and revealed classic
>Bordeaux cigarbox and a hint of barnyard but there was an overwhelming
>perfume of fresh wildflowers. Typical Margaux elegance on the palate
>with a medium body and well resolved fine tannins. The flavors leaned
>more towards red currants and raspberry with hints of leather and
>minerals. This wine should drink well over the next 10 to 15 years.
>Very tasty, very Margaux. Not the best Chateau Margaux I've ever had
>but still a fairly solid "A" on the Dale scale.

I opened my one bottle of this a year ago, with much the same results.

JJ