Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN 58 Spanna, 78 Graves, 80 Pommard 90 Amarone and more

Last night a delightful group got together to welcome JC (Jane) who was
stopping in NYC after a trip to the Finger Lakes. We went back to La Grolla,
where Jay, Paulo,and I had all eaten Memorial Day weekend. A nice round
banquette, eager service, and mostly good food. I really enjoyed my spinach
salad w/pancetta and shiitake, the veal ragu was the highlight of the
meal,and my duck breast was good (if a bit overdone). Betsy's smoked trout
ravioli were nice but would have benefited from a bit of sauce; her lamb
chops were tasty if unexceptional. In general I think people really
appreciated the food.

A nice assortment of wines, with 6 of us plenty of chances to revist, and
people nicely chose wines in an attempt to please others. Really a fun group
of people, and I quite enjoyed myself (of course, I always like having Betsy
along, especially when she is designated driver).

NV Camille Saves Brut Champagne
Bright fruity nose, kind of an apple melange, Granny Smith and Golden
Delicious. Light chalky note, just a hint of fresh-baked bread. Pretty but
not compelling (someone said it blossomed later, but I didn't retry). B

2004 Bibi Graetz "Bugia Bianco" (Toscana )
Apparently this is from Ansonica grapes, grown on an island off Tuscany. Big
unusual nose, kind of the ******* child of a Meursault and a Falanghina.
Butterscotch, almonds, and pears. A little oaky and angular. Interesting,
but I wouldn't pay the $50ish price tag at my local store (this was a
gift).B

2006 Hermann J. Wiemer Dry Riesling
One of the nicer Finger Lakes Rieslings I've run across, really pretty. Very
floral nose, with some spiced apple notes. On the palate there is just a
pleasant hint of bitter over clean fresh fruit. I quite enjoy. B+

2004 Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese
Tight and ungiving at first, revisited much later a delicious Riesling had
emerged. Peach and grapefruit over a layer of minerals, great length, nice
balance between acidity and sugar. Better with cheese than as an apertif. A-

1980 Henri Boillot "Les Rugiens" Pommard 1er Cru
I had brought a backup bottle of Lafarge in case this didn't show well. It
stayed in bag. Not for those that value fruit above all else, but popular at
our table. Cedar, smoke, mushrooms, and peatmoss waft above the red cherry
fruit, a little sharp on palate but with food it goes down smooth. A
distinct graphite note that I'd associate more with mature Bordeaux on the
finish, yet it blends in seamlessly with the more typical Burgundy notes of
forest floor and fungi. After awhile Jay gets some brett notes in his
glass, I smell it too, but very light- in my glass it's more a light gamy
note. Revisited through night it remains delightful, while putting on some
weight and developing coffee aromas. My WOTN (by a hair). A-

1978 Haut-Bailly (Graves)
Pretty tight at first. Does well later with some hard cheeses.
Medium-bodied, good acidity, resolved tannins. Red fruit, some tobacco and
cedar. I wish I had taken more time to appreciate, I just was enjoying the
Pommard and Spanna too much. B

1958 Vallana Spanna
Oh yeah, the Spanna. Youthful and vibrant, still a bit of tannin, pretty red
cherry and plum fruit with orange peel, earth, Doesn't budge over 3 hours.
I'll not contest those who claim there's a bit of Taurasi fortification
here. A-/B+

1990 Tommasi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
OK, for those that say Amarone is good with duck, I admit you're right (at
least with duck with a balsamic reduction). Black plum, raisins, leather.
Nice old-fashioned medium-bodied Amarone, still some tannins, good length.
One person found it too acidic, I thought it one of the lower acid reds on
table. B+

1999 Domaine Arlaud Morey "Les Ruchots" Cuvee Unique St. Denis 1er Cru
JC worried that this might be too woody- she had the Arlaud Ruchots before,
but this was the NBI Cuvee Unique. It was showing some oak, with
red fruit and a little mineral on finish. A little more cellar age to
integrate the oak more might help. This was opened too late in the evening
to give it a chance to develop. A possibly unfair B-, would like to try
again in 3-5 years with an evening to watch it.

NV Glenora Port
By the time this came around, I was winding down, and a bit more interested
in retrying some of the earlier wines with my cheese. I did try a little of
this with the gorgonzola, reminded me of a ruby. I didn't pay enough
attention.

2006 Pineto Brachetto d'Acqui
Fun and bright Brachetto, macerated cherries with a little hint of
strawberry, light fizz. I like, but as always with Brachetto think I'd as
soon spend a few less dollars for a Bugey-Cerdon . B

Thanks everyone!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine,
B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

--
Dale Williams
Executive Director

Posted to alt.food.wine

Wow, what a great lineup of wines, Dale, and the people sound good too
;-) I didn't realize that JC was Jane, but I can't say that I really
thought about it, either. It's always nice when the winegeek population
isn't /entirely/ male. How was the food that night? Was it as good as
your previous meal?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 13, 10:21?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Wow, what a great lineup of wines, Dale, and the people sound good too
> ;-) I didn't realize that JC was Jane, but I can't say that I really
> thought about it, either. It's always nice when the winegeek population
> isn't /entirely/ male. How was the food that night? Was it as good as
> your previous meal?
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Similar- good but uneven:
really enjoyed my spinach
salad w/pancetta and shiitake, the veal ragu was the highlight of
the
meal,and my duck breast was good (if a bit overdone). Betsy's smoked
trout
ravioli were nice but would have benefited from a bit of sauce; her
lamb
chops were tasty if unexceptional. In general I think people really
appreciated the food.

Also, Bob Ross said the braised lamb shank on cannelli was excellent,
and the lasagna with the veal ragu (same as on my fettucine) drew
raves.

Cheese course was good - once again out of pecorino; I had a parm.reg,
gorg. dolce, and fontina. Chocolate mousse was suppsed to be good (and
good match with brachetto)

Pretty good deal- no corkage if you spend $50/pp on food, Can see menu
he
http://lagrolla.us/

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 13, 11:09?am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jun 13, 10:21?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > Wow, what a great lineup of wines, Dale, and the people sound good too
> > ;-) I didn't realize that JC was Jane, but I can't say that I really
> > thought about it, either. It's always nice when the winegeek population
> > isn't /entirely/ male. How was the food that night? Was it as good as
> > your previous meal?

> > Mark Lipton

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Similar- good but uneven:
> really enjoyed my spinach
> salad w/pancetta and shiitake, the veal ragu was the highlight of
> the
> meal,and my duck breast was good (if a bit overdone). Betsy's smoked
> trout
> ravioli were nice but would have benefited from a bit of sauce; her
> lamb
> chops were tasty if unexceptional. In general I think people really
> appreciated the food.
>
> Also, Bob Ross said the braised lamb shank on cannelli was excellent,
> and the lasagna with the veal ragu (same as on my fettucine) drew
> raves.
>
> Cheese course was good - once again out of pecorino; I had a parm.reg,
> gorg. dolce, and fontina. Chocolate mousse was suppsed to be good (and
> good match with brachetto)
>
> Pretty good deal- no corkage if you spend $50/pp on food, Can see menu
> hehttp://lagrolla.us/

oh, and the disaster for wine that is artichokes was confirmed, once
again. I decided I wanted the duck breast, even though there were
braised baby artichokes. I carefully ate artichoke, drank copious
water, waited a bit before having wine. No problem. But a couple of
times I forgot, and tooka sip of red wine. It is really a strange
sensation- a little sweetness, a little metallic tinge, but mostly the
red wine just doesn't taste. I don't mind a little artichoke in a
sauce, but by itself the artichoke truly is a winekiller.

TN: $35 Pommard 1er DaleW Wine 0 25-09-2014 02:04 PM
WTN: Wines in CA (Zin, Riesling, SB, Spanna) DaleW Wine 0 04-08-2008 04:25 PM
Oenonecrophiles: Spanna and Chiavennasca Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 3 05-09-2007 11:05 PM
TN: 50 year old Spanna, and I need to spit. Damn! DaleW Wine 3 01-04-2005 01:59 PM
TN: Spanna, CdR, and an Oz Chard Dale Williams Wine 0 18-04-2004 02:56 PM