Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Al Fresco Wines, from Spain, Italy, France

A couple of absoutely gorgeous days in NY, with temps in 70s, brilliant
skies, and nice breezes. Good wine helped, too. Wednesday Betsy made pork
chops with a balsamic/mushroom sauce, with brown rice and salad. We ate on
the porch enjoying the aromas of the honeysuckle blooms and the 2005 Drouhin
"Vero" Bourgogne Rouge. Really lovely for the level, red cherry and currant
fruit with a little note of spice. Some earth. Good acidity, yet nice round
ripeness to fruit. Buy more B+/A-

Thursday we were invited to some friends for an early dinner, happily on
this lovely day they were in walking distance; we strolled over with wine
and appetizers. Betsy had made tuna/pancetta meatballs from a recipe in the
NYT (originally from Esca in NYC) and marinated some mozzarella with basil.
Nancy had prepared "beer can" chicken, sweet potatoes with a spicy
remoulade, a corn salad,and a green salad. The wines:

2006 Larmes du Paradis Rosé, Vallée d`Aoste
I was told this was sold out at Astor after trying a couple of weeks ago;
then Chambers St. sent out a rosé email and there it was. A nebbiolo/freisa
blend. Lovely light bodied rose, a nice backdrop to the meatballs on the
patio. Nose of flowers and wild strawberries, pretty strawberry fruit with
just a hint of bitter cranberry, a mineral note on finish. B+

2001 Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore
A bit big for the chicken, but a rather nice wine. Heavy but tasty fruit,
red cherry accented with raisin and fig notes. A little coffee, leather.
More of a winter wine than a patio one to me, but well-done. B

2005 Menguante Garnacha (Carinena)
Also ill-suited for the meal and weather. Ripe Grenache fruit, although
acidity isn't bad for Grenache. Big, with kirsch and blackberry notes, a
little herb. This could pass for a lesser Gigondas or CdR, but just not my
favorite flavor profile. B

All in all , a couple of good nights of food and wine.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine,
B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

--
Dale Williams
Executive Director