FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN - Birthday wines (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/125723-tn-birthday-wines.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 08-06-2007 05:18 AM

TN - Birthday wines

To celebrate my birthday last night, we traveled down to Indianapolis to
dine at Oakley's Bistro, a restaurant that we had only visited once
before, shortly after its opening. With a very nice dinner (I had
seared scallops as a starter followed by an assortment of vegetable
dishes: veggie "lasagne" consisting of grilled eggplant between layeys
of grilled polenta with a tomato confit on top, a morel souffle that was
the highpoint of the meal, an artichoke chili relleno and cold sesame
noodles; Jean had a shrimp bisque followed by a grilled halibut with
olives, capers and sundried tomato) we had the following wines:

NV Zardetto Prosecco
nose: light, slightly floral
palate: crisp, clean, floral and melon notes, light

2001 Dom. Ramonet Bourgogne Blanc
c: deep yellow
n: initially, very oaky, blowing off to show lemons
p: rounded, midweight, nice acidity, lemons, slight minerality, clean finish

2006 Torres "de Casta" Rosado DO Catalyuna
c: almost hot pink
n: bright strawberry
p: light, bright, strawberries, dry finish

One lovely thing about the wine service was that we were able to get the
Prosecco by the glass and the other two wines by the "quartino," a
container holding 187 ml, enough for about three decent pours. That
enabled us to have a leisurely two hour meal and have no qualms about
the 60 mile drive back home. Of the three wines, the Ramonet was the
most interesting, but the Torres Rosado was a fun little quaffer for a
summertime dinner out of doors.

Mark Lipton

Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] 08-06-2007 03:44 PM

TN - Birthday wines

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> To celebrate my birthday last night, we traveled down to Indianapolis to
> dine at Oakley's Bistro, a restaurant that we had only visited once
> before, shortly after its opening. With a very nice dinner (I had
> seared scallops as a starter followed by an assortment of vegetable
> dishes: veggie "lasagne" consisting of grilled eggplant between layeys
> of grilled polenta with a tomato confit on top, a morel souffle that was
> the highpoint of the meal, an artichoke chili relleno and cold sesame
> noodles; Jean had a shrimp bisque followed by a grilled halibut with
> olives, capers and sundried tomato) we had the following wines:
>
> NV Zardetto Prosecco
> nose: light, slightly floral
> palate: crisp, clean, floral and melon notes, light
>
> 2001 Dom. Ramonet Bourgogne Blanc
> c: deep yellow
> n: initially, very oaky, blowing off to show lemons
> p: rounded, midweight, nice acidity, lemons, slight minerality, clean finish
>
> 2006 Torres "de Casta" Rosado DO Catalyuna
> c: almost hot pink
> n: bright strawberry
> p: light, bright, strawberries, dry finish
>
> One lovely thing about the wine service was that we were able to get the
> Prosecco by the glass and the other two wines by the "quartino," a
> container holding 187 ml, enough for about three decent pours. That
> enabled us to have a leisurely two hour meal and have no qualms about
> the 60 mile drive back home. Of the three wines, the Ramonet was the
> most interesting, but the Torres Rosado was a fun little quaffer for a
> summertime dinner out of doors.
>
> Mark Lipton

Happy birthday Mark. This sounds like a great meal and two of the wines
the Zardetto and Torres I have liked. Where is Oakleys? Is it all the
way downtown? I will be in Brownsburg near the end of the month and may
want to go downtown for a good meal as opposed to Brownsburg.

DALE WILLIAMS 08-06-2007 05:06 PM

TN - Birthday wines

Great notes, and Happy Birthday! I like quartinos.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 08-06-2007 05:45 PM

TN - Birthday wines

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> Happy birthday Mark. This sounds like a great meal and two of the wines
> the Zardetto and Torres I have liked. Where is Oakleys? Is it all the
> way downtown? I will be in Brownsburg near the end of the month and may
> want to go downtown for a good meal as opposed to Brownsburg.

Thanks, Larry. Oakley's is at 86th and Ditch, placing it in the NW of
Indy. You can get there from I-465 E by taking the Michigan exit, going
down Michigan to 86th and then E on 86th to Ditch. I'd say that
Oakley's is one of the better dining opportunities in Indy and not a
part of any chain. There are a few more "upscale" spots, but none whose
standard of cooking is any higher IMO.

Good luck, and please post notes if you do go there (or elsewhere)
Mark Lipton

Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] 08-06-2007 08:09 PM

TN - Birthday wines

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
> > Happy birthday Mark. This sounds like a great meal and two of the wines
> > the Zardetto and Torres I have liked. Where is Oakleys? Is it all the
> > way downtown? I will be in Brownsburg near the end of the month and may
> > want to go downtown for a good meal as opposed to Brownsburg.

> Thanks, Larry. Oakley's is at 86th and Ditch, placing it in the NW of
> Indy. You can get there from I-465 E by taking the Michigan exit, going
> down Michigan to 86th and then E on 86th to Ditch. I'd say that
> Oakley's is one of the better dining opportunities in Indy and not a
> part of any chain. There are a few more "upscale" spots, but none whose
> standard of cooking is any higher IMO.
>
> Good luck, and please post notes if you do go there (or elsewhere)
> Mark Lipton

Thanks, I will go there and post a review.

Richard Neidich 08-06-2007 09:38 PM

TN - Birthday wines

Great Bistro. Its a regular place for some of the people at my company that
reside in Indy.

Emery Davis 08-06-2007 10:11 PM

TN - Birthday wines

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 00:18:35 -0400
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> To celebrate my birthday last night, we traveled down to Indianapolis to

[]
Many happy returns, Mark.

-E
--